Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did US relax their rules on A330-300 row 1??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Did US relax their rules on A330-300 row 1??

Was checking our upcoming flight, and it appears that Row 1 is freely available. We grabbed 1A/B. Was this a fluke or a new decision to not charge for Row 1?

Other than the increased recline, are there any concerns about this row? I haven't done row 1 since about 2000.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: None
No overhead air vents and more light/chatter from the galley.

Jim
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Hi, I am now able to select row 1 for a CLT-LGW flight in May, I definitely could not two weeks ago. I have selected 1H on usairways.com but I still show as 3A on checkmytrip. I am *G but not with US.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
No overhead air vents and more light/chatter from the galley.

Jim
Thrilling! relax in recline and listen to the noise as you stifle. Did I get that right?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Thrilling! relax in recline and listen to the noise as you stifle. Did I get that right?
So, is the consensus that row 1 is worth it or not?

And, did they change the seats or simply relax the policy?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ITRADE
So, is the consensus that row 1 is worth it or not?

And, did they change the seats or simply relax the policy?
To your first question: free = worth it, extra couple hundred $$$ = not worth it.

Second question: dunno.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I just grabbed row 1 on a 333 CLT-FRA. We'll see if it sticks.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Row 1 is great. I've never noticed a problem from the lack of overhead vents nor did I notice the FAs chatting. A flat-bed seat beats a recliner seat hands down!!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Plat
Interestingly, there's no longer any mention of Envoy sleeper on usairways.com (that I can find) except in the preferred benefits page where it has become an orphaned footnote (there is no longer an asterisk footnote reference corresponding to the first footnote on the page, which was previously a PP & CP benefit, see: archive). Also, the sleeper was always advertised as a $300 buy up from confirmed Envoy on the Go Envoy page, but now there's no reference to it at all. See archive at bottom and compare: current

It seems clear that a change is actually underway, as they wouldn't have otherwise edited the website. I presume it likely has something to do with simplifying things in advance of the A333 retrofit scheduled to begin this fall, and complete in time for summer 2012. As the different 333s get converted, US will be substituting 333s with suites and 332s with suites (and maybe 762s) on routes previously served by suiteless 333s. If they keep selling those sleeper seats now, they'll have a logistical mess of refund requests from PP & CP who want their 600 bucks back b/c the a/c was swapped with a 332 or suited 333 or B762.

I imagine that this has already been happening to some degree as the 332 finds its way into 333 routes like PHL>CDG in the winter.

Also, as discussed in another thread, a re-working of the "Go Upgrades" is apparently underway, and perhaps this change also relates to that.

Last edited by DCAorBust; Feb 10, 2011 at 10:25 am
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by DCAorBust
I presume it likely has something to do with simplifying things in advance of the A333 retrofit scheduled to begin this fall, and complete in time for summer 2012.
+1 Exactly!

As for row 1, I agree with the earlier comment that given the free choice I'd take row 1 over the others but I would not pay for it.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was able to change to row 1 yesterday too. Concur w/ the reasoning above.

In my limited experience w/ row 1 (once), it was far easier to sleep flat than at an angle. If your flight is an overnight lack of vent vs. sleeping is a no-brainer. There are reports of broken seats, which would certainly negate the benefit.

One thing I don't recall - can the window seat px get out if the aisle seat is fully reclined? If not, I'll change to the two middle seats for me and Mrs. PittDoc.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:23 am
Suspended

what is quieter 1 AC or 1 HG?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
what is quieter 1 AC or 1 HG?
My one experience was that AB was pretty quiet. Of course, that was 10 years ago and I was very, very drunk by the time the plane landed in PHL.

Has anyone flown on a -300 recently and has seen row 1? My bet is that with the -300 conversion this fall, they're no longer advertising the full flat suite as a separate product. This begs the question as to whether Row 1 remains a full flat seat until the plane goes in for refit or if they pull the Row 1 flat seat and replace it with a standard Envoy seat.

Could go both ways....

Here is a photo of old Row 1

http://image38.webshots.com/39/1/26/...9iZRqWs_fs.jpg

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Feb 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm Reason: its 1AB not 1AC
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PittDoc
can the window seat px get out if the aisle seat is fully reclined?
Yes.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE
My one experience was that AC was pretty quiet. Of course, that was 10 years ago and I was very, very drunk by the time the plane landed in PHL.
My experience was exactly the same. Except it was FRA.

I've been in row 1 a few times. Once to/from FRA and once to/from FCO... I'm not sure there is any real advantage (regarding galley noise) to 1A,1C vs. 1G,1H.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.