FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1537369-new-credit-card-details-comenity-capital-bank.html)

fishy21 Jan 3, 2014 10:16 am

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Anyone else get the email? Nice CC design. Definitely different than traditional credit cards, on par with Virgin America.

I'm really interested in the Premium Visa Signature card. The biggest perk is the no cancellation/change fee. Anyone know more about this?

My two questions are:

1. If I booked the flight with a companion/family. Does the no-change fee apply for everyone? I could not find it in the T&C.

2. I also read that you need to call them in order to cancel. No option to do this online?

Overall, better CC program. But the free credit card is gone, which is a bummer.

fishy21 Jan 3, 2014 10:19 am

Also, with up to 15,000 status points awarded on the CC, I have a feeling that there will be a lot of new silver status flyers with VX.

SoCalZman Jan 3, 2014 10:24 am

haven't received an email yet. Is there a website link with the details or can you copy and paste all the bullet points?

SoCalZman Jan 3, 2014 10:36 am

Originally Posted by fishy21 (Post 22075821)
Also, with up to 15,000 status points awarded on the CC, I have a feeling that there will be a lot of new silver status flyers with VX.

Maybe not. That could be after spending a certain about per year yes? With the old card you could get 10k status points but you had to meet the 25k spending threshold.

fishy21 Jan 3, 2014 10:38 am

Originally Posted by SoCalZman (Post 22075863)
haven't received an email yet. Is there a website link with the details or can you copy and paste all the bullet points?

All I have is a link to the T&C. Everything else was on my email.

http://www.virginamerica.com/html/pd...&rrid=28149903

fishy21 Jan 3, 2014 10:39 am

Originally Posted by SoCalZman (Post 22075933)
Maybe not. That could be after spending a certain about per year yes? With the old card you could get 25k status points but you had to meet the 25k spending threshold.

Just posted the T&C. Check it out and let me know what you think after reading it.

SoCalZman Jan 3, 2014 10:47 am

very interesting. I really like the rollover feature too. I had actually suggested it to VX a few times, as they do that on Delta.

So instead of a threshold to get all your status points you get them in spending levels. Yes that will make reaching status a lot easier I suspect. More gold and silver elites in 2015.

fishy21 Jan 3, 2014 10:55 am

Originally Posted by SoCalZman (Post 22076011)
very interesting. I really like the rollover feature too. I had actually suggested it to VX a few times, as they do that on Delta.

So instead of a threshold to get all your status points you get them in spending levels. Yes that will make reaching status a lot easier I suspect. More gold and silver elites in 2015.

Wish I can share the pics of the CC. It does look cool. Hopefully you'll get the email soon.

SoCalZman Jan 3, 2014 10:59 am

Igerbarg posted this in the other CC forum:

The cards are from Comenity Capital Bank:

Virgin America Visa Signature
15,000 bonus elevate points after spending $1000 in the first 90 days
Up to 3 points per $1 spent
$150 off companion ticket once per year
20% off RED inflight purchases
Free first checked bag for you and a companion.
$49 annual fee

Virgin America Premium Visa Signature
All of the above plus:
20,000 (instead of 15,000) bonus elevate points after spending $1000 in the first 90 days
No change or cancel fees on Virgin America flights
Earn up to 15,000 status points per year
Carry forward additional status points at your annual renewal
$149 (instead of $49) annual fee

some nice benefits. I like how they did not give status perks to cardholders (except the free checked bag). Not diluting the elite program. Very nice.

a330300 Jan 3, 2014 11:03 am

Here's the header and content of my email - the new card is issued by Comenity (known mainly for cobranded retailer cards).

https://responsys.hs.llnwd.net/i5/re..._banner_v2.jpg

Virgin America Visa Signature® Card with $49 Annual Fee

Hit the ground flying with these perks for a low $49 annual fee:*
  • Free first checked bag for you and a companion. 4
  • $150 off a companion ticket every year. 6-2
  • Save 20% on RED™ in‑flight purchases. 6-5
  • Earn three points per $1 spent with Virgin America. 3
  • Earn one point per $1 spent everywhere else. 3

Virgin America Premium Visa Signature® Card with $149 Annual Fee

Step up your rewards and get more flexibility with these additional card-carrying privileges, all for a $149 annual fee:

• No change or cancel fees on Virgin America flights. 6-4
• Earn up to 15,000 Elevate status points per year. 6-1
• Carry forward any additional status points at your annual renewal. 6-1

fishy21 Jan 3, 2014 11:07 am

Originally Posted by a330300 (Post 22076107)
Here's the header and content of my email - the new card is issued by Comenity (known mainly for cobranded retailer cards).

https://responsys.hs.llnwd.net/i5/re..._banner_v2.jpg

Virgin America Visa Signature® Card with $49 Annual Fee

Hit the ground flying with these perks for a low $49 annual fee:*
  • Free first checked bag for you and a companion. 4
  • $150 off a companion ticket every year. 6-2
  • Save 20% on RED™ in‑flight purchases. 6-5
  • Earn three points per $1 spent with Virgin America. 3
  • Earn one point per $1 spent everywhere else. 3

Virgin America Premium Visa Signature® Card with $149 Annual Fee

Step up your rewards and get more flexibility with these additional card-carrying privileges, all for a $149 annual fee:

• No change or cancel fees on Virgin America flights. 6-4
• Earn up to 15,000 Elevate status points per year. 6-1
• Carry forward any additional status points at your annual renewal. 6-1

Share the premium one too if you can. It's all silver..... kinda cool. I think I prefer the standard CC, but like the premium perks better.

fishy21 Jan 3, 2014 11:07 am

Anyone figure out if the no change/cancellation fee applies for everyone on the itinerary?

