Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Reports on New US First Class Service -- As of April 1, 2011 (Merged Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

They had the entire new set up on display in the crew room this week so I saw everything first hand. On flights of less than 90 minutes: between 5-9 a.m. they will be serving a package of Biscoffs, after 9:01 they will be serving a snack mix. On flights between 1:31 and 3:29 in length they will be serving the snack basket. The snack basket will be prepacked with 42 assorted items, a selection of 6 new products. The snack basket will also be boarded on Hawaii, red-eye and t/a flights (for the snacking station). Meal flights 3.5 hours and longer will include enhanced menus and glassware. AM/PM Lite Fare will be discontinued in most markets and will be upgraded to full breakfast, lunch and dinner menus. Salt and pepper sachets will replace the current salt/pepper shakers. A new appetizer will be included for lunch/dinner in addition to a salad. There will be a pass/around break basket for lunch/dinner and an upgraded dessert. Glassware will include wine glasses, rocks glasses and coffee mugs (much nicer than the old tiny coffee cups). New drinks will be offered as well; the margaritas, pomigranate martinis and mai tais are going away (no more tequila either), but being replaced with Cosmopolitans and Mojitos.
One of the questions I asked was what happens when the person in Row 1 takes 4 bags of potato chips, how do we make the basket fair to everyone? They said to only put a couple of each item in the basket and replenish it before going to the next row. Right now the flight attendants are the ones that assemble the snack basket, and we have tons and tons of extra snacks. It will be interesting to see how it all works out, I think f/a's will find a way to hoard and hide the basket leftovers to restock the next basket they get. It will be a learning trial for the first couple of weeks, and if they have problems with this basket system then I'm sure they'll work something out.
One other major change is the f/a's are now going to be pre-mixing cocktails instead of presenting unopened minis and a can of mixer. I worked f/c this month and have been asking customers how they feel about this, and if having the can on their tray is that cumbersome and I was shocked to hear that the majority said they don't like having the can because it takes up valuable work space and they don't mind the f/a's mixing their drinks. Shock! Customers have the option of ordering a "light" drink with only half of the mini or a regular drink with the entire mini and mix in the glass. If they want to mix it themselves, all they have to do is ask. The only difference is we will now be taking the tops off of the minis before we serve them. I'm assuming this is to keep the minis from walking off the plane.
Catering boarded a couple of the new snack items and I did some taste testing with the passengers, they liked all of the new items.
I'm flying tomorrow too, will be anxious to see how it all works.
One other major change is the new procedure for taking meal orders on meal flights. Starting tomorrow they will take meal orders front to back on even numbered flights and back to front on odd numbered flights.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: US C.P.
New snack basket---very nice!!

April 1 has arrived, and the new additions to the snack basket are great. The chocolate chip cookies are almost as good as the ones in the club, and there are some little cheesie biscuits which are also super. Good improvement!!!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: Ex Plat, Avis President's, and various hoteliers...
Enjoying the new FC meal service!

Currently on LAX to CLT. First, glass actually is a nice touch...so used to the plastic I was actually surprised that it even matters...but it does. The FA even seems to be enjoying the new routine. In fact the whole cabin is a buzz.

The tray cover is nice. The olive and cheese appetizer is okay, some will like it better than others...but the thought is there...

Always hated the salt and pepper shakers...the new ones are great because salt and pepper actually will dispense...

Salad croutons on the Cesar are soggy as ever, but the dressing is good.

The pass the bread basket is nice as well...love warm bread

The entree delivery is awesome...hot hot hot, and taste better because of it....I am having the BBQ chicken and mashed sweet potato....

Flight attendant seems stoked, an actual first class service, win win.

Nice move Mr Isolm!

YMMV

Last edited by USD2BUSMC; Apr 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum
Thumbs up Same here - CLT to PHX

Enjoying my first run through new FC service here as well.

