Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Air NZ and Virgin Australia to end trans Tasman alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ and Virgin Australia to end trans Tasman alliance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Ok, gotta ask, what's a "ditch hopper"?
TT = trans Tasman = Au <---> NZ
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Ok, gotta ask, what's a "ditch hopper"?
Australians and NZers call the Tasman "the Ditch" just like UK and US call the North Atlantic "the Pond".

Just a recognition that we are quite close.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Thank you Mwenenzi and FlossieFlyer! Can't wait to use that term and fly the Tasman myself.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:43 am

Looking more likely to move back to Qantas for me :-/
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
'World's cheapest airline' Tigerair could land in New Zealand as parent company prepares to announce 'exciting news'

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/10...-exciting-news
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
'World's cheapest airline' Tigerair could land in New Zealand as parent company prepares to announce 'exciting news'

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/10...-exciting-news

Very poor writing given the ownership of VA is as written is incorrect. And has been that way for a long time
But Virgin Australia, owned by Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group, still has an ace up its sleeve in the form of its subsidiary Tigerair.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Australia_Holdings
In May 2016, HNA Group (part owner of Hainan Airlines), announced plans to purchase a 13% stake in Virgin Australia Holdings, which if approved will see existing owners' shares diluted. Air New Zealand's stake would become 22.5%, Etihad would hold 21.8%, Singapore Airlines 20.1% and Virgin Group 8.7%.[16] A month later Air New Zealand sold 19.9% of VAH to Nanshan Group (majority owner of Qingdao Airlines);[17] and in October, Air New Zealand sold its remaining 2.5% of VAH to Nanshan Group (majority owner of Qingdao Airlines).[18] A month later Virgin Australia CEO John Borghetti wrote to the airline's pilots to reassure them the airline was in a sound financial position following publication of a report suggesting the airline was approaching insolvency.[19][20]
And VAi that operates Aust<--->USA has different ownership (Au majority)

And a long way from 'World's cheapest airline''

On my TT flights have government taxes & fees of Aust-->NZ ~Au$115 and NZ-->Aust ~NZ$55. Those costs will not go away.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 6, 2018 at 10:23 pm
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I assume World's cheapest airline' is based on how they treat their customers, not how much it costs!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-PLT, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Does anyone know if Virgin if planning to start Mel-WLG leg once this partnership goes away! Could be a blessing in disguise for this route if we get economy X.
I have tried flying Qantas , but as someone said earlier, you miss economy X when you get use to it.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by rattlerr
Does anyone know if Virgin if planning to start Mel-WLG leg once this partnership goes away! Could be a blessing in disguise for this route if we get economy X.
I have tried flying Qantas , but as someone said earlier, you miss economy X when you get use to it.
Maybe they will just use the codeshare on the SQ MEL-WLG service?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-PLT, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Maybe they will just use the codeshare on the SQ MEL-WLG service?
Yes, that will make sense for short period. But the flight timings are a bit odd for SQ flights for general work travel, and 2 flights during weekdays.
They will potentially loose a lot of business to Qantas.

Last edited by rattlerr; Jul 19, 2018 at 2:28 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
I am surprised there is no announcement as to what is happening with TT travel - ie lounge access, codeshare, FF points etc - given that the end of what is a significant partnership in 3 months
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CorporateFlyer
I am surprised there is no announcement as to what is happening with TT travel - ie lounge access, codeshare, FF points etc - given that the end of what is a significant partnership in 3 months
Some unofficial information here--> https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-aust...ckland-flights
Qantas and Air New Zealand business class passengers and top-tier frequent flyers will enjoy reciprocal airport lounge access, while travellers will also be able to earn points and status credits in each airline's respective loyalty program on flights booked under the appropriate codeshare.
But is unusual nothing official. Some people will be booking 3 months out and for a small minority of passengers ( including some FTers) ff earning will be of interest. Most airline passenger have little interest in ffp's. We on FT are part of the small minority.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
Yes, I would like to know what lounge access VA will have for its tier members in Akl, Chc, Wlg etc
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CorporateFlyer
Yes, I would like to know what lounge access VA will have for its tier members in Akl, Chc, Wlg etc
I assume you mean for international flights as VA will have nothing to offer for NZ domestic flights

At CHC there is the Manaia (international) lounge used by QF, EK, CI, CZ & others. In years long gone it was the QF Club lounge. As a wild guess VA will use that for status-business class. Will be interesting to see if QF continue to use that or the Air NZ lounge

There is also a Manaia lounge in Queenstown

Wellington--> https://www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/...rport/lounges/
No independent 3rd party international lounges in the international departure area.

But lounge access for status & business class is really simple---> just money and what VA will pay others for access.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I guess the old EK lounge at AKL, it became a PP ISTR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.