FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   No more pillows in domestic First Class - aligning with AA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1612994-no-more-pillows-domestic-first-class-aligning-aa.html)

scottsam66 Sep 15, 2014 12:06 pm

No more pillows in domestic First Class - aligning with AA

Hello,
My last two flights on A320 FC did not include pillows at all. One didn't include blankets either. Are they "low on stock" for pillows and blankets", or is this just random?
Hope it's just random. I've got a bad neck, and like having the pillow. Does the trick w/out having to pack a neck pillow. (and yes, I know, if I need a pillow, you think I should bring one. you are not moved by my view, that if it's supposed to be part of FC, they should provide it).
Thanks!

Sam I Am Sep 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Anecdotal: No more pillows FC domestic

I haven't noticed a shortage or lack of pillows recently.

gruss Sep 15, 2014 12:20 pm

I had a very senior FA on a flight a couple weeks ago note that pillows were being taken off of flights as part of the new standardized service taking effect 9/1.

Since then I have had flights go both ways, either with or without. The FA said there would still be blankets and so far I have had a blanket on every flight since.

She suggested to the entire F cabin on that flight that we write in to US to let them know if we're not happy with the removal of pillows from flights or any other changes that are going on. Of course we all know how well that will probably go over but it can't hurt to let them know.

travelmad478 Sep 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Flew F yesterday PHL-SFO. No pillows (not sure if they were loaded, but they were not on the seats and I didn't bother to ask for one). To be honest I'd rather not have them on all the seats at the beginning of the flight, since most of the time I don't want to be bothered with them and then have to figure out where to stuff them. But I would like them to be proactively offered by FAs.

iztok Sep 15, 2014 1:00 pm

New "standardization". No pillows. I have not seen any pillows on flights this month.

GalleyWench Sep 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Anecdotal: No more pillows FC domestic

They have been discontinued on most domestic flights but blankets are staying. 99% of the pillows ended up on the floor, in the seat pocket or in the O/h bins anyway. I think they'll still be provided on redeyes.

dcpatti Sep 15, 2014 2:11 pm

No pillows in domestic F, to align with AA's model. Apparently they are just not replenishing them as they get low, so you'll probably see some planes with and some without, till they are all gone.

Also, at least according to flight crew last week, Y passengers will no longer be restricted to only using Y lav (a thing which we all know was pretty loosely enforced to begin with, and honestly doesn't bother me who pees where, but the change to no longer ban Y pax from the F lav will surely make at least some heads asplode).

CDKing Sep 15, 2014 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66 (Post 23529742)
Hope it's just random. I've got a bad neck, and like having the pillow.

If you have an existing medial condition that requires a pillow, I suggest getting one to bring regardless if its should be provided or not. Too risky

phlwookie Sep 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Since 9/1, all of my flights (10 so far this month) have had blankets, and none have had pillows. I normally don't use the pillows, but another Chairman's colleague used to use both the provided one and I'd give her mine when we flew together so, as usual, someone isn't thrilled with this.

nlkm9 Sep 15, 2014 4:02 pm

I didnt even notice until you mention it--blanket today, no pillow. but you can buy a powernap kit:p

Venabili Sep 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by gruss (Post 23529829)
I had a very senior FA on a flight a couple weeks ago note that pillows were being taken off of flights as part of the new standardized service taking effect 9/1.

Same explanation from the FA on a DCA-PHX flight last week - someone asked where are the pillows...

AZ Travels the World Sep 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Maybe in exchange for pillows, they'll keep the third row in the A319s! ;)

This is one that doesn't really bother me. I can't imagine putting one of those used pillows near my head. (Especially after seeing so many people use them as additional seat padding.)

lizs Sep 15, 2014 5:43 pm

I didn't notice but sure enough, in F right now PHX-BOS and no pillow. Even on red eyes will this be true?

oldsmoboi Sep 15, 2014 5:47 pm

No pillow on CLT-PIT last week.

johnslloyd Sep 15, 2014 6:56 pm

No pillows my last four US flights. FA on most recent flight said they may be coming back due to complaints. Blankies still present on all four. Two of the four were redeyes.

mikelat Sep 15, 2014 8:16 pm

I've been on the AA side and without pillows on anything but a transcon, but even then I don't miss them. Any flight that I'd want a pillow on I take my own as that soft thing they call a pillow doesn't help me any with head support in any position where I'd want to sleep. I think its good to remove them as they mostly just got put in the footwell when I was on anything but a TATL or TPAC flight.

nautikal Sep 15, 2014 9:40 pm

I always end up playing the head bob game when using the pillows, so they just get in the way.

