Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Grand Slam Promotion - Some Good, Some Bad Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by dbasch
I don't see anything preventing someone outside the U.S. from doing this. It was all over the net and you have a U.S. address.

I had not tried the Dividend wireless yet. I was saving those for later.
I had two orders-husband's account and mine. A blackberry case for $3.95 and screen wipes for $2.95 each with shipping extra.

Bose has earbuds for $6.99 free shipping. Look under headphone accessories.

Look at SPG forum, looks like meals without stays work!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:02 pm

How do I?

On the USAirways web site I click on the Bose link and get a single page with no way to browse other products. What am I doing wrong?

ralph
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by Tiki
I went ahead and did 4100 miles on a new Club Bing account. If they post, great, if they don't at least I am not out of pocket anything. I have redeemed to US before and they now have a rule that you can only redeem once per account in each denomination of prize.
I received the Club Bing answer (negative) from the DMSC today:

"Dear TribeFlyer,

Thank you for contacting US Airways.

Club Bing is not considered a partner for the 2009 Grand Slam. We are
including a link with all the partner details below.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...GS09terms.aspx

We value your business and want to thank you for your continued support
of US Airways.

Best regards,

Linda Glenn
US Airways
Dividend Miles Service Center"

Too bad for us...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:29 pm

Does it matter when the activity happened or when it posts?

I have a partner activity on 8/17/09, but it just posted today (9/3/09). Wondering if it would count for the double miles or towards the grand slam.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I would say it's the activity date that matters, not the post date. Consider the reverse situation:

The promotion is over November 15th but as long as it posts by mid February it will be counted. So it's the post date that matters in that instance.

Of course YMMV as US doesn't always run the smoothest of promotions.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
iTunes should be 1 hit right?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by dbasch
3)
ING Sharebuilder actually looks pretty easy. Open an account with no minimum funding, make a free purchase and downgrade the account to basic after a month. Beware, the fee to transfer your money out of Sharebuilder is $75. So, invest 4 bucks, forget about it and cash it out in 20 years
I did the Sharebuilder sign up last night. For those asking about international, there is a box for an international phone number, although they did ask about US residency and a US social security number.

Given that you actually have to buy stock, it probably is not the easiest one to do unless you are actually looking for a brokerage account anyway. BTW, where did you see the charge of $75 to transfer your money out? I did not find any charges, as long as you have a basic account.

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I'm currently at 9 hits, though only first two have posted as of 9/3.
  • Magazine Order (I couldn't handle either 400 mile option. Took Money for 800)
  • Swap Miles (8 AS into 1 US)
  • Credit Card usage
  • Shopping Mall (Bath & Body products the wife was going to buy anyway)
  • OfficeMax ($0.99 pencil pack - bloody $8 to ship though, no other choice)
  • Biscoff Fudge!
  • e-miles - assuming they post. They haven't always.
  • Dividend Miles Wireless - bought some screen protectors for my BlackBerry
  • 21st Century Insurance Quote

Not the cheapest but still worth it. I'm hoping to get to at least 12 if not 16 hits. I have no car rental plans and I stay at non-partner hotels (Kimpton) so I'm kind of out of luck on those.

Other likely possibilities:
  • Dividend Miles Dining
  • FTD
  • SuperShuttle
  • Sentry (Free quote miles, hopefully)
  • SPG Dining - Direct Deposits
I think you are at 7-8 hits - the magazine order is a use of miles, and the 21st Century quote is suspect- did you see Northwest as well? Never the less, impressive, and except for the OfficeMax shipping, doesn't seem expensive. A cheaper hit than Office Max is SkyMall- remember to go through the separate link, not the US Airways Mileage mall. You can get a hit there for $4, using the coupon posted earlier.

Can you explain a little more what you paid to get a hit on Biscoff Fudge?

A hit at a decent cost, if you drink, is the Wine Insider subscription. For $10, you get 1,000 miles, and two bottles of wine, free shipping, and a cork screw. Wine looks pretty awful, but you could always use it for cooking or sangria...

Originally Posted by rrgg
I received Northwest miles for an 80 cent download like that from BN. I think US just cares if the partner posts miles, so I bet it will work.
Well, there is also a $1 ebook download, so I thought what the heck and splurged the extra $0.18 just in case...

Originally Posted by boat9781
iTunes should be 1 hit right?
It counts as a shopping mall hit.

Last edited by friendlyplanet; Sep 3, 2009 at 7:55 pm
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by TribeFlyer
I received the Club Bing answer (negative) from the DMSC today:
How did you phrase the question? If you asked, "Is Club Bing an eligible partner?" someone could look at the T&C and easily say "no."

I'm going to ask, but will mention the "incentive partner" category.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
How did you phrase the question? If you asked, "Is Club Bing an eligible partner?" someone could look at the T&C and easily say "no."

