Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic: Any Luck With Bid for Upgrade PE to Upper?

Old Mar 29, 18, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Last week I had to book a fairly last minute flight JFK/LHR/JFK. Upper return would have been in excess of $7000 so I opterd for PE. I usually fly Business Class so am not too excited about this.

I was thinking about upgrading the LHR-JFK flight and took a look at the Bid for Upgrade option. Right now suggested bids are $800 Fair; $1000 Good; $1480 Excellent. Seems steep but it is Marathon weekend in London.

Has anyone tried and had luck bidding or am I better off trying to secure a paid upgrade at the airport?

I should mention that I took about a 10 year break from Virgin after a truly horrific flight in UC (food poisoning on the flight out; extensive delays on the return) so I have no status or miles. I like to think of this as my starting over flight with Virgin.
Old Sep 16, 18, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was offered to purchase an upgrade from Premium to Upper Class last night JFK-LHR when I checked my bag with the agent; the price was $1150. I didn't bite. As a DL Platinum member, I already had Clubhouse and Revivals access, so the cost of the upgrade for a flat-bed seat for the short leg wasn't worth it to me.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 24, 18 at 6:45 am
Old Sep 16, 18, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
If you don't win on the bid system that does not preclude you from a cash upgrade at the airport though there is no guarantee that they would be offering upgrades on the day.
Old Sep 17, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Check in upgrades for JFK/LHR are usually in the region of £6-800 if available.

If it were me, i'd wait and then try and get a check in one.
Old Sep 30, 18, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Anyone have an idea of what LHR-LAX PE->UC day of departure upgrades fees are? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 30, 18, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ab_initio View Post
Anyone have an idea of what LHR-LAX PE->UC day of departure upgrades fees are? Thanks in advance!
800-1000 GBP

this route is often sold out in UC so donít count on it though
Old Sep 30, 18, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by VX N281VA View Post

800-1000 GBP

this route is often sold out in UC so donít count on it though
Thanks! 4 seats left for sale and the flight leaves in 14 hrs so here's to a bit of hope =)
Old Oct 1, 18, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks! 4 seats left for sale and the flight leaves in 14 hrs so here's to a bit of hope =)

Any luck?
Old Oct 1, 18, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by VX N281VA View Post
Any luck?
Yes, was quoted 1149 GBP then for some odd reason it went down to 849 GBP when she found out I was ticketed through Delta...can't figure that one out unless it's like a 300 GBP change fee or something. At 1149 I was noncommittal but at 849 it worked out great.
Old Oct 4, 18, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Yes, was quoted 1149 GBP then for some odd reason it went down to 849 GBP when she found out I was ticketed through Delta...can't figure that one out unless it's like a 300 GBP change fee or something. At 1149 I was noncommittal but at 849 it worked out great.
That's odd -- glad it worked out in your favor.
Old Oct 10, 18, 7:08 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
If I booked SFO/LAX-LHR-JNB in PE could I get upgrade offer for both legs at check-in?
Old Oct 16, 18, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
If I booked SFO/LAX-LHR-JNB in PE could I get upgrade offer for both legs at check-in?
No, You can only upgrade for the segment you are flying. Anything more than that, likely requires proper re-ticketing. Upgrading these complex itineraries is usually not so simple, but ask at Check-in and they will give you the options.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I booked PE and so if I either do a bid upgrade to Upper Class or buy the upgrade at check-in (SEA>LHR), what do they send to DL in terms of fare class? I am DL Diamond and already earning 30% MQD / 150% MQM so mostly just curious. I doubt it would be J and since I'm on K (PE) fare, it earns the same MQM as all non-J business fares. I don't need the extra 10% MQD but would be open to 200% MQM!
Old Oct 22, 18, 4:08 am

All the airport upgrades to Upper I have ever had, have been booked into Z. That's what the boarding pass showed, and that was what the miles/TP's earn was.
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
when does the bid tool generally open? my company travel portal booked me through VS instead of DL so I can't upgrade with miles and am left to the mercy of the bid program (not paying $3k for JFK-LHR). i'm currently 35 days from departure with only one seat in UC occupied. just curious when the bid option would start (it's not currently available)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: