Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles on United/Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways United
US Airways miles on United/Lufthansa

I have a bunch of miles on US Airways (140K+) and am looking into booking a flight overseas later in the year. Since most of the places I'm looking at are serviced by United and Lufthansa how do I go about using USAirways miles to get a ticket on those airlines?

I went to USAirways web site but it wasn't a useful experience for me. Do I have to call USAirways? Call United or Lufthansa?

Obviously I haven't done this before and feel pretty stupid. Can someone help or point me to some good links?

Thanks
Rich
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:29 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by RichardinAz
I have a bunch of miles on US Airways (140K+) and am looking into booking a flight overseas later in the year. Since most of the places I'm looking at are serviced by United and Lufthansa how do I go about using USAirways miles to get a ticket on those airlines?

I went to USAirways web site but it wasn't a useful experience for me. Do I have to call USAirways? Call United or Lufthansa?

Obviously I haven't done this before and feel pretty stupid. Can someone help or point me to some good links?

Thanks
Rich
Simplest, call US airways to book.

If you can't get the trip you want, look up availability for saver awards on UA and on LH on their web sites and then call US airways.

If you want more, then go to ANA web site, for availability and then call US.

Just know that US charges 250$ for ANY change after ticketing.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Was hoping I could do it online (in this age of the internet) but I had a feeling it involved phone calls.

Also thanks for the warning on any changes after ticketing. Hopefully things will work out and I'll be enjoying a free seat to Germany/Switzerland for the holidays again this Christmas.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Looking for flights on the United web site won't do much good. UA FF flights and *A flights are different. I booked UA *A flights using US mile for Hawaii (leaving in 2 weeks) - they showed on the ANA tool, but the same flights were not available on the UA site using UA miles.

If you are trying to grab a rare award (Hawaii, summer Europe F), signing up for the ANA program is priceless (and free).

To actually get the reservations - yes, a phone call is needed. At least they waive the phone fee now, from what I hear, when there's no on-line option.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Ok. I'll have to show more stupidity. What is ANA web site? Do you mean All Nippon Airways? If so why? Most likely I would be looking for a flight from Phoenix to someplace in Germany or Switzerland (probably Frankfurt or Zurich).
Obviously I'm missing something here.
Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk, RichardinAz ^

This thread may be of some help.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardinAz
Ok. I'll have to show more stupidity. What is ANA web site? Do you mean All Nippon Airways? If so why? Most likely I would be looking for a flight from Phoenix to someplace in Germany or Switzerland (probably Frankfurt or Zurich).
Obviously I'm missing something here.
Thanks.
The thread kudzu posted will give alot of info on it. The short answer is that ANA is the only airline that shows you online all award information for Star Alliance carriers (except for Swiss and a few smaller carriers).
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I think I have enough info now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.