FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Virgin Atlantic: Any Luck With Bid for Upgrade PE to Upper? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1901289-virgin-atlantic-any-luck-bid-upgrade-pe-upper.html)

Nancy Colson Mar 29, 2018 8:47 am

Virgin Atlantic: Any Luck With Bid for Upgrade PE to Upper?

Last week I had to book a fairly last minute flight JFK/LHR/JFK. Upper return would have been in excess of $7000 so I opterd for PE. I usually fly Business Class so am not too excited about this.

I was thinking about upgrading the LHR-JFK flight and took a look at the Bid for Upgrade option. Right now suggested bids are $800 Fair; $1000 Good; $1480 Excellent. Seems steep but it is Marathon weekend in London.

Has anyone tried and had luck bidding or am I better off trying to secure a paid upgrade at the airport?

I should mention that I took about a 10 year break from Virgin after a truly horrific flight in UC (food poisoning on the flight out; extensive delays on the return) so I have no status or miles. I like to think of this as my starting over flight with Virgin.

FlyinHawaiian Sep 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I was offered to purchase an upgrade from Premium to Upper Class last night JFK-LHR when I checked my bag with the agent; the price was $1150. I didn't bite. As a DL Platinum member, I already had Clubhouse and Revivals access, so the cost of the upgrade for a flat-bed seat for the short leg wasn't worth it to me.

UKtravelbear Sep 16, 2018 2:37 pm

If you don't win on the bid system that does not preclude you from a cash upgrade at the airport though there is no guarantee that they would be offering upgrades on the day.

CommanderB Sep 17, 2018 2:56 am

Check in upgrades for JFK/LHR are usually in the region of £6-800 if available.

If it were me, i'd wait and then try and get a check in one.

ab_initio Sep 30, 2018 6:29 am

Anyone have an idea of what LHR-LAX PE->UC day of departure upgrades fees are? Thanks in advance!

VXforever Sep 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ab_initio (Post 30262809)
Anyone have an idea of what LHR-LAX PE->UC day of departure upgrades fees are? Thanks in advance!

800-1000 GBP

this route is often sold out in UC so don’t count on it though

ab_initio Sep 30, 2018 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30264221)

800-1000 GBP

this route is often sold out in UC so don’t count on it though

Thanks! 4 seats left for sale and the flight leaves in 14 hrs so here's to a bit of hope =)

VXforever Oct 1, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ab_initio (Post 30264411)
Thanks! 4 seats left for sale and the flight leaves in 14 hrs so here's to a bit of hope =)

Any luck?

ab_initio Oct 1, 2018 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 30267947)
Any luck?

Yes, was quoted 1149 GBP then for some odd reason it went down to 849 GBP when she found out I was ticketed through Delta...can't figure that one out unless it's like a 300 GBP change fee or something. At 1149 I was noncommittal but at 849 it worked out great.

VXforever Oct 4, 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ab_initio (Post 30268357)
Yes, was quoted 1149 GBP then for some odd reason it went down to 849 GBP when she found out I was ticketed through Delta...can't figure that one out unless it's like a 300 GBP change fee or something. At 1149 I was noncommittal but at 849 it worked out great.

That's odd -- glad it worked out in your favor.

escapefromphl Oct 10, 2018 6:08 pm

If I booked SFO/LAX-LHR-JNB in PE could I get upgrade offer for both legs at check-in?

CommanderB Oct 16, 2018 3:16 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 30301689)
If I booked SFO/LAX-LHR-JNB in PE could I get upgrade offer for both legs at check-in?

No, You can only upgrade for the segment you are flying. Anything more than that, likely requires proper re-ticketing. Upgrading these complex itineraries is usually not so simple, but ask at Check-in and they will give you the options.

bergamini Oct 19, 2018 3:38 pm

I booked PE and so if I either do a bid upgrade to Upper Class or buy the upgrade at check-in (SEA>LHR), what do they send to DL in terms of fare class? I am DL Diamond and already earning 30% MQD / 150% MQM so mostly just curious. I doubt it would be J and since I'm on K (PE) fare, it earns the same MQM as all non-J business fares. I don't need the extra 10% MQD but would be open to 200% MQM!

CommanderB Oct 22, 2018 3:08 am

All the airport upgrades to Upper I have ever had, have been booked into Z. That's what the boarding pass showed, and that was what the miles/TP's earn was.

gitismatt Jan 28, 2019 11:13 pm

when does the bid tool generally open? my company travel portal booked me through VS instead of DL so I can't upgrade with miles and am left to the mercy of the bid program (not paying $3k for JFK-LHR). i'm currently 35 days from departure with only one seat in UC occupied. just curious when the bid option would start (it's not currently available)