FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa-738/)
-   -   Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/1752928-current-us-passport-wait-merged-threads.html)

nrr Jun 9, 2017 10:08 am

3 passports ago, they were going to raise PP fees (significantly), it was cost effective for me to renew early. I mailed appl. material on a Saturday, I received new PP, 5 days later--regular processing appl.^
[I mailed my material in February...an off season date.]

GUWonder Jun 9, 2017 10:20 am

Yes, non-expedited passport applications can also be done at US passport agency offices. It's been that way as long as they've been around.

Some rushed new passports in order to be able to have some additional ability to get additional page supplements inserted (before that option too would be pulled in part or whole).

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 28422730)
OK, great, you can get one lightning fast at a Passport Agency. We all know that.

Why would you go to the trouble of that if you only needed the passport in 4.5 (or even 6 to 8) weeks?

I need my passport for my ordinary obligations just about each and every week.

For those US citizens in some kind of less than common circumstances, using a US Passport Agency office may be the best way -- or just about the only way -- to go about getting a passport within even 6-8 weeks.

MSPeconomist Jun 9, 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 28422885)
3 passports ago, they were going to raise PP fees (significantly), it was cost effective for me to renew early. I mailed appl. material on a Saturday, I received new PP, 5 days later--regular processing appl.^
[I mailed my material in February...an off season date.]

I try to renew during low season too, and early so that I don't risk problems with countries that require six additional months validity, etc.

Mary2e Jun 9, 2017 10:35 am

I renewed mine in November and it was 3 weeks from putting it in the mail to getting it back. I was shocked.

suranyi Jun 9, 2017 4:20 pm

I renewed my wife's passport last year by mail and it took only two weeks to get the new one back. And that was without paying for any expedited treatment at all.

Often1 Jun 9, 2017 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 28422730)
OK, great, you can get one lightning fast at a Passport Agency. We all know that.

Why would you go to the trouble of that if you only needed the passport in 4.5 (or even 6 to 8) weeks?

No, "we" don't. This is an informational board and there are many people who have no idea that the PA's exist or that they may be accessed without an appointment.

I suppose that if you absolutely knew that you under no circumstances will need to travel abroad before some specific date in the future, you might as well use the Post Office. But, many people may not expect travel, but it pops up.

In addition, there are many people who have oddball document situations. While there is no prohibition on using the Post Office, the State Dept. people tend to be more knowledgeable and can actually be helpful.

hfly Jun 9, 2017 6:41 pm

I have always, for myself and my kids, either done it at Passport Agency offices or at missions abroad. At PA's I have never waited more than a day (often same day) from abroad, it has never been longer than 8 days, and has been as few as 4 (which is impressive as the document is being made in the US shipped to the mission). I do not think I could be without my passport for more than 10 days or so (oh yeah, and I demonstrate that to the and is one of the reasons they let me have two!)

krazykanuck Jun 9, 2017 8:21 pm

The last couple of times I've renewed my Canadian passport, I figure they must be bored stiff with nothing to do, because I usually would get it back in 1-2 weeks by Fedex next day air. Glad that my higher fee from renewing outside the US is going to good use! But I always renew my passport between 9-12 months to expiry just as a rule.

Thankfully Canada recently, a guess a couple years ago now, joined the rest of the western world, moving to 10 year validities as opposed to 5.

invisible Jun 9, 2017 11:13 pm

Getting passport at US missions is significantly faster. My wife's passport was ready in 10 calendar days.

84fiero Jun 10, 2017 7:58 am

My best friend had hers renewed through the mail last month, took just 14 calendar days to get it back.

fwoomp Jun 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by agpt (Post 28397044)
The difference is that now, if you enter 000-00-0000, they require a signed statement, under penalty of perjury, that the applicant does not have a SSN.

I wonder what would happen if you provided a signed statement saying, "I have entered 000-00-0000 on my passport application because, while I have a SSN, I do not have to give it to you per the Privacy Act of 1974, and I am retaining that right."

...other than that if you were going to take that approach, you should probably allow at least 6 months before travel.

In any case, agpt, good luck.

GUWonder Jun 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by fwoomp (Post 28429695)
I wonder what would happen if you provided a signed statement saying, "I have entered 000-00-0000 on my passport application because, while I have a SSN, I do not have to give it to you per the Privacy Act of 1974, and I am retaining that right."

...other than that if you were going to take that approach, you should probably allow at least 6 months before travel.

In any case, agpt, good luck.

Los Federales have a history of getting exempted from the Privacy Act of 1974 when it comes to some aspects of travel and life beyond even just that.

Originally Posted by From DS-11 application
PRIVACY Act

AUTHORITIES: Collection of this information is authorized by 22 U.S.C. 211a et seq.; 8 U.S.C. 1104; 26 U.S.C. 6039E, 22 U.S.C. 2714a(f), Section 236 of the Admiral James W. Nance and Meg Donovan Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 2000 and 2001; Executive Order 11295 (August 5, 1966); and 22 C.F.R. parts 50 and 51.

PURPOSE: We are requesting this information in order to determine your eligibility to be issued a U.S. passport. Your Social Security number is used to verify your identity.

ROUTINE USES: This information may be disclosed to another domestic government agency, a private contractor, a foreign government agency, or to a private person or private employer in accordance with certain approved routine uses. These routine uses include, but are not limited to, law enforcement activities, employment verification, fraud prevention, border security, counterterrorism, litigation activities, and activities that meet the Secretary of State's responsibility to protect U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals abroad. More information on the Routine Uses for the system can be found in System of Records Notices State-05, Overseas Citizen Services Records and State-26, Passport Records.

DISCLOSURE: Providing information on this form is voluntary. Be advised, however, that failure to provide the information requested on this form may cause delays in processing your U.S. passport application and/or could result in the refusal or denial of your application.

Failure to provide your Social Security number may result in the denial of your application (consistent with 22 U.S.C. 2714a(f)) and may subject you to a penalty enforced by the Internal Revenue Service, as described in the Federal Tax Law section of the instructions to this form. Your Social Security number will be provided to the Department of the Treasury and may be used in connection with debt collection, among other purposes authorized and generally described in this section.

A SSN is not needed to verify identity to get a US passport.

The last standard passport application I saw without a US SSN on it took less than 3 weeks between:

application being accepted for filing by State with all the required proof of citizenship and of identity; and

passport issue date.

And it was for a person who had no US photo ID to submit prior to application. But this was for a natural-born US citizen who never had a SSN as far as I know.

An application the same day with a US SSN took a day or two longer while another took a day or two less.

pindi Jun 12, 2017 1:20 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Can I go in person and apply at a passport agency if I don't have an urgent need in the next 2 weeks, but need it within 4 weeks? I tried to make an appointment but it wouldn't let me as I don't have travel within 2 weeks. I travel almost every month, and I don't want to wait till 2 weeks before travel to do this.

hfly Jun 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Then show them proof that you are traveling in the next two weeks. Perhaps after you get your passport, your plans will change.

pindi Jun 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by hfly (Post 28433714)
Then show them proof that you are traveling in the next two weeks. Perhaps after you get your passport, your plans will change.

I can't even get an appointment. And you are not allowed to submit an application or be there without an appt I think.... Are you suggesting I just show up with my travel plans of 4 weeks later and I'll be allowed to submit the application?