Wiki Posts
Search

Damage laptop in luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Damage laptop in luggage

on a recent trip we have a laptop that has its screen cracked in the luggage. Came home since Tuesday but didn't think of it until just now. Is it too late to file a clam or is it even possible to make such claims at all?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Damage laptop in luggage

Things like damaged laptops, or broken souvenirs will be difficult to prove that they were damaged by the airlines, especially since some time has elapsed.

Was this a bag that was opened by TSA and wasn't properly stowed back?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure, it belongs to my wife's friend coming home from their Bachelorette in cabo. She just told me today about it. She didn't mentioned anything about the bag was open. She just said there's a crack on the edge of the laptop and the screen no longer come on.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
So the laptop was in checked luggage?

Ah, yeah, good luck on that. You're not supposed to check valuables in luggage.

A homeowners/renters policy may provide some relief, but with many deductibles being high, it's likely they'll pay for the repair/replacement totally.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
So the laptop was in checked luggage?

Ah, yeah, good luck on that. You're not supposed to check valuables in luggage.

A homeowners/renters policy may provide some relief, but with many deductibles being high, it's likely they'll pay for the repair/replacement totally.
yah she was already prepared to eat it up but I thought I'd ask. 2 weeks old laptop $1500 in pieces. LOL
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
yah she was already prepared to eat it up but I thought I'd ask. 2 weeks old laptop $1500 in pieces. LOL
I bet she won't do that again.

Wouldn't hurt to see if it was bought with a credit card that offers some sort of damage protection.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Who checks in (sensitive) laptops in luggage that is going to be conveyor-belt handled by bumps and jolts ??
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The fact that the laptop was in the suitcase at all when she opened it is a miracle within itself. I would have thought it would have been stolen for sure!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
The fact that the laptop was in the suitcase at all when she opened it is a miracle within itself. I would have thought it would have been stolen for sure!
Despite dire warnings on your local news, thefts from luggage are very rare events - particularly if you take reasonable precautions such as a luggage lock.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
Despite dire warnings on your local news, thefts from luggage are very rare events - particularly if you take reasonable precautions such as a luggage lock.
Rare? Define rare. 1 in 100,000?

There seems to be certain cities where baggage handlers, TSA and the like target bags with high value stuff in it.

20 years ago, when the CoC did not exclude taking video cameras in luggage, I had an old one in one of my bags going to SJO. It was stolen, of course. At least after a lot of time, I did get reimbursed for it.

Luggage locks are silly. TSA has to be able to view your stuff, so they will cut it off, or they have the keys to open them. Most zippered luggage can be opened with a simple ball point pen.

If a TSA agent can rip off an iPad at a checkpoint in full view of everyone, just imagine what they can do when they're in a secluded luggage hold, or back room at an airport.

It's just not wise to put valuables of any sort in checked luggage. If not outright theft, damage can happen.

My kid went on a CRJ a few years back by herself. She couldn't fit her 22" in the small luggage bins, so they made her put it the hold, and then pick it up at the plane when she landed. She had just jammed the laptop into the outside pocket of the bag. When she turned it on, the screen was messed up. Not smart at all.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps it was already broken when the potential thief took a look at it?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:16 am

you should go for it might they have some sort of solution.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Agreed! I had a charger and mouse stolen from a checked bag.

Seriously, who steals a charger and mouse?? Doesn't even seem worth the effort. And yes, the bag must have been examined by TSA or someone because the TSA approved lock still ended up getting cut off or not getting put back on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.