Search

Bye Bye Jungle Jets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:59 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Bye Bye Jungle Jets

Sad news today, while some of the five E190s are coming back for a short stint, the whole fleet of Jungle Jets as wells as some ATRs are leaving Virgin, with the the E190s gone in three years, no doubt replaced by prehistoric F100s
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...dccbf3b71c659e
Virgin Australia plans to raise $852 million and sweep the broom through its operations by cutting its aircraft fleet and workforce.
<snip>
Under Virgin's cost cutting plan, the group will cut its smaller fleet of ATR turboprop aircraft and remove all of its E190 aircraft from its fleet over the next three years.

Virgin said the fleet changes will assist the group in simplifying its business and becoming more "scalable and productive."

Virgin recently struck agreements with two Chinese companies, aimed at improving its financial and strategic position.
As a result, the airline will be more than one-third owned by China's HNA Group and the Nanshan Group.
<snip>
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF Silver
I can't see the F100s being used, Virgin cares too much about its brand and product. I reckon it'll just be 737s. There's nothing an embraer can do that a 737 can't.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:22 am

It surprised me when I heard that the E90's were going - they fit a really decent slice of the market by allowing VA to maintain frequency without flying a whole heap of refrigerated air around the East Coast. I've noticed them being utilised more recently on BNE-SYD and BNE-TSV, whereas they used to be quite tough to find on both of those routes in previous years.

It will be interesting to see how all of this to-ing and fro-ing works itself out with the new investor - will we see more 777's purchased/leased to cover the Chinese connection?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by hello-o-rama
I can't see the F100s being used, Virgin cares too much about its brand and product. I reckon it'll just be 737s. There's nothing an embraer can do that a 737 can't.
It's really getting rid of the E190 maintenance that VA is doing this. Supposedly the cost of maintenance outweighs any saving on the seat yield vs the 737. I also wouldn't be surprised if they convert Tiger to 737s as well.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: QF Silver, VA Gold
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Supposedly the cost of maintenance outweighs any saving on the seat yield vs the 737. I also wouldn't be surprised if they convert Tiger to 737s as well.
Yes interesting comments and will be sad to see the E190s go, the implication being this is simply a cost cutting measure to close down one fleet type entirely, despite all the postings about the E190s being more maintenance intensive per flight hour, or indeed having worse economics than the B737-800 I still haven't seen any real actual stats or reports from reputable sources that back up the theory that E190s cost more to run.

Your comments about simplifying the TT fleet to all B737 operation might make sense from a combined VA/TT maintenance group, are the current TT A320 fleet maintenance outsourced somewhere in Australia or outsourced overseas?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unsure how much they do. http://www.amsa.net.au/ Click customers
Aircraft Maintenance Services Australia (AMSA) PTY LTD is a wholly-owned subsidiary of SIA Engineering Company and provider of world class aircraft maintenance services to a wide variety of domestic and international airlines.

The company has been operating since 1992 and has grown from a modest team of fifty employees when purchased by SIA Engineering Company in November 2007 to over one hundred and forty employees in 2014.
<snip>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIA_Engineering_Company
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by eastwest101
Your comments about simplifying the TT fleet to all B737 operation might make sense from a combined VA/TT maintenance group, are the current TT A320 fleet maintenance outsourced somewhere in Australia or outsourced overseas?
Both VA and TT heavy maintenance is outsource to NZ
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:54 am

In the share offer presentation released today it mentions that all TT branded 320s will be replaced by 738s within 3 years.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by hello-o-rama
Yep, there is.
Getting in and out of Cocos and Christmas Island for instance. I believe it's the aircraft weight that is the issue on fragile airstrips. They must be looking at exiting this "government backed" operation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.