FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Standby Priority: US Silver or AA PLT? US ticket, US metal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1582722-standby-priority-us-silver-aa-plt-us-ticket-us-metal.html)

jeelele Jun 4, 2014 12:23 pm

Standby Priority: US Silver or AA PLT? US ticket, US metal

Does anyone know what the standby priority is between US Preferred vs AA Elites? The flight is on US marketed and flown flight, US issued ticket. Will US Silver have a higher priority or AA PLT?

I searched for this answer on the board but couldn't find a relevant thread that answers this.

Would appreciate your inputs.

dtremit Jun 4, 2014 2:42 pm

I believe AA PLT will outrank US Silver -- but do remember that on US operated flights, standby is only available if confirmed seats are not available. If confirmed seats are available on the flight, you must use MoveUp (US' SDC, which is free for elites).

seawolf Jun 4, 2014 6:04 pm

Standby Priority: US Silver or AA PLT? US ticket, US metal

I think US Silver will also rank below OW emeralds and sapphires.

Speedracer2 Jun 4, 2014 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 22979818)

I think the upgrade reciprocity is only between US and AA, not between any OW airline?

dtremit Jun 4, 2014 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Speedracer2 (Post 22980090)
I think the upgrade reciprocity is only between US and AA, not between any OW airline?

We're not talking about upgrades...

Speedracer2 Jun 5, 2014 10:08 am

Originally Posted by dtremit (Post 22980674)
We're not talking about upgrades...

I was not aware that there was standby priority reciprocity between OW airlines. Has this been discussed anywhere?

dtremit Jun 5, 2014 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Speedracer2 (Post 22983124)
I was not aware that there was standby priority reciprocity between OW airlines. Has this been discussed anywhere?

"Priority standby and waitlisting" is a OW benefit at all levels.

TwoDecks Jun 5, 2014 4:36 pm

This is not the direct answer to your question, but probably should help. I was flying on AA metal, on an AA ticket, with my US frequent flier number (I am a CP). My colleague was on same flight with AA metal on AA ticket and he is a million miler on AA and is a Platinum on AA.

We both tried to fly standby on an earlier flight. He was at gate agent first, she put him on the list and he was told he was #1 on stand by list. I came to gate agent and said I was CP on USAir, can I get onto standby list. She said she didn't know - she keyed in my info and said - oh you're Executive Plantinum, you're ahead of the list. My colleague was pissed (although he is the junior guy, so he couldn't be so pissed) as he was bumped to #2 and she said probably only one of you would get the seat (we ended up both getting a seat).

Long way of saying, I have to imagine it would work the other way, and they would get priority over you

jeelele Jun 6, 2014 9:48 am

Originally Posted by TwoDecks (Post 22985261)
This is not the direct answer to your question, but probably should help. I was flying on AA metal, on an AA ticket, with my US frequent flier number (I am a CP). My colleague was on same flight with AA metal on AA ticket and he is a million miler on AA and is a Platinum on AA.

We both tried to fly standby on an earlier flight. He was at gate agent first, she put him on the list and he was told he was #1 on stand by list. I came to gate agent and said I was CP on USAir, can I get onto standby list. She said she didn't know - she keyed in my info and said - oh you're Executive Plantinum, you're ahead of the list. My colleague was pissed (although he is the junior guy, so he couldn't be so pissed) as he was bumped to #2 and she said probably only one of you would get the seat (we ended up both getting a seat).

Long way of saying, I have to imagine it would work the other way, and they would get priority over you

Thanks, this account of yours is very helpful. This suggests that at least among US and AA, higher status trumps for standby priority regardless of the metal you are standing by on, irrespective of the program you belong to.

Thus, AA PLT > US Silver

jeelele Jun 6, 2014 9:51 am

Originally Posted by dtremit (Post 22978798)
I believe AA PLT will outrank US Silver -- but do remember that on US operated flights, standby is only available if confirmed seats are not available. If confirmed seats are available on the flight, you must use MoveUp (US' SDC, which is free for elites).

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 22979818)

Originally Posted by TwoDecks (Post 22985261)

Thank you, all! Sincerely appreciate your inputs. I can now plan accordingly if we do decide to use MoveUp or fly standby on an earlier flight.

Can any one confirm if we can use MoveUp or Standby, even if we have checked our bags?

dtremit Jun 6, 2014 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jeelele (Post 22988646)
Thank you, all! Sincerely appreciate your inputs. I can now plan accordingly if we do decide to use MoveUp or fly standby on an earlier flight.

Can any one confirm if we can use MoveUp or Standby, even if we have checked our bags?

I can't speak to standby -- as I've never actually had occasion to use it voluntarily -- but you would typically MoveUp at the ticket counter before checking bags.