Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 days in Portland -help with itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

6 days in Portland -help with itinerary

In 2013 Gardyloo posted some pictures on the Oregon coast and I'm finally getting around to making the trip.

Four nights at the Hilton Executive Tower

Day 1 - landing around 8:15pm so that day is gone
Day 2 - sightseeing in Portland -
Day 3 - Columbia River Gorge and Mt Hood
Day 4 - Mt St. Helens (could change this)
Days 5-6- this is where I need help (staying night 6 at RI in PDX)
Day 7 flying home

The coast is definitely on my agenda. Is it advisable to do the entire coast with those days or are there other ideas out there? It appears that the southern coast is the most spectacular. I'd appreciate any ideas on places to stay and/ or eat on days ( price isn't important).

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; May 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 6:19 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by b1513
In 2013 Gardyloo posted some pictures on the Oregon coast and I'm finally getting around to making the trip.

Four nights at the Hilton Executive Tower

Day 1 - landing around 8:15pm so that day is gone
Day 2 - sightseeing in Portland -
Day 3 - Columbia River Gorge and Mt Hood
Day 4 - Mt St. Helens (could change this)
Days 5-6- this is where I need help (staying night 6 at RI in PDX)
Day 7 flying home

The coast is definitely on my agenda. Is it advisable to do the entire coast with those days or are there other ideas out there? It appears that the southern coast is the most spectacular. I'd appreciate any ideas on places to stay and/ or eat on days ( price isn't important).

Bobette
When is the trip?
Old May 20, 2014, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Eugene is an interesting side trip. It could be combined with part of the coast.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:31 pm

The southern coast is faaaaarrrrr for a day trip. Are you thinking of Coos Bay or something like that? It's about 4 hours each way. If you want to take an easy coast trip, make a loop to Astoria, down to Newport or Tillamook and back to Portland. Crater Lake is about 3 hours and fan-freaking-tastic.

Do spend some time actually in Portland, it's a lovely city. Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, biking, parks, walking everywhere, Pittock Mansion, a boat tour, BEER, world-class food, local distilleries, urban hiking, great donuts, we have a lot of fun stuff right around here. Also, I always suggest the Evergreen Aviation Museum for plane nerds like myself.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
When is the trip?
Arriving May 30 and departing June 6. I'm willing to give up Mount St Helens on day 4 if need be. The two things, currently, that are most important to me are the Columbia River Gorge (and Mt Hood) and the southern coast.

Bobette
Old May 20, 2014, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
The southern coast is faaaaarrrrr for a day trip. Are you thinking of Coos Bay or something like that? It's about 4 hours each way. If you want to take an easy coast trip, make a loop to Astoria, down to Newport or Tillamook and back to Portland. Crater Lake is about 3 hours and fan-freaking-tastic.

Do spend some time actually in Portland, it's a lovely city. Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, biking, parks, walking everywhere, Pittock Mansion, a boat tour, BEER, world-class food, local distilleries, urban hiking, great donuts, we have a lot of fun stuff right around here. Also, I always suggest the Evergreen Aviation Museum for plane nerds like myself.
We weren't planning on doing the lower coast as a day trip. I was thinking of two days or possibly three by forgetting Mt St Helens. Maybe I'm placing too much importance on the coast when there are so many other things to see. Miss J, I've been hoping my husband doesn't do any of his own trip planning because we'd be spending all 6 days in the Aviation Museum .
Old May 20, 2014, 7:29 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Arriving May 30 and departing June 6. I'm willing to give up Mount St Helens on day 4 if need be. The two things, currently, that are most important to me are the Columbia River Gorge (and Mt Hood) and the southern coast.

Bobette
The southern coast is really pretty far - at least 5 1/2 hours, so nuking a day each way.

I think you can get a decent feel for the coast and still keep Mt. St. Helens like this (or the reverse.)

Day 1 - Portland to Mt. St. Helens, say 2 1/2 hours (to Johnston Ridge observatory.) Couple of hours at the volcano (if it's cloudy, could be socked in; if so, consider skipping it.) Then back down the mountain and out to Astoria via WA SR 4 (north bank of the river, more scenic than US 30.) Overnight Astoria. Beer.

Day 2 - Cape Disappointment, on the WA side of the bridge - lighthouses, waves on rocks, hiking, Lewis and Clark, very cool. Afternoon drive to Depoe Bay, Newport or Yachats (Ya-hots) all very scenic central coast towns.

Cape Disappointment -

Day 3 - Drive south to Heceta Head (near Florence) then head inland on US 20 through Corvallis to the Willamette Valley, and back to Portland.

Heceta Head -

Last edited by Gardyloo; May 20, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: Free agent!
For food suggestions, Eater's Portland site is always pretty good. Their list of the essential 38 restaurants is diverse, both in terms of cuisine and price point. I recommend that over the Heatmap because those places tend to be very crowded since they're the place to be at the moment.

Not sure how East Asian food is in Pennsylvania but I'd give it a pass in Portland, especially Chinese food. Feel free to PM for specific restaurant ideas if you have a notion of what type of place you're looking for.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Eugene is an interesting side trip. It could be combined with part of the coast.
For what sounds like a first time visit to Portland, I'd put Eugene way towards the bottom of the list. Judging from the proposed itinerary, it sounds like OP is into outdoorsy stuff, so even something like the Oregon Garden in Silverton sounds like a better bet. I'm not the biggest fan of the Coast but I'd rather spend a day there than Eugene.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Thank for all your input. I can see that going to the southern coast should be a non starter. We'll stick with the northern coast. Your pictures are terrific, Gardyloo. You've convinced me.

Yes. This is my first trip to Oregon and I will check out Eaters Portland. I like any type of Mediterranean food as well as good old American fare.

Again, thanks so much for all of your suggestions. If you can think of anything that would be helpful, just fire away.

Bobette
Old May 21, 2014, 10:54 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Your pictures are terrific, Gardyloo. You've convinced me.
Unfortunately not my pictures, just lifted from the interwebs. But they're indicative.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:11 am

A few other places you can visit easily on a day trip

Old May 25, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hhonors
Impressive photos MissJ.

Just joined flyertalk as I was thinking of heading down to Portland for a visit this summer again. Powell's bookstore is a personal favorite. One restaurant that our family like to swing by each visit is Screen Door. We get the fried buttermilk battered chicken and try some different items off their menu.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyertalk Vtachy.

Bobette
Old May 26, 2014, 1:58 pm

Thanks!

Mmmmm yum. Screen Door is good.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hhonors
Welcome to Flyertalk Vtachy.

Bobette
Thanks for the warm welcome Bobette!

I forgot to mention that the food carts are a blast. Though I would love to hear from locals whether there are any special ones to consider and whether there is better choice on weekdays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.