Pilot05 Jan 3, 2014 11:48 am

Comenity VA Visa Link

Not sure we can apply yet, but here it is:

https://d.comenity.net/virginamericavisa/

Pilot05 Jan 3, 2014 11:55 am

We can't apply yet...

a330300 Jan 3, 2014 12:06 pm

Here's the silver/Premium version of the card:

http://oi41.tinypic.com/fu6jc9.jpg

SoCalZman Jan 3, 2014 12:18 pm

they're both cool, but I like the darker one a bit better I think. I will be going for the premium for the benefits, though.

raje Jan 3, 2014 2:53 pm

Can anybody apply?

I clicked the pre-approval link and reach a form that doesn't have a street address field. I'm holding off on applying for the moment. Anybody else that received the note have the same issue?

FastMJ Jan 3, 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by SoCalZman (Post 22076080)
Igerbarg posted this in the other CC forum:

The cards are from Comenity Capital Bank:

Virgin America Visa Signature
15,000 bonus elevate points after spending $1000 in the first 90 days
Up to 3 points per $1 spent
$150 off companion ticket once per year
20% off RED inflight purchases
Free first checked bag for you and a companion.
$49 annual fee

Virgin America Premium Visa Signature
All of the above plus:
20,000 (instead of 15,000) bonus elevate points after spending $1000 in the first 90 days
No change or cancel fees on Virgin America flights
Earn up to 15,000 status points per year
Carry forward additional status points at your annual renewal
$149 (instead of $49) annual fee

some nice benefits. I like how they did not give status perks to cardholders (except the free checked bag). Not diluting the elite program. Very nice.

Interesting....the other posts in this thread mention 10,000 or 15,000 bonus points for the two tiers.

teo24 Jan 3, 2014 8:11 pm

T+C also mentions 10k for non-Premium and 15k for Premium.
The Premium perks are nice but I don't know if I fly enough to justify the extra $100/yr for free changes/cancels and benefits towards status points.

unavaca Jan 3, 2014 8:23 pm

Given a single change is $100, it only takes one change to make it break-even.

LarkSFO Jan 3, 2014 9:58 pm

https://d.comenity.net/virginamericavisa/

Virgin America Visa Signature® Card benefits:
Get 10,000 Elevate® bonus points
Earn up to 3 points per $1 spent
Free first checked bag on flights
Get $150 off a companion ticket
Save 20% on RED™ in-flight purchases

Virgin America Premium Visa Signature® Card benefits:
Get 15,000 Elevate® bonus points
Earn up to 3 points per $1 spent
No change or cancel fees on flights
Earn up to 15,000 status points
Carry forward up to 10,000 status points
Free first checked bag on flights
Get $150 off a companion ticket
Save 20% on RED™ in-flight purchases

Phamer55 Jan 3, 2014 11:22 pm

Yeah!

So excited for the new card. I especially like the free checked bag for up to TWO people and the $150 off companion fare.

teo24 Jan 4, 2014 9:24 am

With the old VX Barclay Visa, the companion fare was $150 for any ticket (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember paying more than $150 for a companion).
Now it's $150 OFF a ticket? Seems like a downgrade to me.

Eastbay1K Jan 4, 2014 11:32 am

Originally Posted by teo24 (Post 22082135)
With the old VX Barclay Visa, the companion fare was $150 for any ticket (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember paying more than $150 for a companion).
Now it's $150 OFF a ticket? Seems like a downgrade to me.

It was $150 off any ticket.

Use the promo code ABCDEFG to book Virgin America roundtrip flights for two with a 14-day advance purchase, and take $150 off your plus one’s fare. Grab seats by May 17, 2014 and make your escape by May 31, 2014

LarkSFO Jan 4, 2014 11:45 am

Comenity....?

Seriously, could VX have gone any lower in choosing a new partner?

Eastbay1K Jan 4, 2014 11:56 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 22082939)
Comenity....?

Seriously, could VX have gone any lower in choosing a new partner?

What do you know about this bank? All I hear are people pissing and moaning about BofA, Chase, Citibank, etc.

What particularly is "low" about this partner?

bvan Jan 4, 2014 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 22082988)
What do you know about this bank? All I hear are people pissing and moaning about BofA, Chase, Citibank, etc.

What particularly is "low" about this partner?

They're the issuer of a butt-load of the store credit cards, Victoria's Secret, Express, etc. If you can think of the store chances are Comenity is the bank. Comenity issues these store credit cards with insane APRs. They don't have 24-hour telephone customer service. And they are notorious for adding "account protector" to your account without your knowledge.

