Wiki Posts
Search

Washington DC/VA/MD during Inauguration Day

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass Silver
Washington DC/VA/MD during Inauguration Day

I am not trying to stay in DC but in Maryland or Virginia. Where are some good places to find a decent hotel in area with some tourist activities? I am willing to stay up to 2.5 hours away. You guys on here usually have some great ideas.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:05 am
Moy

Good luck. The area anywhere near there is virtually sold out, your best bet might be Baltimore or further. There's some nice tourist activities in Philly. Go check out the Liberty Bell. You may just be that far away if you want a hotel during that timeframe!!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:30 am

Philly seems to be & is your only chance.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
The Westin Annapolis has rooms available on 1/20/09 for $399 or 10K Starpoints (SPG Category 4).
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
If you really want to save money, your best bet may be to stay in Long Island, Norfolk or Louisville and take a Southwest nonstop into and out of town each day you need to be there. This requires you take an express bus from BWI or IAD. If you want to go to DCA and hop right on the metro, of course you'll need to figure out which city has cheap nonstop flights on other ailrines into DC. For example, NW from Detroit, or DL from Atlanta (less likely to be cheap) might work.

If you really want to drive in (I don't recommend this, I think its going to be more trouble), you might have to go as far out as places like Williamsburg, Salibury, Troy, Hagerstown, Harrisonburg (I haven't checked but I suspect this is the case). If so, then, with added traffic jam time, you're looking at 7 or 8 hours on the road each day.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by sc flier
The Westin Annapolis has rooms available on 1/20/09 for $399 or 10K Starpoints (SPG Category 4).
Now if you really can get this for 10,000 Starpoints, that's what I would do. That would be a real bargain given the way things are in DC that week. The commute from Annapolis is not that bad, there are train, bus, and metrorail options to take you in for the worst part of the commute.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

look at private rentals.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have pointed this out before. search waldorf and laplata md for motels. it is called southern maryland. all of calvert county should have rooms. find the ones that do not do a booking service. these places are within an hour of downtown dc. they are off the end of earth. no one in northern virginia has ever heard of them.

you will probably need a car to get to the subway.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
(Warning: Possible thread-jack. Mods, feel free to move this to its own thread.)

What do you think the airport situation on the 19-21 is going to be like?

Of the big three (IAD, DCA, BWI) which is most likely to run smoothly? Most resistant to bad weather, crowds, etc.

Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
The night before or after or both? The Courtyard in Manassas has rooms on 1/20 for $179.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Ztras
What do you think the airport situation on the 19-21 is going to be like?

Of the big three (IAD, DCA, BWI) which is most likely to run smoothly? Most resistant to bad weather, crowds, etc.

Thanks.
I don't think one is going to be any better or worse than the others on those dates, especially the 21st. They will all be a madhouse!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki

you will probably need a car to get to the subway.
And you will be competing for parking at the subway station with the other 1.5 million people who will be trying to get into town via the same method.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass Silver
I am flying into philly. My family is flying into Raleigh and staying near richmond. My dad has things he wants to do in NC that is why. This will be an adventure for sure.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Some folks have reported finding award availability at Hiltons in Washington, DC that week.

Last edited by Uniter; Dec 18, 2008 at 9:43 am
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OnABudgetDiva
I am flying into philly. My family is flying into Raleigh and staying near richmond. My dad has things he wants to do in NC that is why. This will be an adventure for sure.
but the inaug is in dc last i heard. how you plan to get from 100 miles away to inaug on inaug day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.