Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Transfer Velocity points for SQ class upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Apologies for what I think is probably a fairly straight-forward question but I wasn’t able to find an “exact” answer to from searching.

I have some SQ flights booked and am thinking about using some Velocity points to purchase a class upgrade (currently Economy), but had a couple questions about the process.

My understanding is that I:
*Create a Krisworld FF account.
*Link Krisworld FF to Velocity FF account & transfer desired amount of points (understand the transfer conversion rate has gotten worse this year).

What I was curious about was the next step, for my current booking I haven’t yet attached either my SQ FF # or my VA FF #.
I assume to use the transferred points I would need to attach my SQ FF # to get access to them for the upgrade? In turn this means points earnt for this flight will be on my SQ account rather than my VA account (thus i’d need to transfer that back to VA if I have no use for the SQ account)? Is that right? Or is there a way to have my VA # on the booking but somehow still use the points I’ve transferred?

My other query is for my partner I’m travelling with, I would need to credit them some of my points to do the same upgrade, is there anyway to do that from my account or would I need to transfer between our VA FF accounts, and then follow same process for them as above?

Sorry for what are probably simple questions, but I wanted to ensure I got this right before transferring points and getting stuck!
Old May 7, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

beersushi Welcome to FT

Is the SQ flight eligible to be upgraded with SQ points?
Upgrades are from certain.
Sample--->No Available Seats for Redemption Upgrade

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...&query=Upgrade
Old May 7, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
beersushi Welcome to FT

Is the SQ flight eligible to be upgraded with SQ points?
Upgrades are from certain.
Sample--->
Hi,
Thanks!

i’m unsure as I get this error “Your booking cannot be upgraded.Online redemption upgrades can only be made if passenger names in the booking match the names of the KrisFlyer member or his/her redemption nominees.”.

My name in SQ FF account is identical to booking, so I think this error is actually because I haven’t added my SQFF to the booking itself yet, does that sound right?
Old May 7, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Not only do you need a KF account yourself, you need to add your partner as a "redemption nominee" and then you just use the points from the single points pool.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Add your SQ number to the flight. You'll need it to perform the upgrade.

After the upgrade clears, it may be possible to swap your VA number to the booking and still credit to VA. Just depends on how SQ systems work (I don't have experience with KF).
Old May 9, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
You have to ensure that the KF account that you create is exactly the same name as the paid fare ticketed - ie dont put middle name in the KF account if your middle name is not on the paid ticket. Same goes for the redemption nominee.

Assuming your paid fare is one that miles are able to upgrade (the discounted fares you cannot) you then need to ring SQ to see if any upgrade seats are available and if not you can ask to be added to the waitlist (if available). Note that upgrade inventory is different for redemption inventory (even though same fare letter) - for example I am on a waitlist for SIN - SEP business seat upgrade which is I class on a paid ticket, but there are straight out redemption seats in I class available on the website.

There is no need to transfer the Velocity points until you have the actual upgrades available. Once they are available (either over the phone or later through waitlist clearing) you can transfer, happens instantly so you can do it whilst you are on the phone. After all that, yes you can then add your VA numbers to the travel and get VA points and status credits for the fares paid.
RTWFF likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all that’s been really helpful information.

To cover-off/what my experience has been so far. The name not matching error I saw when first checking for point upgrade eligibility on the booking was due to my partners ticket under the same booking reference, I had not yet added their name as a Redemption Nominee on my account (as we’ll use my points), once I sorted that all was happy in the online system as both names, not just mine, matched.

Unfortunately for us the segment I was hoping to upgrade on has no reward seats available, however I spoke with LiveChat and they’ve waitlisted us.
This is without me having enough points in my account as I’m yet to transfer any points to my Krisflyer account. My understanding is that if we are accepted then I’ll have a day/few days to transfer points to my account and accept the upgrade at that point, fingers crossed!
Old May 16, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
yes that is best option to wait list, you can transfer VA points pretty much instantly so if the waitlist clears (you will get an email + a SMS to respond within 48 hours or it will be cancelled) you can then transfer the points and ring up and confirm the upgrade...
buffegg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.