Meal choices were beef teriyaki or cheese ravioli. They took orders back-to-front since it is an even numbered flight...I'm in 1C so only got choice of cheese ravioli.

The ravioli was very good though. I normally pick at my FC meals, but ate the whole entree. The beef teriyaki looked good as well.

I agree the salt & pepper satchel is a huge improvement. Got a chuckle that the salt was labeled "genuine rock salt" though ...they trying to compete with the sea salt guys? Way better than the "magic" salt they used to have. (I never saw anything come out of those tiny salt shakers...it always felt like I was just waving a magic wand over my food)

Came with a warm roll, but there was no bread basket brought around. Maybe depends on the meal. Crutons fairly soggy. Also came with some sort of grilled chicken appetizer - ok, but a bit much for my taste.

Nice touch from FA ...she took orders back to front, but then served dinner front to back.

Still waiting on dessert. Heard it's Creme Brûlée -- sounds good to me.

Overall a big improvement. WTG US.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:50 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gizmo78
Enjoying my first run through new FC service here as well.

Meal choices were beef teriyaki or cheese ravioli. They took orders back-to-front since it is an even numbered flight...I'm in 1C so only got choice of cheese ravioli.

The ravioli was very good though. I normally pick at my FC meals, but ate the whole entree. The beef teriyaki looked good as well.

I agree the salt & pepper satchel is a huge improvement. Got a chuckle that the salt was labeled "genuine rock salt" though ...they trying to compete with the sea salt guys? Way better than the "magic" salt they used to have. (I never saw anything come out of those tiny salt shakers...it always felt like I was just waving a magic wand over my food)

Came with a warm roll, but there was no bread basket brought around. Maybe depends on the meal. Crutons fairly soggy. Also came with some sort of grilled chicken appetizer - ok, but a bit much for my taste.

Nice touch from FA ...she took orders back to front, but then served dinner front to back.

Still waiting on dessert. Heard it's Creme Brûlée -- sounds good to me.

Overall a big improvement. WTG US.
WOW. I am psyched!!!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...They took orders back-to-front since it is an even numbered flight.
Thanks for the new FC meal review! ^

I'm guessing you're on US705, so that should be an odd-numbered flight fior back-to-front order taking (which would also agree with what GalleyWench reported in another thread).

Hope the dessert is divine!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by USD2BUSMC

Nice move Mr Isolm!
I believe the thanks should go to Hector Adler but in any event the food service sounds like a great upgrade. ^
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by kudzu
...They took orders back-to-front since it is an even numbered flight.
Thanks for the new FC meal review! ^

I'm guessing you're on US705, so that should be an odd-numbered flight fior back-to-front order taking (which would also agree with what GalleyWench reported in another thread).

Hope the dessert is divine!
You're right kudzu, I am on an odd numbered flight...mistake in my original message.

The dessert was good! It actually turned out to be cheesecake - a Tiramisu or Creme Brûlée combo... Not sure which but it was great.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: Ex Plat, Avis President's, and various hoteliers...
Originally Posted by GaryZ
I believe the thanks should go to Hector Adler but in any event the food service sounds like a great upgrade. ^

My bad...thanks Mr Adler...I might be wrong but this change might prove to have a far better impact than they ever anticipated.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

Good to know. My parents booked Row 4 (instead of their usual Row 1) for Tuesday, on my say-so, since it's an even-numbered flight. They were nervous about the FA's following the new policy, but it sounds like they are (or at least yours was).
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Any pictures?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:36 am

Do they still have the shortbread or is that gone? That was my favorite.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:51 am

Still pre-packaged, cheap preservative-laden rubbish by any name.

Best to take your own fruit/sandwich.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA , Marriott Titanium
Fine, I will eat yours! Great improvement!!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
Shortbread cookies are still there (as are the potato chips). The bar mix has changed to something with sesame and mix, I miss the dried cranberries.

There are fruit cookies that are repackaged pop tarts as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.