HKG-LHR flights: operating or not?

Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HKG-LHR flights: operating or not?

Flights from LHR to HKG seem to be progressively cancelled as we get nearer to travel dates. OTOH, HKG-LHR flights still show as operating pretty much every day. Are these HKG-LHR flights genuinely operating or not? Does that mean that VS operates an empty positioning flight to HKG everyday (presumably carrying cargo but no pax)?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Operating. I was due to be on one of them a few days ago. (Managed to get the cancellation cost waived for the redemption though)

They are ok to fly back with passengers, but have been flying out with cargo only.
NickB likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. Presumably this is to avoid the risk of being subject to a temporary ban by HKG authorities in case too many pax end up being positive on arrival or during quarantine.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RAPC
Operating. I was due to be on one of them a few days ago. (Managed to get the cancellation cost waived for the redemption though)

They are ok to fly back with passengers, but have been flying out with cargo only.
How did you manage to get it cancel without fer? I booked TLV-LHR in Nov. but they said there will be charges for canellation..
Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Jma12
How did you manage to get it cancel without fer? I booked TLV-LHR in Nov. but they said there will be charges for canellation..
I had two one ways booked: LHR-PVG // HKG-LHR. The Shanghai flight was cancelled a while ago, but the Hong Kong flight didn't get cancelled. My argument was that my outbound was cancelled and I was not offered any alternative to get to the region, which would allow me to get home. The agent agreed, so processed it without charge. I wasn't expecting them to waive it, but I thought I would ask!

If I had a straight forward redemption that was operating and I was choosing to cancel, then I would 100% expect the cancellation fee though.
Jma12 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We are meant to be flying to Hong Kong 30 sept so I have been keeping an eye on this. The whole of august has been cancelled for some time and September is still live . I have not seen them gradually rolling on cancellations.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:12 pm

Not sure what data you are looking at, but VS207 from HKG to LHR has been operating daily so far this month.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Cargo yes , but they are not selling tickets for passengers so far as I can see
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:31 am

Mine was one of the flights operating that I had to cancel. Definitely still operating for passengers as well. A quick search and tickets still widely on sale for the VS flights from HKG to LHR.

You need to search for them as one way flights, due to restrictions on LHR-HKG flights, but the ex-HKG service is running daily as normal.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAPC
Mine was one of the flights operating that I had to cancel. Definitely still operating for passengers as well. A quick search and tickets still widely on sale for the VS flights from HKG to LHR.

You need to search for them as one way flights, due to restrictions on LHR-HKG flights, but the ex-HKG service is running daily as normal.
This is what I am seeing too and this has been the pattern for quite some time: LHR-HKG cancelled for passengers on a rolling basis but HKG-LHR operating with tickets on sale.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 4:29 am

I was looking at LHR to HKG , have not generally been available to book in August for some time but are still being sold in September , hence me wondering when / if they will cancel my outbound flight .
Old Aug 11, 2021, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simonsmith
I was looking at LHR to HKG , have not generally been available to book in August for some time but are still being sold in September , hence me wondering when / if they will cancel my outbound flight .
Almost certainly yes. Just wait a few weeks more.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 6:47 am

Tx NickB
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:43 am

On a related note, I read yesterday that BA were starting their service up again from August 16th - looks like LHR-HKG is now possible again (albeit with heavy quarantine restrictions), for passengers.

But last I checked the earliest bookable was 25/8 with VS. Wonder if the announcement will change things much.
NickB likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Almost certainly yes. Just wait a few weeks more.
I'm trying to track down a link, but I believe that flights are due to re-start in the next few weeks as the explicit ban on UK (and other High risk areas) has been replaced by the acceptance of HKG residents with vaccination documentation. On that basis, VS were due to start up again, which seems to line up with Tofino87's comment.

They are currently running daily outbound for cargo, so I would expect them to be accepting passengers again outbound, as well as the already running ex-HKG services.
NickB likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.