Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Major changes to Flying Club announced today (31 Oct 16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major changes to Flying Club announced today (31 Oct 16)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Two of my routes have changed, Orlando in upper class (non peak) has gone down a small amount 100k to 95k, but Atlanta up from 80k to 95k.

Peak doesn't cover half term school holidays where as BA does.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
That chart is helpful.

Originally Posted by stuart_f
I'm not sure why planing to regain Gold is any more difficult that it was before.

He's a comparison table showing the old tier points, the same old tier points multiplied by 25 so that they use the same units as the new system and, finally, the new tier points.

There are some winners (J, C, D) and especially (I) and some losers (K, H) and (Y,B,R,L,U,M). (V,E,Q,X,N,O) are the biggest losers by being cut in half but then again, half of not a lot is still not a lot.

The old Silver level was 15 points and is now 400. A slight rise (it should translate to 375 but 400 is a nice round number) since nothing earns only 15 tier points under the new system it shouldn't actually matter much.

The old Gold level was 40 points and is now 1000. No change.

Planning should be pretty straightforward.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; VS Gold; IHG Spire Royal Ambassador; Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; M Life Plat
Wondering what will happen to Delta flights in First Class. I've been getting 3 tier points per segment in first class on Delta. Wonder if that will equate to 75 new tier points or not. I've got an F trip in Delta with 4 segments booked on the 17th of November, so I guess it will be a surprise to find out what happens...
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
So it looks like miles needed for off-peak economy and PE went down from my area (Northeast - IAD), while miles needed for peak E and PE are close. Upper class is up across the board. The decline, notably for PE, is a bit surprising to me.

And we get two weeks notice, which I suppose is better than some airlines provide nowadays.

I didn't see any mention of changes on their relatively low change fees, so I agree with 36902BRF that book now is the way to go...
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
And we get two weeks notice, which I suppose is better than some airlines provide nowadays.
To be clear on the redemption side the changes don't take effect to January 16, 2017 so we have some time on those.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by WorldJumper
Wondering what will happen to Delta flights in First Class. I've been getting 3 tier points per segment in first class on Delta. Wonder if that will equate to 75 new tier points or not. I've got an F trip in Delta with 4 segments booked on the 17th of November, so I guess it will be a surprise to find out what happens...
I've also been wondering the very same thing, I have a LHR-ATL trip on DL in December.

I've called Flying Club twice to ask, the first rep said there was going to be no change at all (i.e. same TPs on the new system which sounds absurdly low) and the second said they haven't been informed yet as it's undecided (which makes a bit more sense).

Guess it's just a case of wait and see for now.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
The CC side of things is another open question. Right now it's 1 TP/$2500 spent in the US (out of 40 for Gold, which is not bad...in theory with aggressive spending you can get 24/40 taken care of, which is 60%). 1 TP out of 1000 needed for Gold is nigh-on useless (24/1000 is 2.4%, or not even equivalent to a single discount Economy leg).

I wish they'd have an announcement on DL...very seriously, an announcement on DL either way would affect travel plans for next week and the week after for me since I'm at 23/40 right now and could easily knock my way to 35/40, if not 39/40 or more (and I should have one more coming via the CC before things flip, which means 40/40). FWIW I'd get there "organically" by the end of my year (e.g. April) otherwise, this just affects some discretionary travel between DL and Amtrak.

Edit: By the way, does anyone know what the changes are for one-way? I've generally looked at one-way awards instead of return because if nothing else it avoids playing mix-and-match games on the phone and whatnot.

Edit 2: On DL...if it's the "same", then it may be time for me to find a new earning partner to spool off of DL (or to bite the bullet and put up with their train wreck of a program...no redemption table plus strictly spend-based earning and no practical chance at maintaining a high status means the program is basically a useless exercise for me).

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Oct 31, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
The CC side of things is another open question. Right now it's 1 TP/$2500 spent in the US (out of 40 for Gold, which is not bad...in theory with aggressive spending you can get 24/40 taken care of, which is 60%). 1 TP out of 1000 needed for Gold is nigh-on useless (24/1000 is 2.4%, or not even equivalent to a single discount Economy leg).
That's 1 old TP per $2500 which directly translates to 25 new TP per $2500. Not sure why you think you'll only get 1 new TP.

Whether CC spend should get any TP at all is another debate though
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
I
Redemption rates in PE and Y have gone down across the board. Good news if you are sat on a stack of miles and aren't dead set on redeeming in UC. UC has gone up in almost all cases but not by very much. I suppose it could have been worse.
West Coast USA has gone up 55% for peak period redemptions (35% off peak).

Adey
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mradey
West Coast USA has gone up 55% for peak period redemptions (35% off peak).

Adey
Edit: oh I see now. You are referring the UC bit having gone up. You quoted the whole paragraph which made me think you had found Y or PE increases of 55%.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Edit: By the way, does anyone know what the changes are for one-way? I've generally looked at one-way awards instead of return because if nothing else it avoids playing mix-and-match games on the phone and whatnot.
Interested to know this as well - I'd assume half the return rates, but I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. Makes booking awards way easier.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:16 pm

Interested to know this as well - I'd assume half the return rates, but I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. Makes booking awards way easier.
From the PDF linked up thread "All miles shown in the table above are per roundtrip. For one way, the miles are simply half of the round trip". The table referenced in the note is on page 4 and is for award redemptions. So I'd say one-way is still ok.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... I'd assume half the return rates, but I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.,,,
It is mentioned in the PDF download:

All miles shown in the table above are per roundtrip. For one way,
the miles are simply half of the round trip.
http://discoverflyingclub.virginatla...pending-us.pdf
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
That's 1 old TP per $2500 which directly translates to 25 new TP per $2500. Not sure why you think you'll only get 1 new TP.

Whether CC spend should get any TP at all is another debate though
Because I wouldn't put it past an FFP to frak up like that? ;-) I'd want to presume it would convert smoothly, but I wouldn't want to assume it.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Is the new earning amount effective for flights after 13 November or BOOKINGS made from 13 November? I bought my ticket in late December last year, and am hoping that my Johannesburg-London-Los Angeles "O" class ticket on 23 November will earn at the same rate, but I'm assuming the answer is no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.