Now, opening up the F lav to Y is :td:. Last thing I want is people constantly going up and down that aisle to the point where you can only get restful sleep in a window seat.

ubernostrum Sep 16, 2014 12:44 am

Four segments in F the past few days, all with blanket and no pillow.

I always just tossed both of them in the overhead bin as soon as I got to the seat, so not really missing 'em. I have an actual pillow for long flights.

Fanjet Sep 16, 2014 12:44 am

I can't think of anything more nasty on an airplane than the pillow. (Well the lavatories give them a good run for their money). Never use them. Whenever one is placed on the seat, I always put in it the overhead or on the floor.

GalleyWench Sep 16, 2014 1:27 am

Pillows weren't that bad as far as being clean, the pillowcases were changed just about every leg. It's the blankets that are reused during the day. As I said before, and people are verifying the pillows almost always ended up on the floor, in the overhead or occasionally "walking" to Y. Very rarely did anyone actually use them.

MrAndy1369 Sep 16, 2014 2:46 am

You mean AA F (regional/midcons) didn't have pillows? Didn't realize that. I thought all AA F flights had pillows, in addition to the blankets.

sjpmurph01 Sep 16, 2014 4:37 am

I've also noticed the pillows missing from my last few flights in US F. I almost always found myself stuffing the pillow next to the seat the moment I sat down through, so I can't say I'm directly affected by the change. I'll lump this into the category of cost-saving moves that I only begrudge because it reminds me they're pinching every penny, not because I actually want a pillow.

It seems to me that a reasonable solution would be for a supply of pillows to still be stocked on board and offered as an option to FC pax, but not simply waiting on every seat.

"Can I offer you a drink prior to takeoff?
Yes, double scotch on the rocks please.
Will you be needing a pillow as well?"

lemfc Sep 16, 2014 11:55 am

Anyone have an idea of how much pillow savings money we are talking about here? Those things can't cost US more than a dollar or two. Will they charge for sodas again next? IMO This is an example of dumb cost cutting.

scottsam66 Sep 16, 2014 4:51 pm

I bring an inflatable on by travelrest. It's pretty unwieldy, but does the job. I prefer to not have to use it, but now I guess I will. I don't like the ones that go around the neck and you can't compress and slip in a bag. Personal taste.
Oh well.

JenniferNAz Sep 16, 2014 8:39 pm

I am one who liked the pillows. I know that some don't use them but to say that 99% don't doesn't mesh with what I see on my flights.

I am not thrilled about this, as it is just one more thing I now need to bring with me that I really don't have any room for.

I can see having a smaller number if they don't seem to all be used, available if requested.

Does AA also have only 1 litre bottles of water on flights? Anyone know if we will be able to get a bottle of water if we want one anytime soon?

tommyleo Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 23532985)
I can't think of anything more nasty on an airplane than the pillow.

How come so many people think the pillows are nasty yet have no problem resting their heads against the same seat backs that thousands of other people have used? :confused:

AZ Travels the World Sep 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 23538023)
How come so many people think the pillows are nasty yet have no problem resting their heads against the same seat backs that thousands of other people have used? :confused:

Because the seatback headrests haven't been put on the floor and rubbed around by shoeless, sockless feet.

Or used to cushion those same feet on the bulkhead -- or arm rest in front, or on top of a computer bag.

Or sat on and used as a catalytic converter in all the way across the country.

Or used to muffle a sneeze because there was nothing else.

Stuff like that. ;)

I've seen all of this -- and none of it is particularly rare.

nautikal Sep 16, 2014 9:36 pm

My skin doesn't touch the seat back though

tommyleo Sep 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 23538044)
Because the seatback headrests haven't been put on the floor and rubbed around by shoeless, sockless feet.

Or used to cushion those same feet on the bulkhead -- or arm rest in front, or on top of a computer bag.

Or sat on and used as a catalytic converter in all the way across the country.

Or used to muffle a sneeze because there was nothing else.

Stuff like that. ;)

I've seen all of this -- and none of it is particularly rare.

Fair enough. But dirty heads have for hours at a time touched the same seat backs that we all put our heads against. It's funny what people choose to ignore.

Fanjet Sep 17, 2014 12:27 am

If the headrest looks dirty, I sometimes will use a handy wipe on it. Moreover, the headrest only touches the back of my head; not my face. And previous users of that headrest were less likely breathing or coughing into it; and in some cases not sitting on it.

