Search

Chance of a business u/g BNE-LAX (SEA)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA- Platinum
Chance of a business u/g BNE-LAX (SEA)

Hi,
I'm Velocity Gold hand have a good amount of points.

I need to travel to Seattle in Feb, departing Aus on Sunday and departing SEA on Fri/Sat. Can anyone tell me if there's a reasonable chance of upgrading with points to business and any hints on finding availability.

I know I need to book Freedom to be able to upgrade so would rather try to understand if an upgrade looks possible before paying the extra cash. In fact I might take a shorter flight on Canadian if an upgrade looks really unlikely.

I've previously had expertflyer and would subscribe again if someone can tell me what to look for.

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:23 am

Have you considered booking a Freedom fare and instead of upgrading when one appears just booking a reward instead?
and refunding the freedom?

Even on the wait list you won't get upgraded until 10days out from your flight automatically, so if you do book a freedom you're still going to have to check daily to see if it appears.

My tips would be check everyday and I find they appear around 5-7pm AEST.
What are your dates exactly?
I check every day twice a day, and I've managed to get 2 J reward redemptions and a J upgrade on Jan-20 VA7 just waiting for a J reward for 30 or 31st of Jan on VA 7 to appear for my wife ( she is joining me after a conference in Vegas) and for 2X J redemptions on the 8th of Feb on VA8.

I've been lucky enough to find the ones I am waiting on in PE and I've secured them for now, but will cancel and exchange in a heartbeat for those J's
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA- Platinum
Thanks for your reply, I don't have enough points to book a business reward unfortunately, plenty for upgrades (have a about 300,000 atm).

I was looking at getting a freedom return and what the best way of getting the u/g from there was.

Sounds like I need to book freedom & go on the waitlist, but what do you mean check twice a day? What am I checking for?

Dates are out BNE-LAX-SEA 12/2/17 on VA8, back 17/2/16 SEA-LAX-BNE on VA8.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Have you considered PE? It's about $600 more for the round trip.

Other than that, upgrades out may be possible.

Loadings for those VA7/VA8 flights show 7's in all business categories.

Keep looking daily, some upgrade seats may appear from about a week out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.