FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1537369-new-credit-card-details-comenity-capital-bank.html)

Cloudwanderer Feb 26, 2015 12:43 am

I am advising a friend about the different credit cards, and am trying to make sense of the benefits of the change fees with the PREMIUM card - especially wrt same/next day changes to flights.

The cc terms state

You’ll only need to pay the difference in fare when making a change.
For example: if I buy today a o/w flight LAX-EWR for a few weeks time might cost $170. The same flight leaving tomorrow costs (say) $670. So if had originally paid $170 for a LAX-EWR flight but decide at the last minute to postpone my flight to leave the next day, would I be hit with an extra $500 because of the jump in ticket prices?

chrisremo Feb 26, 2015 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Cloudwanderer (Post 24417185)
I am advising a friend about the different credit cards, and am trying to make sense of the benefits of the change fees with the PREMIUM card - especially wrt same/next day changes to flights.

The cc terms state

For example: if I buy today a o/w flight LAX-EWR for a few weeks time might cost $170. The same flight leaving tomorrow costs (say) $670. So if had originally paid $170 for a LAX-EWR flight but decide at the last minute to postpone my flight to leave the next day, would I be hit with an extra $500 because of the jump in ticket prices?

Yep.

Cloudwanderer Feb 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo (Post 24417257)
Yep.

Thanks! Good to know.

bayhouse Feb 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudwanderer (Post 24417185)

The cc terms state

But if this is your scenario, you'd be far better served going to the airport and making a Same Day Confirmed (SDC) change for $50 (for long haul, or $35 for med haul or $25 for short haul).

If you're concerned about the flight selling out, book it on the CC and then get a full refund rigt before you attempt to SDC.

partzguy Apr 1, 2015 10:42 am

Has anyone had problems getting the 2 "free" bags?

I've had the VX Signature Visa Card since it's inception. I've also had many of the same issues previously mentioned in this thread including having the card inactivated at several inopportune times for "security" concerns that weren't real. I believe VX took a giant step backwards when they switched from away from Barclays to Commenity Bank!

My question is regarding the "free" bags feature of the card. Until recently when I traveled I almost always carried on my luggage. Now I almost always check it, and the "free checked bags" feature of the Signature Visa card was very appealing to me.

According to VX's website, "If your reservation was made on or after December 11, 2014, the bag fee will be waived at the time of purchase."

My first experience trying to use it occurred last week and did not go well. I purchased our tickets after 12/11/2014. As part of the process when I checked in for the flight it asked if I wanted to check any bags. I said yes for two bags, and the website charged me $25 per bag or $50 total. I was under the impression that that fee was not supposed to be charged because I had booked the trip using our VX Signature Visa card. I called VX, and they ended up transferring me to Commenity where the agent stated that I would "automatically receive a statement credit" for those charges in two to three days. I mentioned to her that the VX website said those fee's would not be charged after Dec 11, 2014. She knew nothing about that.

When it came time to check in for our return flight I had my wife use her VX Elevate account to check in to see if anything different would happen. Again it wanted to charge us the $50 fee for two bags. So she called VX and spoke to a CS representative. That person told her "not to add any baggage" at on-line check in, rather that when we arrived at the airport we should go to the ticket counter and show them our VX Signature cards and that they would check our bags and waive the baggage fee. When we arrived at DAL we went to the ticket counter and the the VX agent "knew nothing about waiving the baggage" fee by showing our VX Visa card and told us that we would have to pay it there and then request a credit from Commenity! Fortunately, after I just about "blew a gasket" and explained to her that she was the third VX person to give us a different story she went ahead and waived the baggage fees anyway.

Has anyone else experienced problems? If not, how did you get your "2 Free bags"? Did you pay at check-in and was it automatically refunded by Commenity? Or did you have to badger them for it? According to VX's own website it says "the baggage fee will be waived at the time of purchase" As I understand "the time of purchase" it is when you check-in online for your flight as you can't specify baggage at the time you actually book your flight.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

VegasGambler Apr 1, 2015 4:00 pm

Unfortunately they recently changed the policy and it seems that everyone is not on the same page.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you pay, I'm sure that you'll get the statement credit. If not, you can call Comenity and/or VX to complain.

BTW, VA is a completely different airline.

Zacnlinc Apr 2, 2015 1:00 am

VX has been good to me or I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to the baggage fee.

I tend to not claim a bag when I check in. (I just am not sure if I am checking it or going to try to slim things down so I can carry it onboard.) When I arrive at the counter for check in and am checking the bag, the agents tell me either, the fee will be credited back to my account if they charge me or it's waived. Often though, it's waived!!

Only once did I have to call VX to get the fee reversed. The agent said it can take 6-8 weeks for the reversal. I called them back at the 10-week point and 2 days later the reversal posted to my account.