Sam I Am Sep 17, 2014 9:55 pm

And since my first post, none of my flights have had pillows. (At least domestic ones).. Guess I was lucky for a bit.

tacostuff Sep 18, 2014 5:46 am

Haha, I love FlyerTalk. I just got on an MHT-CLT flight in F and the first thing I noticed was a blanket, but no pillow. Sure enough, I jump on to FT while sipping my PDB and I find this thread to answer all my questions!

Put me in to the camp of "I don't use them and always get annoyed when I have to stuff it somewhere, but I still think it's cheap to remove them." I'd go with the option of keeping a few on board for those who ask for them.

racefaith Sep 18, 2014 2:06 pm

2 redeyes: no pillows

Originally Posted by GalleyWench (Post 23530179)
They have been discontinued on most domestic flights but blankets are staying. 99% of the pillows ended up on the floor, in the seat pocket or in the O/h bins anyway. I think they'll still be provided on redeyes.

Flew SFO-PHL on 9/10 and LAX-PHL last night: no pillows on either.

Would seem pillows gone entirely.

I was a big fan of stuffing them in the small of my back to sleep at night to create my own lie-flat!

Additionaly observations about last nights LAX-PHL flight:

- 1 bottle of white wine in FC last night, killed prior to take off. FA went back to check coach an hour in and no white wine left for purchase and no splits of cava either. First time I've seen that "light" of a catering job.

- Door closing announcement included something to the extent if someone wanted to De-Plane, this was their last chance....never expecting to hear that!

Still like the return to glass and new nut service on trans-con pre meal service.

The balancing of Improvements and takeaways....

phlwookie Sep 19, 2014 10:29 am

Originally Posted by racefaith (Post 23547294)
- Door closing announcement included something to the extent if someone wanted to De-Plane, this was their last chance....never expecting to hear that!

I heard the same on a Wednesday CLT-ATL. That was a new one for me. If it's isolated, we may have had the same cabin crew - one of the FAs on that A321 crew mentioned they were heading to PHX and LAX, so they might have actually operated your flight as well.

New today for me was much thicker AA-branded blankets in F on US 1847 ATL-PHL that I'm currently on. I suppose if it was 40 degrees on the flight I might've wanted one, but it was thick enough you might be able to make it into an improvised pillow.

sjpmurph01 Sep 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie (Post 23551226)
I heard the same on a Wednesday CLT-ATL. That was a new one for me. If it's isolated, we may have had the same cabin crew - one of the FAs on that A321 crew mentioned they were heading to PHX and LAX, so they might have actually operated your flight as well.

New today for me was much thicker AA-branded blankets in F on US 1847 ATL-PHL that I'm currently on. I suppose if it was 40 degrees on the flight I might've wanted one, but it was thick enough you might be able to make it into an improvised pillow.

I've been hearing the 'this is your last chance to de-board' message on a number of recent flights. Not 100%, but it does seem like it is part of the new script that FA's are gradually adjusting to. I find it a very odd thing to highlight in the announcement.

Flyer78 Sep 20, 2014 1:21 pm

If someone took that chance to exit the plane, would any checked baggage have to be off-loaded?

On long-haul flights, I have heard the announcement "all ground crew deplane now" (not verbatim) on various carriers.

JenniferNAz Sep 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie (Post 23551226)

I had one of those on an AA flight the other day. If this is what blankets were like on all flights, that would at least be a bit better. I was able to use it as a blanket and put it between my knee and the armrest like I often do with the pillow.

I still think having a few on the plane would make sense and having them for the red eye flights.

A4K Sep 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Anyone know what US is doing about their Business class bedding?

As far as I know they are still using the ols\d blue blanket and small pillow, which are pretty bad. Do they plan to integrate with the AA bedding? It is significntly better.

They have moved the AA headphones and IFE into Biz class already.

txrus Sep 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by racefaith (Post 23547294)
Door closing announcement included something to the extent if someone wanted to De-Plane, this was their last chance....never expecting to hear that!

According to the FAs/GA on my flight Sunday, that's a US thing that is migrating to AA, though they refused to make that announcement & stuck w/the usual AA 'the front door has now been closed, please turn off & put away all large electronic devices...'

Flyer78 Sep 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by txrus (Post 23571965)
According to the FAs/GA on my flight Sunday, that's a US thing that is migrating to AA, though they refused to make that announcement & stuck w/the usual AA 'the front door has now been closed, please turn off & put away all large electronic devices...'

If that is something they are migrating to, then it is new to both carriers. US crews have typically made a similar announcement about the boarding door and turning off large electronics...