Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interlining on Etihad

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Interlining on Etihad

I am flying CBR - BNE (VA flight number on ticket issued by VA), then connecting BNE - SIN (EY flight number on separate ticket issued by EY).

Will VA check in my luggage at CBR all the way to SIN?

If there is a delay to my CBR - BNE flight, will either VA or EY be putting me on the next EY flight BNE - SIN?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:37 pm

I'm not sure if things would have changed recently, but last time I checked (about 6 months ago) with the staff at CBR was that they will not check through luggage on EY or EK unless the travel is on a single ticket!
I found it a bit odd given how 'close' EY and DJ claim to be.

I suggest you give them a call on (02) 6230 4559 just to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:42 pm

Sadly the 'next' EY BNE-SIN flight is at best 48 hours away (they only fly 3 times a week Mon Thu and Sat) and they will not 'hold' the flight for you. I suggest you take an earlier DJ flight to have 2+hours of transit time in BNE.

I am surprised that EY/DJ does not market a fare for this route, perhaps not wanting to upset SQ?
After checking on EF, VA do publish CBR-SIN fares that allow CBR-BNE-EY/VA-SIN routing. Great value I must say (cheapest comes at 690+taxes return!)

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your quick reply. Indeed Virgin Australia wrote back to me and confirmed that they only interline for Etihad if it's on one itinerary.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

This EY and DJ alliance is really odd. I called the SIN office of EY today to inquire about the fare for SIN - CBR - SIN (EY's website couldn't price hence I thought its call center may be able to).

The very nice lady's immediate response was that EY only flies to BNE and not to CBR!

I know, I know... but doesn't EY have this very widely publicised partnership with DJ? Surely they have a code-share for the BNE - CBR route?

She put me on hold for quite a while, then replied that the EY fares for BNE - CBR - BNE aren't loaded in their system! Apparently these fares are only availed for "special promotions, from time to time". So I was advised to just book SIN - BNE - SIN and buy a separate ticket for BNE - CBR - BNE direct from DJ which - you guess it - doesn't come with baggage intelining!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: Too many
It's certainly weird! I booked an international long haul through points online and had some questions. Virgin staff transfered me to their EY outsource staff. They really need to interline everything better, noone knows much a lot of the time!
Old May 19, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Does anyone know if there has been any change to this policy? Like the OP we are on VA to MEL then EY to LHR on separate tickets, in our case the former a VA award ticket, the latter an AA award ticket.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by louie-m
Does anyone know if there has been any change to this policy? Like the OP we are on VA to MEL then EY to LHR on separate tickets, in our case the former a VA award ticket, the latter an AA award ticket.
Still the same nonsense unfortunately.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Still the same nonsense unfortunately.
Well..... I rang Virgin to ask them but they said no. Then I asked again at Hobart and the check in chap had no problem at all doing it.

Mind you I'm still in Hobart waiting for the flight so I won't know whether the luggage arrives OK for another 30 or so hours!
Old May 25, 2016, 3:29 pm

Bags were almost first off the carousel in LHR so all OK.

Regardless of the policy (which may or may not be to through check), it shows the check in staff can check bags through if they wish to.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Must have been a smooth talker

I was told they couldn't through check VA to VA ticket on NZ metal but they could through check VA to NZ ticket on NZ metal, will test that out next week.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:02 am

Bags were almost first off the carousel in LHR so all OK.

Regardless of the policy (which may or may not be to through check), it shows the check in staff can check bags through if they wish to.
Technically it has always been feasible. The policy for VA does stand (checked this morning with local airport staff), no interlining on separate itineraries.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Many things are or were possible/feasible. VA used to check me through to TG, SQ, UA when I was connecting from HBA on a separate PNRs to *A trips... Not anymore... QF did that too in the past. Not anymore either... I just have to build that into my plans... Harsh? Yes for me, but I can understand why they do (not do) that...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
They checked through VA separate PNR to separate NZ PNR OK. Was told they could do that for any of the partners. But I couldn't do VA to VA(NZ operated) on separate tickets.

Looks like it's just up to the check in agent!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.