Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Austin Cocktails Cucumber Mojitos?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold
No more Austin Cocktails Cucumber Mojitos?

On the past few flights I’ve taken (a mix of westcoast short-haul and DAL-LAX/SFO), I’ve consistently noticed that the Austin Cocktails Cucumber Mojito drink hasn’t been stocked. It’s printed on the menus they hand out in F for the DAL flights, yet it’s never catered. It’s a disappointment, because it’s actually REALLY good. I kinda ignored it at first, but once I tried it, I’ve always asked for it.

I’ll be flying to AUS tomorrow — which is the most logical route to serve it on (if they had to choose only one). If its not stocked there, I’ll assume it’s gone.

I’m sure the drink isn’t very popular, mainly because no one knows about it. After all, it’s the product of an Austin hipster startup. But if VX wants to serve great-but-unknown drinks (which they should!), they’d see more success if they advertised them (even subtly or casually recommended by FAs) in addition to merely offering them.

Is this drink — along with the First Amendment IPA — going away? Are subtle cuts like these — minuscule in isolation, but brand-devaluing in aggregate — indicative of the post-IPO Virgin America? Small things like this are little steps away from the hip brand that generated VX’s loyal following in the first place. Hopefully its not a sign of more to come!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Gold; Hyatt: Diamond
They didn't have it on both segments to/from DAL-LGA. On the way back they didn't even have printed menus.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Like I said in my IPA post, these drinks are revenue producing (in the back) but random stuff like Cran-Apple are not. Let's swap some weight and load a single 6-pack of "The Good Stuff" instead of Cran-Apple

The only reason people order those random drinks is because someone else did, and you can bet that the first person only drinks it when flying!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:14 pm

This cocktail has been discontinued from all of our flights, with the exception DAL - AUS, in which it will be offered as a complimentary option.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I make sure to drink lots and lots of scotch when I fly. That way utilization stays high and they never get rid of it.

You're welcome.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
This cocktail has been discontinued from all of our flights, with the exception DAL - AUS, in which it will be offered as a complimentary option.
I'm impressed that you know this! I flew 9 segments between Tues-Fri, many of them involving AUS or DAL, and got 9 different reasons why the Austin Cocktails beverage wasn't available (catering forgot it, they don't make it anymore, we're out of stock, etc.).

I think that's a great idea to make it complimentary on DAL-AUS. It's good from a competitive edge (SW doesn't offer that) and people in TX are way more likely to know of the brand.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I was surprised, and really glad, to see that these drinks are stocked in the Loft @ LAX!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.