Wiki Posts
Search

Booking upgradeable TA fares on the website

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Booking upgradeable TA fares on the website

I am looking to book a trip ROC-PHL-AMS in September and want a chance to use a CP TA upgrade certificate. Since I have hitched my wagon to US for at least a few more months, I want to maximize my mileage by getting the website booking bonus. However, I can find no way to book an upgradeable fare on usairways.com short of booking an immediately upgradeable B or Y fare (ripoff). Am I missing something or will I have to go through the CP desk and forfeit the 500 miles?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by noROCclub
I am looking to book a trip ROC-PHL-AMS in September and want a chance to use a CP TA upgrade certificate.... will I have to go through the CP desk and forfeit the 500 miles?
Looking for upgradeable discount M, H, Q transAtlantic fares on the website is next to impossible - if there's a way, I don't know how. Yes, the Desk can take care of it, at no charge too

It appears decent M,H, Q, fares are now loaded, at least for PHL-AMS. Quick look at random Sep 6 - 9 dates show lowest fare is "V" ($517 +). There are "Q" fares showing from $737 +, "H" from $877 +, and "M" from $1050 +. Which means for as little as a few hundred extra, the CP certs can be used for a decent chance at upgrade. This is the way it once was, and I'm glad to see it return (on a Sep date for this route at least; I haven't checked for others)
Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I've never been able to figure out how to do it on the website either. IIRC United has a good fare class selector on their website. Wish US had that too.

I wonder what would happen if you booked in Y via web and subsequently called the CP desk to change to Q. My suspicion is that they would cancel the entire itinerary, refund entire fare, and reticket anew. It would be a boon if you could just get them to re-class the booked fare and refund the difference.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
This is an item I believe on their "todo" list for the website. Many of us have reported it to them. On the old US website you could "search by price" and get all of the different fare classes to look up this sort of thing. Hopefully they will eventually implement this again.

I'm glad to hear that Q fares are pricing better now. For a while the CP TA certs were a complete joke as Q fares were pricing so much higher than V it was cheaper to just "GoEnvoy." At least it appears that they have some usage now ($120 more than V plus my CP cert for Envoy is reasonable).

BTW, while not totally on topic this is interesting and relevant: If you book a V fare and then later decide you want a Q fare they will charge you a $200 change fee. At least thats what happened to me 2+ years ago when I bought a V fare because it was upgradeable using miles at the time only to have them switch it so V fares were not upgradeable. I then asked to pay for a Q fare and they said "fare difference plus $200." This was before GoEnvoy so I balked...very pissed off at them for their stupidity on not letting me pay them more for the same seat (and a chance to upgrade with miles). Agent on the phone at the time agreed and was sympathetic but could do nothing.

Sean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.