I'm going to ask, but will mention the "incentive partner" category.
But Club Bing is not listed as an incentive partner in the Grand Slam promotion- "US Airways incentive partners. Maximum 1 Hit regardless of number of incentive partners used including but not limited to: Abbey Carpets, Google Check-out, Health Fusion, Loyalty Works, Vankomen Media, VOIP-Pal, Waterfront Place Hotel, WCI Communities"

You can ask, but since it posts as points.com, and doesn't show up as an incentive partner, I would assume it does not count.

Best way to get the "incentive partner" hit IMHO, is to buy a Magicjack through VOIP-Pal- cost is $39.99, so expensive for a hit, but a pretty cool product that can save you a lot of money when you travel, or even at home on your long distance...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by friendlyplanet
I think you are at 7-8 hits - the magazine order is a use of miles, and the 21st Century quote is suspect- did you see Northwest as well? Never the less, impressive, and except for the OfficeMax shipping, doesn't seem expensive. A cheaper hit than Office Max is SkyMall- remember to go through the separate link, not the US Airways Mileage mall. You can get a hit there for $4, using the coupon posted earlier.
Magazines for miles is on the list of eligible partners and to my knowledge there is no "get" option for that, only use. As for the 21st century thing, I did see the WorldPerks on the US branded page for 21st Century. We'll see what happens.

I intend to use SkyMall as well, just forgot to put that on my list. And I'm waiting a couple weeks to make any more purchases.

Can you explain a little more what you paid to get a hit on Biscoff Fudge?
Seemed to be the cheapest thing I was willing to buy. $9.97. There was something else less expensive if I recall but I wasn't interested. I don't buy their cookies online because my local grocer has them for far less money. Oh and I had a one-time use free shipping coupon they gave me as compensation for a previously screwed up order (overcharged by a factor of 10, which they of course reversed also). Otherwise shipping would have been about $8 on top of that. Again, not necessarily the cheapest route to maximum hits but it's a product I would consider without the promo so it's valid to me.

A hit at a decent cost, if you drink, is the Wine Insider subscription. For $10, you get 1,000 miles, and two bottles of wine, free shipping, and a cork screw. Wine looks pretty awful, but you could always use it for cooking or sangria...
Not a wine drinker so that's out. Though for cooking which I didn't think of I may reconsider. Also, according to Starwood Lurker, dining at SPG properties may actually post as valid hits. I'll give that a shot and keep count of my hits to see what posts on the first go-round in October.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:29 pm

But Club Bing is not listed as an incentive partner in the Grand Slam promotion- "US Airways incentive partners. Maximum 1 Hit regardless of number of incentive partners used including but not limited to: Abbey Carpets, Google Check-out, Health Fusion, Loyalty Works, Vankomen Media, VOIP-Pal, Waterfront Place Hotel, WCI Communities"

You can ask, but since it posts as points.com, and doesn't show up as an incentive partner, I would assume it does not count.
Whether it's listed doesn't matter, because of the phrase "but not limited to."

In any case, if it really posts as points.com then you're right and we're out of luck. I've only used Club Bing with AA and didn't remember it posting that way.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:41 pm

Whether it's listed doesn't matter, because of the phrase "but not limited to."

In any case, if it really posts as points.com then you're right and we're out of luck. I've only used Club Bing with AA and didn't remember it posting that way.
Until one posts and we know definitively whether that was the deciding hit or miss for one of us, we just won't know. All my the-Club Live Search prizes posted as "Incentive Miles - points.com" and the last one I got posted 11/26/08.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:56 pm

I meant to reply about this earlier.

I got a hit for Reservation Rewards last year. Required a membership and I canceled it after 30 days. Can't even remember what I paid but there's a pending class action settlement that's in appeals right now regarding that website and a half dozen others. Not worth finding, I say.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
I had two orders-husband's account and mine. A blackberry case for $3.95 and screen wipes for $2.95 each with shipping extra.

Bose has earbuds for $6.99 free shipping. Look under headphone accessories.

Look at SPG forum, looks like meals without stays work!
Yeah, I am going to do my "higher" price items tomorrow. I will post a list of my purchases after I do them.

I have 8 "easy" hits so far with about another 6 "higher" price hits to come .
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
All my the-Club Live Search prizes posted as "Incentive Miles - points.com"
Ditto. I figured since that's a freebie if it posts-- nothing to lose by trying. Even if it posts for those of us who had prior redemptions, it's still a potential 4100 miles max.

I also went for the Biscoff fudge, looks good and will make a nice host gift for my friend in Orlando. I ordered a Gorillapod from SkyMall as I do a lot of bird photography and I like that you can hook it onto trees or anything. Then I found a cheap passport wallet for my husband. I think I can get him to 16 hits with the Starwood meals and I can get me to 12 but might push myself to 16 since it's a big jump up to 20k. It would be hard for a non-USA resident leisure traveller to get more than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.