MarkedMan Apr 2, 2015 12:12 pm

The recent Comenity site refresh has moved the bar on the online services for the card. Among other things, you can now see pending charges (as of this morning, if I am not mistaken). All in all a much better experience on that front, I still have some stability problems with the site but that's as much likely to be my fault as theirs, as I have my main browser set up to block and tackle all kinds of stuff, so lots of sites don't like me :D

unavaca Apr 4, 2015 1:29 pm

If it's anything like the food credits, they charge your account for the full price and take the discount off as a separate line item a few days later.

jmschn May 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Is this card churnable?

TMM1982 May 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jmschn (Post 24826286)
Is this card churnable?

I asked this in the past and nobody around here would answer my question.

whistler814 May 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Anyone know how long it takes for the initial spend bonus points to post?

TMM1982 May 20, 2015 1:59 am

Originally Posted by whistler814 (Post 24841797)
Anyone know how long it takes for the initial spend bonus points to post?

2-3 days after the statement in which you met the spend closes.

whistler814 May 20, 2015 7:14 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24842493)
2-3 days after the statement in which you met the spend closes.

Thank you!

UA Fan May 20, 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24826324)
I asked this in the past and nobody around here would answer my question.

Tough to answer as this is a new product issued by a bank that has not been active in issuing mileage cards.

TMM1982 May 20, 2015 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 24843870)
Tough to answer as this is a new product issued by a bank that has not been active in issuing mileage cards.

It's not really that new anymore. There should be at least a few data points. People are getting 5 and 6 Alaska CC's in a single day, how can someone not have tried to get 2 VX CC's in the past 6-8 months?

UA Fan May 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24845905)
It's not really that new anymore. There should be at least a few data points. People are getting 5 and 6 Alaska CC's in a single day, how can someone not have tried to get 2 VX CC's in the past 6-8 months?

Sorry I thought I was in the AC credit card from TD Bank thread.

UA Fan May 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Quickly looked through the past few pages and did not see this, so apologies if already covered. I have just got a mailer with a special offer of 20K/30K. It says this is a limited time offer till 6/15/15 and to apply at www.virginamerica.com/creditcard.

When I go to this website I see the usual 10K/15K offers. Has anyone got such an offer? How exactly do you get the special bonus? My letter does not have a special code.

whistler814 May 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 24846621)
Quickly looked through the past few pages and did not see this, so apologies if already covered. I have just got a mailer with a special offer of 20K/30K. It says this is a limited time offer till 6/15/15 and to apply at www.virginamerica.com/creditcard.

When I go to this website I see the usual 10K/15K offers. Has anyone got such an offer? How exactly do you get the special bonus? My letter does not have a special code.

I got the same offer a few days ago via email. The link took me to the usual 10K/15K as well. When I click the rewards terms and conditions from the email I see (bolding mine):

1. Earning Bonus Elevate Reward Points.

You are eligible to earn bonus Reward Points if you make $1,000 of Net New Purchases within the first ninety (90) days of account opening. If you meet this requirement and you have the Premium Card, you will receive 15,000 bonus Reward Points. If you do not have the Premium Card, you will receive 10,000 bonus Reward Points. If you received a different bonus offer from Virgin America, refer to the specific terms and conditions of your exclusive offer. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus Reward Points to post to your Elevate account. To be eligible for this offer, the Credit Card Account must be open and not in default at the time Points are posted. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for new Credit Card Accounts. Bonus Reward Points earned do not count towards Elevate Gold or Elevate Silver Status.
So while the T&C acknowledge that there are different bonus offers, it would be nice if the landing page for the application stated the increased bonus. I took the bait and am prepared to fight for the extra bonus points.

TMM1982 May 20, 2015 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by whistler814 (Post 24846994)
So while the T&C acknowledge that there are different bonus offers, it would be nice if the landing page for the application stated the increased bonus. I took the bait and am prepared to fight for the extra bonus points.

Good luck, Comenity Customer Service is some of the worst I've ever encountered in any industry.

UA Fan May 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Are they planning to match first, last name and address to give the bonus?

UA Fan May 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Anyone else?

mdosu May 22, 2015 12:28 pm

edit...delete

whistler814 May 26, 2015 9:57 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24847725)
Good luck, Comenity Customer Service is some of the worst I've ever encountered in any industry.

Thanks. And here we go. Any tips?

5/13 Applied and approved for targeted 20k bonus after $1k spend in 90 days
5/20 Received card and completed spend
5/24 Statement close
5/25 10k points posted to Elevate (+ points equal to spend) :mad:

gloreglabert May 26, 2015 11:34 am

Originally Posted by whistler814 (Post 24870900)
Thanks. And here we go. Any tips?

5/24 Statement close
5/25 10k points posted to Elevate (+ points equal to spend) :mad:

Wait a few days. You'll get the other 10k posted separated in a few days time. Backwards, I know, but the same thing happened to me. I called in and the CSR said it'll post separately. I thought he was full of BS, but...sure enough, a few days later the rest of it posted.

iflyjetz May 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24847725)

Yep. I got talked into getting the (Caesars Palace) Total Rewards Visa issued by Comenity. Made a couple hundred dollars of purchases no problem.
A couple of days later (Memorial Day), we go to the Caesars Bacchanal Buffet and the ~$212 charge gets declined. I call Comenity two or three times, as it took forever to navigate to the correct prompts to get the fraud department. Finally get through ~330PM Pacific time. The fraud department is CLOSED for the holiday!!!

Called Tuesday, went through all of the prompts, got in touch with someone in fraud and got the fraud alert cleared. No more problems using the card so far. The guy in the fraud department had a heavy accent so I had some problems understanding him; I HOPE that they haven't offshored their fraud department. :rolleyes:

My confidence in Comenity is extremely low.

dawgsontop Jun 2, 2015 12:00 am

What size CLs does comenity bank give out for this card? I'm looking to MS it hard for EK J.

Wendigo Jun 2, 2015 9:56 am

Originally Posted by dawgsontop (Post 24905084)
What size CLs does comenity bank give out for this card? I'm looking to MS it hard for EK J.

I got 16K. GF got 12K.

SFOTerry Jun 3, 2015 8:35 am

What are FTer's experience with the $150 companion credit cert that is supposed to be emailed approximately 6-8 weeks after 1st use/payment of annual fee? It's been about 2 months now - do I need to call/email, and to whom?

Thanks!

Eastbay1K Jun 3, 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 24912138)
What are FTer's experience with the $150 companion credit cert that is supposed to be emailed approximately 6-8 weeks after 1st use/payment of annual fee? It's been about 2 months now - do I need to call/email, and to whom?

Thanks!

I can't tell you exactly how long it has taken (either in year one or upon renewal) but neither time did it seem exceptionally long.

The email comes from Elevate and not from the bank, so perhaps that is the place to start before the inevitable finger pointing match between the bank and the airline begins. ;)

SFOTerry Jun 3, 2015 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 24912290)
The email comes from Elevate

Thanks - Oh joy, they have such a wonderful touch. :rolleyes:

whistler814 Jun 3, 2015 11:10 am

Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 24871417)
Wait a few days. You'll get the other 10k posted separated in a few days time. Backwards, I know, but the same thing happened to me. I called in and the CSR said it'll post separately. I thought he was full of BS, but...sure enough, a few days later the rest of it posted.

(non) update:
Waited a week, nothing doing. Called Comenity, and was promptly referred to VX. VX by phone says wait another billing cycle. Explained the situation via email to VX ([email protected]) and was told in their reply to wait 90 days.:(

Boraxo Jun 4, 2015 3:19 pm

I received an email on May 30 offering double points (up to $600 credit - not sure what that equates to) but just noticed the offer expires May 31 :mad:

I understand the concept of exploding bonuses but I don't think it really makes sense here - if you want to incentivize people to apply for your card and pay the AF it is hard to see how a 2-day promo will be successful. :rolleyes:

That being said, should I jump on this next time it appears, or have there been more lucrative offers in the past?

memphian901 Jun 6, 2015 9:20 pm

There is a reference code on the email or mailer for the 6/15 expiring offer. I applied for the Visa 30k offer and put in my reference code on the application page.

UA Fan Jun 8, 2015 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by memphian901 (Post 24930661)
There is a reference code on the email or mailer for the 6/15 expiring offer. I applied for the Visa 30k offer and put in my reference code on the application page.

I took another look and could not find anything. I see something at the bottom left with two letters and then four numbers. Is this the code?

UA Fan Jun 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Anyone have a reconsideration number?

Frindle Jun 25, 2015 2:25 pm

How has Comenity been doing lately? Thinking about applying for the card again as I need to diversify my points.

whistler814 Jun 29, 2015 6:30 am

Originally Posted by whistler814 (Post 24912968)
(non) update:
Waited a week, nothing doing. Called Comenity, and was promptly referred to VX. VX by phone says wait another billing cycle. Explained the situation via email to VX ([email protected]) and was told in their reply to wait 90 days.:(

Final update:

5/24 Statement close
5/25 10k points posted to Elevate (+ points equal to spend)
6/25 10k bonus points posted to Elevate

Seems like the process is automatic, however no one at Comenity or Elevate could provide any real status update.

dsr1205 Aug 17, 2015 9:46 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 24961648)
Anyone have a reconsideration number?

800-303-1368
Their recon number doesn't seem to work if you wait on hold. You have to press 2 and go to the refunds department to actually talk to somebody. Then they don't even have information on my application. I have no idea whats going on with Comenity.

Boraxo Aug 19, 2015 6:28 pm

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Just received an email offering an additional $100 flight credit on top of the usual 10k/15k signup bonus. Not as good as double points so I may pass.

Are there still issues with the free checked bags? Has anyone confirmed the process?
Show your card at airport, or simply charge the fee and then request credit from Comenitu after you get your statement?