Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa and Visa Waiver? Holiday with B1 visa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Visa and Visa Waiver? Holiday with B1 visa

I am a UK citizen currently with a B1 visa as I've been spending a lot of time in the US on business. I previously had ESTA and would enter on the VWP for both business and leisure.

Since I got the B1, my ESTA has expired.

My question is, if I want to travel to the US strictly for a holiday instead of the usual business trip, what do I need to do? B1 is "visitor for business" so if I wanted to make a non-business trip would I need to apply for a new ESTA?

Couldn't find an answer to this anywhere. The obvious question is "why not just use the VWP for both business and leisure" - the answer is simply because my employer decided to get me a B1 visa. I could theoretically be required to stay longer than 3 months on a business trip, so there's that too (with B1 I get 6 months admittance).

Any advice appreciated!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:39 am

I also found it pretty hard to find an answer to this, but I would say that you don't Need ESTA if you have a valid B1 Visa.

see the 1st question on this site:
http://athens.usembassy.gov/esta_faqs_new.html
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:53 am

Isn't B1/B2 visa issued as one visa? I think you can perfectly fine visit the US for holiday with your visa - an ESTA on top could probably cause confusion at immigration and probably a secondary inspection if unlucky.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by William S
Isn't B1/B2 visa issued as one visa? I think you can perfectly fine visit the US for holiday with your visa - an ESTA on top could probably cause confusion at immigration and probably a secondary inspection if unlucky.
Having an ESTA in addition to "real" visas should be fine. I entered on a J1 despite having a previous ESTA that was still valid. Moreover when entering via Global Entry you can choose between your Visas or VWP - which suggests it's valid to have both. At worst the CBP officer will ask you what you wish to use, and you can explain why you have a Visa in addition to ESTA.

Of course _if_ the B1 is valid and applicable for the intended trip I'd use that. My understanding of B1/B2 is that you'd be OK using it for tourism too, but I'm not a lawyer so do your own research. Certainly don't rely purely on any one anonymous persons' online opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: AA, UA
My folks always visit me on B2. CBP never had any issue with that.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:45 am

Very simple answer to your question: get ESTA. It costs you five minutes on the website and 14 bucks and you are on the safe side.

I recently asked a very similar question to CBP and got the official answer that I must get ESTA if am not travelling for the exact purpose for which my visa was issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.