Standby Priority: US Silver or AA PLT? US ticket, US metal

 
Old Jun 4, 14, 1:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: East Coast
Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Posts: 1,226
Standby Priority: US Silver or AA PLT? US ticket, US metal

Does anyone know what the standby priority is between US Preferred vs AA Elites? The flight is on US marketed and flown flight, US issued ticket. Will US Silver have a higher priority or AA PLT?

I searched for this answer on the board but couldn't find a relevant thread that answers this.

Would appreciate your inputs.

Last edited by jeelele; Jun 4, 14 at 3:01 pm
jeelele is offline  
Old Jun 4, 14, 3:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,410
I believe AA PLT will outrank US Silver -- but do remember that on US operated flights, standby is only available if confirmed seats are not available. If confirmed seats are available on the flight, you must use MoveUp (US' SDC, which is free for elites).
dtremit is offline  
Old Jun 4, 14, 7:04 pm
  #3  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 12,268
Standby Priority: US Silver or AA PLT? US ticket, US metal

I think US Silver will also rank below OW emeralds and sapphires.
seawolf is online now  
Old Jun 4, 14, 8:14 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
I think US Silver will also rank below OW emeralds and sapphires.
I think the upgrade reciprocity is only between US and AA, not between any OW airline?
Speedracer2 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 14, 10:42 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,410
Originally Posted by Speedracer2 View Post
I think the upgrade reciprocity is only between US and AA, not between any OW airline?
We're not talking about upgrades...
dtremit is offline  
Old Jun 5, 14, 11:08 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
We're not talking about upgrades...
I was not aware that there was standby priority reciprocity between OW airlines. Has this been discussed anywhere?
Speedracer2 is offline  
Old Jun 5, 14, 11:21 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,410
Originally Posted by Speedracer2 View Post
I was not aware that there was standby priority reciprocity between OW airlines. Has this been discussed anywhere?
"Priority standby and waitlisting" is a OW benefit at all levels.
dtremit is offline  
Old Jun 5, 14, 5:36 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: BOS / PHL
Programs: US Chairman
Posts: 61
This is not the direct answer to your question, but probably should help. I was flying on AA metal, on an AA ticket, with my US frequent flier number (I am a CP). My colleague was on same flight with AA metal on AA ticket and he is a million miler on AA and is a Platinum on AA.

We both tried to fly standby on an earlier flight. He was at gate agent first, she put him on the list and he was told he was #1 on stand by list. I came to gate agent and said I was CP on USAir, can I get onto standby list. She said she didn't know - she keyed in my info and said - oh you're Executive Plantinum, you're ahead of the list. My colleague was pissed (although he is the junior guy, so he couldn't be so pissed) as he was bumped to #2 and she said probably only one of you would get the seat (we ended up both getting a seat).

Long way of saying, I have to imagine it would work the other way, and they would get priority over you
TwoDecks is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 10:48 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: East Coast
Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Posts: 1,226
Originally Posted by TwoDecks View Post
This is not the direct answer to your question, but probably should help. I was flying on AA metal, on an AA ticket, with my US frequent flier number (I am a CP). My colleague was on same flight with AA metal on AA ticket and he is a million miler on AA and is a Platinum on AA.

We both tried to fly standby on an earlier flight. He was at gate agent first, she put him on the list and he was told he was #1 on stand by list. I came to gate agent and said I was CP on USAir, can I get onto standby list. She said she didn't know - she keyed in my info and said - oh you're Executive Plantinum, you're ahead of the list. My colleague was pissed (although he is the junior guy, so he couldn't be so pissed) as he was bumped to #2 and she said probably only one of you would get the seat (we ended up both getting a seat).

Long way of saying, I have to imagine it would work the other way, and they would get priority over you
Thanks, this account of yours is very helpful. This suggests that at least among US and AA, higher status trumps for standby priority regardless of the metal you are standing by on, irrespective of the program you belong to.

Thus, AA PLT > US Silver
jeelele is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 10:51 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: East Coast
Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Posts: 1,226
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
I believe AA PLT will outrank US Silver -- but do remember that on US operated flights, standby is only available if confirmed seats are not available. If confirmed seats are available on the flight, you must use MoveUp (US' SDC, which is free for elites).
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
I think US Silver will also rank below OW emeralds and sapphires.
Originally Posted by TwoDecks View Post
This is not the direct answer to your question, but probably should help. I was flying on AA metal, on an AA ticket, with my US frequent flier number (I am a CP). My colleague was on same flight with AA metal on AA ticket and he is a million miler on AA and is a Platinum on AA.

We both tried to fly standby on an earlier flight. He was at gate agent first, she put him on the list and he was told he was #1 on stand by list. I came to gate agent and said I was CP on USAir, can I get onto standby list. She said she didn't know - she keyed in my info and said - oh you're Executive Plantinum, you're ahead of the list. My colleague was pissed (although he is the junior guy, so he couldn't be so pissed) as he was bumped to #2 and she said probably only one of you would get the seat (we ended up both getting a seat).

Long way of saying, I have to imagine it would work the other way, and they would get priority over you
Thank you, all! Sincerely appreciate your inputs. I can now plan accordingly if we do decide to use MoveUp or fly standby on an earlier flight.

Can any one confirm if we can use MoveUp or Standby, even if we have checked our bags?
jeelele is offline  
Old Jun 6, 14, 9:55 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,410
Originally Posted by jeelele View Post
Thank you, all! Sincerely appreciate your inputs. I can now plan accordingly if we do decide to use MoveUp or fly standby on an earlier flight.

Can any one confirm if we can use MoveUp or Standby, even if we have checked our bags?
I can't speak to standby -- as I've never actually had occasion to use it voluntarily -- but you would typically MoveUp at the ticket counter before checking bags.
dtremit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: