Search

Question about upgrading Economy to UC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Question about upgrading Economy to UC

Hi all first time poster
Flying from LHR to LAX AT 0920 on Sept 5th

I purchased an economy light ticket and pre booked exit row seat in advance but i'm toying with the idea of upgrading to UC
I used the 'manage my booking' option to go on the bid to upgrade section but it says currently unavailable for this flight.
Is this because upgrades aren't available for economy light customers or because UC is sold out?
Also would upgrading on the day at the airport be an option paying cash and if so what would it likely cost one way to LAX?
Thanks
JJ
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I do not fly Economy Light at all, so may well be wrong here, but I was under the impression that it was not upgradable. Although that's probably only with miles, as confirmed by this document.

Traditionally, on the day cash upgrades are an entirely different story. Upgrading with cash from non-upgradable PE is allowed, so I would assume that it is also the case with Economy Light.

I suspect manage booking isn't showing it for one of the following reasons:
  • Fare basis does not allow it
  • No seats available in Upper
  • VS not willing to allow upgrades on that flight for revenue management reasons (tied in with previous reason and could change, so keep checking)
If you want to know what price it is today, which likely involves a re-ticket, then feel free to contact VS. However, that will likely be expensive. If you take the airport option and there is an upgrade available (which there is no guarantee of) then I would expect a cost of around £1200 from Economy to Upper, one way on that route - if not more.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks Commander B
I suspected it may be because of the ticket I hold that bid to upgrade isn't an option.
I guess I will likely have to ask on the day and hope for a good deal
Thanks for the extra info
Cheers
JJ
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does VS even allow 2-class upgrades? (Whether for miles, bidding in advance, or day-of-departure). Or would an economy ticket limit one to upgrading to Premium Economy at the most?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jones
Thanks Commander B

Thanks for the extra info
Welcome

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Does VS even allow 2-class upgrades? (Whether for miles, bidding in advance, or day-of-departure). Or would an economy ticket limit one to upgrading to Premium Economy at the most?
AFAIK they do allow two class. I have done Economy Delight and had offers in the App and Manage Booking to do bids as well as straight upgrades. This only happens when booking direct though.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Poster

I have booked directly through VA website but not allowing me to bid to upgrade. Just states bid to upgrade not currently available please keep checking at Manage your booking or ask at the airport on the day.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You can upgrade Y to J using miles. It costs a lot of miles / taxes / surcharges and I'd have to dig out the allowed fare classes in Economy. But it can be done...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Hi Craig
Thanks for the info but I would be upgrading paying cash as I have no miles
JJ
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
VS allows multiple class upgrades with miles
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jones
Hi Craig
Thanks for the info but I would be upgrading paying cash as I have no miles
JJ
If miles turns out to be the only option you can always look at the cost of buying miles to use for upgrades, but it's unlikely to be a fantastic deal.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You can upgrade Y to J using miles. It costs a lot of miles / taxes / surcharges and I'd have to dig out the allowed fare classes in Economy. But it can be done...
I'm pretty certain that Economy Light cannot be upgraded. Classic and Delight can be though. In fact Delight to Premium is a brilliant choice because you benefit from the same 50 TP's as low premium tickets, but get more miles (150% VS 100%).
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CommanderB
I'm pretty certain that Economy Light cannot be upgraded. .
You may well be right.

It does become exhausting to constantly double-check because so many airlines use the same fare bucket codes for "light", "HBO", "basic" etc. that they do for classic fares.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You may well be right.

It does become exhausting to constantly double-check because so many airlines use the same fare bucket codes for "light", "HBO", "basic" etc. that they do for classic fares.
I agree. It's somewhat of a nightmare and unless you know way too much information, the agents can pull the wool over your eyes as well. The document I linked to in post 2 has become a go to for dealing with anything Economy related on VS. Needless to say, when you start getting technical with a Gold line agent, they're somewhat surprised that people know how this all works better than they do.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by CommanderB
In fact Delight to Premium is a brilliant choice because you benefit from the same 50 TP's as low premium tickets, but get more miles (150% VS 100%).
This is something that baffles me. Why would I pay a higher fare to fly Premium Economy when I get the same number of tier points and more miles when flying Economy Delight? (and before someone asks why I would pay a higher fare for Economy Delight when it's still just Economy I'll refer you back to the miles and tier points )
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:54 am

Premium is actually a bigger end better seat. Wider, more leg room, more recline, better food and service and a smaller cabin. Economy Delight is just a better positioned seat in Economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.