WheelsFirst Jan 4, 2014 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by bvan (Post 22083104)
They're the issuer of a butt-load of the store credit cards, Victoria's Secret, Express, etc. If you can think of the store chances are Comenity is the bank. Comenity issues these store credit cards with insane APRs. They don't have 24-hour telephone customer service. And they are notorious for adding "account protector" to your account without your knowledge.

I'm sure they will be awful with disputes and unauthorized transactions. VX really should have taken a less sweet deal with a more legitimate bank. I mean how bad could their offer from AMEX have been?

teo24 Jan 4, 2014 1:11 pm

If the experience is going to really be this bad, I'm considering going back to the Barclay Arrival and signing up as a new holder to get the 40k miles (plus 10% when I cash in)

LarkSFO Jan 4, 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by teo24 (Post 22083389)
If the experience is going to really be this bad, I'm considering going back to the Barclay Arrival and signing up as a new holder to get the 40k miles (plus 10% when I cash in)

Do both...

But, if you are a cautious person by nature, wait a little while to hear others experiences before signing up for a co-branded store card, wait, I mean the new VX partner credit card from comenity.

SoCalZman Jan 4, 2014 3:12 pm

Can anyone provide links to these experiences/complaints with this new bank? I am curious.

virginflightshavedoom Jan 4, 2014 4:46 pm

Having the old barclay card for the past few years I was very excited to get my offer to sign up for the new VA card yesterday.

I signed up, was confused that they didn't ask for my street name, as mentioned by the previous poster but got a confirmation that signup was successful. The street name was present when I first logged into the new site.

I never entered my VA account number and now that I'm logged into the https://d.comenity.net/virginamericavisacard I can't find anywhere to review/change it. I assume that was also pulled from the signup Email URL.

I had close to a 15k limit and 17% APR with Barclay.
I just got 4k limit + 24.99 APR on approval.

To say the least I'm not happy at all. I've already requested a credit limit and if it doesn't happen I'll be calling and cancelling this card and sticking with Barclay.

One more note, the comenity/VA branded site looks pretty raw and may still be under construction and missing some functionality.

ethanwa Jan 4, 2014 4:49 pm

Has anyone been able to apply for this yet? Or did you have to get an email from VX?

sfozrhfco Jan 4, 2014 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by virginflightshavedoom (Post 22084579)
Having the old barclay card for the past few years I was very excited to get my offer to sign up for the new VA card yesterday.

I signed up, was confused that they didn't ask for my street name, as mentioned by the previous poster but got a confirmation that signup was successful. The street name was present when I first logged into the new site.

I never entered my VA account number and now that I'm logged into the https://d.comenity.net/virginamericavisacard I can't find anywhere to review/change it. I assume that was also pulled from the signup Email URL.

I had close to a 15k limit and 17% APR with Barclay.
I just got 4k limit + 24.99 APR on approval.

To say the least I'm not happy at all. I've already requested a credit limit and if it doesn't happen I'll be calling and cancelling this card and sticking with Barclay.

One more note, the comenity/VA branded site looks pretty raw and may still be under construction and missing some functionality.

Could very be because you have a high limit on Barclay's they don't want to overextend the credit line.

The interest rate should make no difference. If you are not paying the bill in full every month, whether the interest rate is 17 or 25%, whatever value the points have will be eaten up very quickly by the interest you are paying. If you are not paying the bill in full every month, may as well just stick with 0% card or some other low interest rate card with no rewards.

virginflightshavedoom Jan 4, 2014 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 22085062)
Could very be because you have a high limit on Barclay's they don't want to overextend the credit line.

The interest rate should make no difference. If you are not paying the bill in full every month, whether the interest rate is 17 or 25%, whatever value the points have will be eaten up very quickly by the interest you are paying. If you are not paying the bill in full every month, may as well just stick with 0% card or some other low interest rate card with no rewards.

Good point regarding the APR. I do pay in full but the flexiblity is good to have.

My offer came via Email btw.

fishy21 Jan 5, 2014 2:39 am

What is the APR that people are getting? At 25%, no thanks. Not that I ever have a balance, but my loan shark has a lower APR than that.

Eastbay1K Jan 5, 2014 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ethanwa (Post 22084595)
Has anyone been able to apply for this yet? Or did you have to get an email from VX?

No email yet, and no good link to apply that I can find.

SoCalZman Jan 5, 2014 10:38 am

If you are not happy with the APR or any other aspect of the new card, complain to VX. If you have good credit, 25% seems high

VAFlyerSAN Jan 5, 2014 11:11 am

Received an invitation email on 1/3/14. The offer is for "valued Elevate members and current Virgin America Visa cardholders". The additional 5,000 bonus points is for preapproved individuals only. The file name of the T&C's states: "vx_cc_preapproved_standard_plus_five". I signed up for the Premium Card so I can easily qualify for Silver Status this year. The APR I received is 15.98%.

SFOPhD Jan 5, 2014 2:47 pm

Do we have any data yet on which credit bureau they pull? If you could report your experience, indicating your state of residence also helps.