Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VX Virgin - advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hiima
Unless it changed VX and V Aus use the same terminal 3.
It has been years since VA flights departed from Terminal 3.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jan 6, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Hoping my post fits in this thread, as I couldnt find anywhere else it might be relevant.

I am thinking of booking a VX flight IAD LAX (in February, possible snow issues).

I am already booked on same day VA flight LAX SYD - was unable to book the VX flight together with VA so wont be on same PNR.

If I book the proposed VX flight, the connection time is only 2 hours 5 mins in LAX. Very tight IMHO but my other option is DL which departs 5 hours earlier with a plane change in ATL, making my trip almost 25 hours to get back to SYD .

The VX flight makes one stop in DAL but we stay on the plane, no changing planes.

To make life more interesting, I have one checked bag. Would VX interline bag to VA if flight not on same PNR? Would DL interline to VA?

Another consideration is I would have access to DL lounges as I am VA Gold but now not sure if I will still get lounge access with VX with the AS merger.

Given all the factors, is there enough connection time to take the VX flight, or should I take the much longer option and fly DL?

I believe flying DL would mean a further apart terminal change at LAX which is another downside I guess??

Thanks for the advice .
VX does not fly from Dulles to DAL. That flight leaves from National Airport.

Only VA check in is at Terminal 3. The flights actually leave from TBIT which is next door. LAX has been having issues of their own with construction and rain so a two hour connection may not be enough. Are there any non-stops from IAD to LAX available or are you trying to make a connection due to cost?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It has been years since VA flights departed from Terminal 3.
Then it's been a while for me. But terminal 3 is a 5 min walk to TBIT, but need to reclear security. And no pre check.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
VX does not fly from Dulles to DAL. That flight leaves from National Airport.

Only VA check in is at Terminal 3. The flights actually leave from TBIT which is next door. LAX has been having issues of their own with construction and rain so a two hour connection may not be enough. Are there any non-stops from IAD to LAX available or are you trying to make a connection due to cost?
Thanks. Oops yes I will edit my post, had been looking at so many options, got them mixed up. The non stop ex IAD is VX 97 which arrives in LAX 7.50pm and then the VA flight departs for SYD at 9.55pm - a bit tight.

I am also considering DCA because its much closer to where I am staying (family). The DCA flight departs at 11.35am and arrives into LAX 4.10pm so a long layover but no issues with making the connection to VA.

I would prefer not to have connecting domestic flights but I am trying to stay with VA partners, ie DL or VX for status and points .

Although maybe VX is not going to be a VA partner for much longer given the AS Merger?? Does anyone know about this?

Thanks to everyone who responded ^.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Downunder girl

Thanks. Oops yes I will edit my post, had been looking at so many options, got them mixed up. The non stop ex IAD is VX 97 which arrives in LAX 7.50pm and then the VA flight departs for SYD at 9.55pm - a bit tight.

I am also considering DCA because its much closer to where I am staying (family). The DCA flight departs at 11.35am and arrives into LAX 4.10pm so a long layover but no issues with making the connection to VA.

I would prefer not to have connecting domestic flights but I am trying to stay with VA partners, ie DL or VX for status and points .

Although maybe VX is not going to be a VA partner for much longer given the AS Merger?? Does anyone know about this?

Thanks to everyone who responded ^.
I would definitely opt for the earlier flight from DCA. Less than 2 hours connection time with a cross country flght during winter to me is way too tight and I have pre-Check which speeds clearing security. T-3 > TBIT is not far at all. TBIT itself is definitely one of the nicer places to be at LAX. T-3 is a mad house of construction and too many people, along with lousy food options. the VX Loft, while far from perfect, is the only respite from t-3.

Good luck!

Last edited by ptownca; Jan 6, 2017 at 9:06 pm Reason: typos
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by ptownca
I would definitely opt for the earlier flight from DCA. Less than 2 hours connection time with a cross country flght during winter to me is way too tight and I have pre-Check which speeds clearing security. T-3 > TBIT is not far at all. TBIT itself is definitely one of the nicer places to be at LAX. T-3 is a mad house of construction and too many people, along with lousy food options. the VX Loft, while far from perfect, is the only respite from t-3.

Good luck!
Thank you for all the good advice.

I am now leaning towards DL flight departing DCA 1.45pm arr 6.40pm LAX or VX DCA flight departing at 11.35am & arriving LAX 4.10pm. Very long layover but I believe I will have access to the new Star Alliance Business Class Lounge in TBIT so that is something of a drawcard. Maybe I can find somewhere to lie down and nap for a bit .

Last edited by Downunder girl; Jan 7, 2017 at 7:45 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:50 pm

I went through this exact scenario last year. They wouldn't on-ticket my bag, but you could try. It was VERY fast getting out of the domestic terminal and getting into the international (right next to each other, short walk).

If possible, take a bag carry-on for the domestic flight, and then check it for the VA flight. That's what I did, and it worked out great. Would definitely do it again.

2 hr 5 min is very tight. If everything goes well, you'll make it, but I'd say that's way too iffy if you check baggage. Maybe worth a shot if you don't. (I had originally booked mine with no bags with a 2.5 hour gap, and changed my mind and changed it to 3.5 hours, and then just hung out in the lounge - I was also able to use priority security)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.