FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa-738/)
-   -   Do you miss American TV when traveling in Europe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/473006-do-you-miss-american-tv-when-traveling-europe.html)

onedog Sep 17, 2005 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ramraideruk
...I can't believe your attitude. I am incensed!

:rolleyes:

Berto Sep 17, 2005 11:08 pm

When I went to Italy this summer i found myself really not missing American TV that much. I found that MTV was better in Italy and there were dubbed american movies on TV that I had seen, so I could follow it even if i didnt know the language.

Would it have been nice to watch shows in English? Of course. But when I am in another country I am there to experence that country, and not what is available back home.

GUWonder Sep 18, 2005 2:16 am

Originally Posted by marbe166
And in Sweden you can see the Simpsons in English. Only (thank goodness).

Most all of the American TV shows playing in Sweden nowadays are in English only. Even subtitles in Swedish are highly unlikely. I find that there are 5-year old Swedes who speak better (and more proper) English than many Americans. Maybe we should thank Matt Groening. :D

AAaLot Sep 18, 2005 2:52 am

I am currently in New Zealand

I just bought a www.slingmedia.com

With it I can control and view my TV at home USA via the internet.

So to answer the questions...no I do not miss USA TV

Non-NonRev Sep 18, 2005 2:56 am

When travelling (especialy leisure travel) one of my priorities is to immerse myself into the rhythm of local life, so American television is the last thing on my mind when I'm outside the States (it'll be there when I return) ;)

The other great thing about European stations is the arts coverage, including live performance broadcasts on channels like Arte. A huge contrast to PBS, which has all but abandoned arts coverage in favor of lowbrow "culture-lite" spectacles that seem to make the phones ring during pledge breaks........

dmanning1972 Sep 4, 2009 8:48 am

US TV in Any Country

I have been using a service from a company called NationPhone&TV called USATVAbroad. http://www.usatvabroad.com I get a 200 channel US Cable subscription with HBO and Showtime. It is streamed live to me over the internet but I bought their optional set top box to watch it on my TV. I am getting excellent quality now but am thinking of upgrading to their HD service which should be really cool.

DesertNomad Sep 4, 2009 5:13 pm

I don't watch TV at home (don't have one, don't want one), but when travelling if the place I am staying has one, I'll watch a bit. Most interesting to see DPRK TV (North Korea) or other similarly obscure stations.

UK Traveler Sep 4, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm a news junkie, so in the time I actually spend in my hotel room, I like to watch the local news or CNN International. I usually travel to the UK when overseas, so language is not a problem.

longwaybackhome Sep 5, 2009 1:29 am

Actually, I miss the German channels that I got on satellite TV in my Paris and Barcelona hotel rooms earlier this year. I wish I could get Eurosport in the US. I prefer ZDF to RTL, but I'd take either. MTV Europe, in German, was also fun, because it actually shows videos! I also got addicted to the 24-hour Catalan news station in Barcelona. I want that back!

Nota Bene: I can speak neither German nor Catalan.

Edited to add: noticing possible spam above.

pinworm Sep 5, 2009 1:54 am

American television is utter crap. The decline of the empire, documented with shows like"Tool Academy" and "Rampage!".

When I leave American television markets, I feel liberated. Imagine thoughtful analysis and scince docs that don't attact viewers by showing things that blow up good.

Bralo20 Sep 5, 2009 2:11 am

When travelling in the US/Canada I miss European television. Not because I like to watch television in my own language (on the contrary) but because American TV is total crap... I love to watch a TV program but I hate to watch a commercial with some pieces of the program in it... There are way to much commercials on the American TV. To much sensation also, news is getting blown up to make it more sensational. I love CNN in the EU but I don't like the channel in the US... I'm always looking for BBC World or so to see news when traveling there to see it in an other perspective.

;)

mpc1 Sep 5, 2009 2:24 am

I find it interesting that CNN International is smart enough, or too scared, to broadcast some of their domestic only show's, like Lou Dobbs, to their overseas markets. I'm sure showing that show to the world wouldn't help improve America's image overseas.

ajax Sep 5, 2009 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Bralo20 (Post 12335032)
There are way to much commercials on the American TV. To much sensation also, news is getting blown up to make it more sensational.

Never watched British TV (ex-BBC), have you? :)

N965VJ Sep 5, 2009 8:28 am

Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 12335013)
American television is utter crap. The decline of the empire, documented with shows like"Tool Academy"

I’ve never even heard of that show. I’m guessing it’s *not* about fixing up things around the house.

Originally Posted by mpc1 (Post 12335062)
I find it interesting that CNN International is smart enough, or too scared, to broadcast some of their domestic only show's, like Lou Dobbs, to their overseas markets.

Yeah, but CNN International airs The Daily Show. I wonder how many people abroad think that is a real news program?

Bralo20 Sep 5, 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 12335151)
Never watched British TV (ex-BBC), have you? :)

I used to watch BBC a lot in my "young" days (London's Burning and Dempey & Makepeace were some shows I watched back in the 80's) actually thanks to BBC (and CNN) I learned English at a very young age. But these days I rarely watch TV anymore... Sometimes BBC World, sometimes CNN and a some Belgian series on our Belgian channels.

Thanks to the internet, there is less need to watch TV... Actually a shame since I invested several thousands last year to get a decent HD setup at home.

I hate commercials... I find it disturbing to watch a show and have every 15 minutes some commercials... :)