Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Left netbook at TSA PHL - any ideas or contacts?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Left netbook at TSA PHL - any ideas or contacts?

I always feel terrible for the people who post on here about losing things on their travels. And now it's me.

I am a complete and utter idiot.

I have left a brand new Asus eee PC netbook that I bought for my wonderful husband's birthday at security. Yesterday (Thursday 7/2) I flew US out of PHL. When I went through TSA B at about 10:45am, I stacked it on my laptop in one tray. TSA didn't like that, took them back and rescanned them in seperate trays. I was rushed and out of habit only picked up my laptop. How could I be so stupid????????

I only discovered it today 7/3 after my red eye connection. I immediately called US Club PHL and they gave me the PHL TSA phone number. They were no help. This was one of those "we can't really afford it but he so deserves this" purchases, so I can't replace it.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Mods, I know this is not strictly US Airways, but I beg your indulgence. What a rotten ending to two great smooth ontime US flights with delightful FAs!

AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
How horrible. The best thing would be if someone on this board who was going to PHL soon could PM you and get the specific info and go to TSA in person. Surely the TSA still has it.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I would bet one of the TSA goons is now enjoying it
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Coach, I know I consider you a GREAT friend but I need to say that we shouldn't jump to the conclusions like that so quick.

Take it for what is worth from someone who enjoys heated debates
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by Sally4th
I only discovered it today 7/3 after my red eye connection. I immediately called US Club PHL and they gave me the PHL TSA phone number. They were no help. This was one of those "we can't really afford it but he so deserves this" purchases, so I can't replace it.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?
Well, as ASUS eee is an attractive snag, but I'm surprised PHL TSA were "no help." As I discovered when husband managed to fly out of town after dropping his driver's license at security, the procedure at ORD T3 is to save all unclaimed items for logging and a twice-a-day pick-up, when they are removed to some lost-and-found location. It's the gummint, so they must do something similar at other airports. Didn't PHL TSA tell you they had a log they could check? Of course, that doesn't mean it made it to the log, but it would be some help to know that the log had been checked.

Otherwise, airport lost-and-found is separate and should be checked in addition to US. The airport website will probably have a number (she says, having gone through this for a cheap but beloved mp3 player).
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
bit like my shandy then,
(its a kids drink made with mostly lemonade and a negligable amount of beer,just for flavour) Managed to have it on my person at PHL, had it confiscated (sorry surrendered it) and explained what it was to the TSA lady, came back through the checkpoint for a smoke about half an hour later and one of the male TSA operatives was drinking it.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Any chance the area had a security camera? For a high ticket item like that, it's worth a shot to ask them to check footage. You gotta know about when you went through. Good Luck. Please let us know if you find it.
Eileen
Old Jul 3, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I'd check with airport security. I left an item at SEA screening one time, and when I went to the airport lost and found, they had a whole shelf of laptops that people had left. (Plus a whole shelf of shoes people left at screening, but that's another discussion.)
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Well, I tried TSA PHL again, still no joy. Yes, they do keep a log - and the list of what was left yesterday is long and amazing (the person I spoke with muttered her way through it as she looked). What do they do with all that stuff?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:24 pm

Did you purchase it with an AMEX? If so, you might want to look into their purchase protection program.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by haveric
Did you purchase it with an AMEX? If so, you might want to look into their purchase protection program.

Alas no - but do they insure against stupidity?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA
OP, Please check your PMs. I sent you a message.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Tashawna @ PHL TSA probably snatched the notebook. They steal from checked luggage, so why wouldn't they take something left behind at the x-ray?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by lskohn
Well, as ASUS eee is an attractive snag, but I'm surprised PHL TSA were "no help." As I discovered when husband managed to fly out of town after dropping his driver's license at security, the procedure at ORD T3 is to save all unclaimed items for logging and a twice-a-day pick-up, when they are removed to some lost-and-found location. It's the gummint, so they must do something similar at other airports. Didn't PHL TSA tell you they had a log they could check? Of course, that doesn't mean it made it to the log, but it would be some help to know that the log had been checked.
I had the same experience with ORD T3 security. Left the laptop in its bin on the belt while they poked through my carryon bag. Didn't discover the computer was missing until the next city. TSA had a massive lost item operation above Concourse G. Had no problem collecting it the next day-- just lost the few hours making the extra run to ORD.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to whomever alerted PHLJJS to my situation, I'm crossing my fingers like mad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.