Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

50% off reward redemptions (Ended 30 Nov 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50% off reward redemptions (Ended 30 Nov 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Definitely worth trying again if you don’t get the answer you like! I wonder if their CS leave visible notes against a booking each time you reach out to discuss or (try to) amend?
Depends on the agent. I have had a conversation with an agent about an existing booking, which was then picked up on a second call without me having to repeat most of it again. I didn't ask for them to log anything, but in this scenario, it was helpful.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:02 am

Reading the previous post it seems to be a mix of responses from Virgin Atlantic regarding the re-booking of flights using the same points as the 50% promo.
I have a flight booked for April to Tel Aviv which currently is still flying. Speaking to Virgin they insisted the only way to move the date was to pay the extra points.

Is it a case of trying again with a different agent? Would I have more chance of moving without additional points if the flight was cancelled? Do I take voucher type option and hope they have a points offer in the future and re-book when the offer is available?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by munch2001
Reading the previous post it seems to be a mix of responses from Virgin Atlantic regarding the re-booking of flights using the same points as the 50% promo.
I have a flight booked for April to Tel Aviv which currently is still flying. Speaking to Virgin they insisted the only way to move the date was to pay the extra points.

Is it a case of trying again with a different agent? Would I have more chance of moving without additional points if the flight was cancelled? Do I take voucher type option and hope they have a points offer in the future and re-book when the offer is available?

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you move the flight then

If the new flight is Before 31st May you pay no extra.
If after 31st May then you pay the fare difference in points.
My early post

If VS cancel then you have a right to move the flight at your convenience and at no extra cost.
My earlier post
So leave your decision until the last minute IMHO to give you a better choice.
pazza2000 and munch2001 like this.

Last edited by blindman; Mar 5, 2021 at 11:28 am
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:24 am

I’ve just had a minor schedule change by mins on my 50% promo flight, I suspect it’s not enough to get a rebooking at current rates beyond 31st May however, although the email does prompt one to reach out if the change doesn’t suit.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Our CPT flight in UC next weekend has been cancelled . Booked in the 50% off points sale .
Three agents said only course of action was to take a refund . After an hour on the phone with a particularly helpful agent today who had to seek help from the duty manager they swapped it to Hong Kong in October for the same miles . I was really impressed and grateful .
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by simonsmith
Our CPT flight in UC next weekend has been cancelled . Booked in the 50% off points sale .
Three agents said only course of action was to take a refund . After an hour on the phone with a particularly helpful agent today who had to seek help from the duty manager they swapped it to Hong Kong in October for the same miles . I was really impressed and grateful .
Good to know it’s possible! Any tips to get that outcome, or just hang up and try again?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
WhatsApp I tried three times unsuccessfully
ringing was a pain as took so long but worked
pazza2000 and babyg_wc like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:05 am

Yes I already had the impression that there is a better likelihood to success over the phone! Their Whatsapp service is certainly useful, however maybe more so for simpler query’s.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Great result!

Just goes to show if VS cancel you have the right to change flights as per their Flight Disruption policy though getting them to not charge extra miles for this was a bonus!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by blindman
Great result!

Just goes to show if VS cancel you have the right to change flights as per their Flight Disruption policy though getting them to not charge extra miles for this was a bonus!
You are in much the same position if they do adjust to charge the full mileage. You can take a full refund and can rebook when suits. I don’t look at being able to rebook at the price paid if your flight is cancelled as a bonus. Virgin of course have taken a different stance.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:11 pm

Can't seem to find a good thread to ask this in, so apologies for asking here but I didn't want to start a thread for it.

When used for flights, what's the generally accepted value of a Virgin Point? I usually collect Avios but with the decent offers around lately I'm considering moving my Amex membership points over to Virgin instead (I'm closing my Amex). Is it basically around the 1p = 1 point like an Avios? Would probably be redeeming into upper class if that makes a difference. Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:07 pm

Yes same valuation as Avios, generally speaking, I’d maybe value them slightly higher with the new redemption options via KLM/AF, although YMMV there, you could argue Virgin’s future prospects are still on uneven ground.
RG1X likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:41 am

Programs: BA, M&M
Booked a ticket in the 50% off sale and was due to to fly this week. Flight was cancelled. I moved my flight to August with no change in points needed (keeping the 50%). I was told it was possible to keep the ticket "open" and rebook at a later date still with no change. I was also told that there needed to be reward availability for the new flights as the fare bucket would have been different between a May and August flight.
pazza2000 and babyg_wc like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by londonbusflyer
Booked a ticket in the 50% off sale and was due to to fly this week. Flight was cancelled. I moved my flight to August with no change in points needed (keeping the 50%). I was told it was possible to keep the ticket "open" and rebook at a later date still with no change. I was also told that there needed to be reward availability for the new flights as the fare bucket would have been different between a May and August flight.
Great data point, I’ll maybe be in a similar situation myself shortly. I did wonder if they would be more flexible with reward ‘sale’ bookings than they would revenue ‘sale’ booking which others seems to be having real issues with. The reward sale bookings were valid through to October ‘22 I believe, I wonder if that has any bearing on a rebooking before then not seeing a reprice?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Great data point, I’ll maybe be in a similar situation myself shortly. I did wonder if they would be more flexible with reward ‘sale’ bookings than they would revenue ‘sale’ booking which others seems to be having real issues with. The reward sale bookings were valid through to October ‘22 I believe, I wonder if that has any bearing on a rebooking before then not seeing a reprice?
Out of interest, I'm assuming that this flexibility at 50% off is only on bookings that VS have cancelled. Have got a summer redemption to PVG and back from HKG. Based on recent Chinese government messaging, there isn't much of a chance that they will be opening the borders to the UK by then.

I'd love to be able to switch them to another destination (with award availability) for either the same timings, or later this year, but at the moment I'm guessing that I can't do anything proactively and will have to wait it out until June or July for the expected cancellations.
pazza2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.