FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   HKG-LHR flights: operating or not? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/2048712-hkg-lhr-flights-operating-not.html)

NickB Aug 4, 2021 4:44 am

HKG-LHR flights: operating or not?

Flights from LHR to HKG seem to be progressively cancelled as we get nearer to travel dates. OTOH, HKG-LHR flights still show as operating pretty much every day. Are these HKG-LHR flights genuinely operating or not? Does that mean that VS operates an empty positioning flight to HKG everyday (presumably carrying cargo but no pax)?

RAPC Aug 4, 2021 8:39 am

Operating. I was due to be on one of them a few days ago. (Managed to get the cancellation cost waived for the redemption though)

They are ok to fly back with passengers, but have been flying out with cargo only.

NickB Aug 4, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks. Presumably this is to avoid the risk of being subject to a temporary ban by HKG authorities in case too many pax end up being positive on arrival or during quarantine.

Jma12 Aug 5, 2021 4:44 am

Originally Posted by RAPC (Post 33463332)
Operating. I was due to be on one of them a few days ago. (Managed to get the cancellation cost waived for the redemption though)

They are ok to fly back with passengers, but have been flying out with cargo only.

How did you manage to get it cancel without fer? I booked TLV-LHR in Nov. but they said there will be charges for canellation..

RAPC Aug 5, 2021 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Jma12 (Post 33465875)
How did you manage to get it cancel without fer? I booked TLV-LHR in Nov. but they said there will be charges for canellation..

I had two one ways booked: LHR-PVG // HKG-LHR. The Shanghai flight was cancelled a while ago, but the Hong Kong flight didn't get cancelled. My argument was that my outbound was cancelled and I was not offered any alternative to get to the region, which would allow me to get home. The agent agreed, so processed it without charge. I wasn't expecting them to waive it, but I thought I would ask!

If I had a straight forward redemption that was operating and I was choosing to cancel, then I would 100% expect the cancellation fee though.

simonsmith Aug 10, 2021 11:05 am

We are meant to be flying to Hong Kong 30 sept so I have been keeping an eye on this. The whole of august has been cancelled for some time and September is still live . I have not seen them gradually rolling on cancellations.

RAPC Aug 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Not sure what data you are looking at, but VS207 from HKG to LHR has been operating daily so far this month.

simonsmith Aug 10, 2021 2:02 pm

Cargo yes , but they are not selling tickets for passengers so far as I can see

RAPC Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am

Mine was one of the flights operating that I had to cancel. Definitely still operating for passengers as well. A quick search and tickets still widely on sale for the VS flights from HKG to LHR.

You need to search for them as one way flights, due to restrictions on LHR-HKG flights, but the ex-HKG service is running daily as normal.

NickB Aug 11, 2021 4:02 am

Originally Posted by RAPC (Post 33481662)
Mine was one of the flights operating that I had to cancel. Definitely still operating for passengers as well. A quick search and tickets still widely on sale for the VS flights from HKG to LHR.

You need to search for them as one way flights, due to restrictions on LHR-HKG flights, but the ex-HKG service is running daily as normal.

This is what I am seeing too and this has been the pattern for quite some time: LHR-HKG cancelled for passengers on a rolling basis but HKG-LHR operating with tickets on sale.

simonsmith Aug 11, 2021 4:29 am

I was looking at LHR to HKG , have not generally been available to book in August for some time but are still being sold in September , hence me wondering when / if they will cancel my outbound flight .

NickB Aug 11, 2021 6:45 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith (Post 33481952)
I was looking at LHR to HKG , have not generally been available to book in August for some time but are still being sold in September , hence me wondering when / if they will cancel my outbound flight .

Almost certainly yes. Just wait a few weeks more.

simonsmith Aug 11, 2021 6:47 am

Tx NickB

Tofino87 Aug 11, 2021 7:43 am

On a related note, I read yesterday that BA were starting their service up again from August 16th - looks like LHR-HKG is now possible again (albeit with heavy quarantine restrictions), for passengers.

But last I checked the earliest bookable was 25/8 with VS. Wonder if the announcement will change things much.

RAPC Aug 11, 2021 8:04 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 33482174)
Almost certainly yes. Just wait a few weeks more.

I'm trying to track down a link, but I believe that flights are due to re-start in the next few weeks as the explicit ban on UK (and other High risk areas) has been replaced by the acceptance of HKG residents with vaccination documentation. On that basis, VS were due to start up again, which seems to line up with Tofino87's comment.

They are currently running daily outbound for cargo, so I would expect them to be accepting passengers again outbound, as well as the already running ex-HKG services.