Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia announces flights from Melbourne to Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold

"From 5 July 2017, Virgin Australia will operate five return services per week between the two cities, using dual aisle Airbus A330-200 aircraft. Virgin Australia’s proposed alliance with HNA Aviation and Hong Kong Airlines will enable customers to connect through Hong Kong to 13 destinations in mainland China. "

http://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/...urne-hong-kong
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Upgrading with Points

So I am taking my mum on a trip to Hong Kong, China and Singapore next year and I thought - sweet I can buy economy and use stashed points to upgrade.

Checked the fares for eligible classes, OK a lot more expensive than the el cheapo tickets (that I cannot upgrade on) but about 1/2 price of the Business tickets.

Right, time to wait for T-331 days. Date came and went..no award space available online. But I remember an article from Ausbt that said we had to call to enquire. Right then. Every few days I have been calling to see if anything has been released. Nope, nothing. J class still all wide open but no Z class available. Hmmm not looking good for upgrade.

Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the tickets and then get myself on the waitlist, so a least I was there. Done deal. Time to call GCC.

Got through to a lovely lady on the platinum desk and went through the issues I have been having. She said OK I'll waitlist you but also let me call the Revenue team and see if there is anything they can do. I explained that nothing had been released from 331 to today (it is not as though it has sold out) it just was not ever released.

Outcome - she called back about 1 hour later and said Rev team approved the upgrade, points taken from account and seats selected.

Lessons leant
1. Even if you are on the waitlist and a Z fare is released you will not automatically get it. If you are on the waitlist these are only looked at 4 days prior to the flight so it is recommended to keep checking before. (This is what the lovely lady told me)

2. I also wanted to use my free upgrades to and from MEL but I only had one left from this year (my renew date is 16/07) and the lovely lady was able to confirm upgrades each way and said she would take the other 3 from my account when they dropped in.

This year's miracle has just happened so I don't expect anymore now until next year

Now if those pesky points from my flight on Monday would post.....
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:20 am

Wow. A positive outcome. Awesome. Shame it was a bit of a palaver but you got what you wanted. Seems like perseverance pays of with VA. Hope you enjoy the flight.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
So I am taking my mum on a trip to Hong Kong, China and Singapore next year and I thought - sweet I can buy economy and use stashed points to upgrade.

Checked the fares for eligible classes, OK a lot more expensive than the el cheapo tickets (that I cannot upgrade on) but about 1/2 price of the Business tickets.

Right, time to wait for T-331 days. Date came and went..no award space available online. But I remember an article from Ausbt that said we had to call to enquire. Right then. Every few days I have been calling to see if anything has been released. Nope, nothing. J class still all wide open but no Z class available. Hmmm not looking good for upgrade.

Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the tickets and then get myself on the waitlist, so a least I was there. Done deal. Time to call GCC.

Got through to a lovely lady on the platinum desk and went through the issues I have been having. She said OK I'll waitlist you but also let me call the Revenue team and see if there is anything they can do. I explained that nothing had been released from 331 to today (it is not as though it has sold out) it just was not ever released.

Outcome - she called back about 1 hour later and said Rev team approved the upgrade, points taken from account and seats selected.

Lessons leant
1. Even if you are on the waitlist and a Z fare is released you will not automatically get it. If you are on the waitlist these are only looked at 4 days prior to the flight so it is recommended to keep checking before. (This is what the lovely lady told me)

2. I also wanted to use my free upgrades to and from MEL but I only had one left from this year (my renew date is 16/07) and the lovely lady was able to confirm upgrades each way and said she would take the other 3 from my account when they dropped in.

This year's miracle has just happened so I don't expect anymore now until next year

Now if those pesky points from my flight on Monday would post.....
it's a shame the tickets need to be flexi class to be upgraded
Mine get wasted
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Are the 4 Platinum upgrades available for the -HKG services? I didn't think so - but that is an interesting gamechanger...
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:44 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shuuy
Are the 4 Platinum upgrades available for the -HKG services? I didn't think so - but that is an interesting gamechanger...
Sure are, they are for use on short haul international which is the category Asian flights fall under.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
9 hours = short-haul. Amazing!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
9 hours = short-haul. Amazing!
No - I upgraded using points - 27500 per person each way - and you have tell them that - they kept trying to quote me 45000 (to LAX). But it is written on the Velocity Website under upgrades.

The free ones I used on the BNE-MEL & MEL-BNE flights.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by markis10
Sure are, they are for use on short haul international which is the category Asian flights fall under.
You cannot use them for Hong Kong flights. DPS, NAN and other Pacific maybe, but not Hong Kong.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
it's a shame the tickets need to be flexi class to be upgraded
Mine get wasted
Yes, that was the gamble. The Getaway fares were almost 1/2 price of the Freedom fares and it would have been an expensive eco ticket if I was not successful.

I am in CBR so on a regular basis I have to book Freedom fares to get out, as that is all that is available with the Pollies around. Lucky work pays for most of them.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by ollieinmelbourne
Wow. A positive outcome. Awesome. Shame it was a bit of a palaver but you got what you wanted. Seems like perseverance pays of with VA. Hope you enjoy the flight.
It was frustrating before I got this lady. They just kept saying nothing is available, check back later. Grrr..
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:17 pm

You cannot use them for Hong Kong flights. DPS, NAN and other Pacific maybe, but not Hong Kong.
Yep, South East Asia is the wording, if I didn't know better the upgrades page seems to provide more clarification now.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:27 pm

"The Business" or not?

Back again, with another question about the flights to Hong Kong.

I remember when they announced the flight back in March that they would be using the refurbed A330 to have "The Business" available. I noticed the inaugural flight was on VH-XFD which has "The Business".

If I go into make a dummy booking for my dates they are selling "The Business" but ExpertFlyer and the lovely lady at Virgin both indicate that it is 2/2 config.

I thought all the A330s were refurbed last year?

My flight dates at MEL-HKG - 30/04 and HKG-MEL - 19/05 if that makes any difference.

Any advice?

Cheers

FF
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:04 am

If I go into make a dummy booking for my dates they are selling "The Business" but ExpertFlyer and the lovely lady at Virgin both indicate that it is 2/2 config.

I thought all the A330s were refurbed last year?

My flight dates at MEL-HKG - 30/04 and HKG-MEL - 19/05 if that makes any difference.

Any advice?

Cheers

FF
They have all been refurbished, some sites show it as 2/2 when in fact it's 1/2/1.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
but ExpertFlyer and the lovely lady at Virgin both indicate that it is 2/2 config.

VA never had 2x2 on their 332's, only 2x2x2 or 1x2x1.

However, looking at seat maps on expertflyer I see this:

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing MEL on 30/04/18 for HKG
Flying VA flight 87 in Business

A   D       G   K   
1       +   +       +   +       
2       -   -       +   +       
3       +   +       +   +       
4       +   +       +   +       
5       +   +       +   +       
        A   D       G   K
... which with it's aisle matches no business configuration ever operated by VA.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 12, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.