FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1538399-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2014-a.html)

AZ Travels the World Feb 7, 2014 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mrwise (Post 22307070)
If you're the only elite, my understanding is that 3 people on the res will exclude you from the sweep. Only way out is for you to split the res if upgrades are important.

That's exactly right.

PaceLaw2012 Feb 8, 2014 8:29 am

No upgrades here... the rate is 1 companion for each elite on the PNR, although historically anything above 2 people on the PNR is difficult to get upgraded.

FlightNurse Feb 8, 2014 11:14 am

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012 (Post 22310172)
No upgrades here... the rate is 1 companion for each elite on the PNR, although historically anything above 2 people on the PNR is difficult to get upgraded.

This isn't true, there is a FT member who has gotten Himself (elite) girlfriend/wife and son (own seat) all upgraded. I guess it fall under YMMV

Joshua Feb 8, 2014 11:56 am

During the inclement weather last week, I MoveUp'd to an earlier flight CLT-CAK. The original flight was a CRJ200, the new one was an ERJ170 or CRJ700. My flight was WX delayed, but I lucked out and the earlier flight was over 3 hours MX delay, so I was able to make it right around final call.

Check in agent booked me into seat 4A (which is a pretty good seat), but the flight went out with 2 empty F class seats.

I'm US plat by the way.

FlightNurse Feb 8, 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua (Post 22311272)
During the inclement weather last week, I MoveUp'd to an earlier flight CLT-CAK. The original flight was a CRJ200, the new one was an ERJ170 or CRJ700. My flight was WX delayed, but I lucked out and the earlier flight was over 3 hours MX delay, so I was able to make it right around final call.

Check in agent booked me into seat 4A (which is a pretty good seat), but the flight went out with 2 empty F class seats.

I'm US plat by the way.

Sounds like weather misconnects or people didn't want to wait around.

Joshua Feb 9, 2014 8:47 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 22311334)
Sounds like weather misconnects or people didn't want to wait around.

I've actually seen CAK-CLT and return not full on more than one occasion, and I'm pretty sure I've sat next to op ups as well.

CAK just isn't a Preferred heavy market.

pbuntrock Feb 17, 2014 10:48 am

The inhumanity of it all – no upgrade PHL-BOS

I've never missed BOS-PHL-BOS on any day at anytime. It looks like this Saturday I'll miss on PHL-BOS.

I guess a weekend between two school vacation weeks is the reason. I guess I'll have to live with a 45 minute flight in Y. Oh, the inhumanity.... :D

dtremit Feb 17, 2014 10:56 am

Everything is completely screwy in and out of BOS this weekend -- one of the few times I've seen Saturday midday flights be more expensive than Friday evening! I'm flying into PVD, which I almost never do.

BigErn Feb 17, 2014 7:10 pm

Randomly at around noon today, I received my First Class upgrade status e-mail. Today is T-8 and of course I get a thumbs down and it mentions "Too early for upgrade." That seems like a pretty obvious statement since we are not even at T-7, so why did the e-mail even come out?

It's the first time I've ever gotten one prior to my clearing window (which is hopefully tomorrow AM).

Venabili Feb 18, 2014 9:54 am

Originally Posted by BigErn (Post 22367443)
Randomly at around noon today, I received my First Class upgrade status e-mail. Today is T-8 and of course I get a thumbs down and it mentions "Too early for upgrade." That seems like a pretty obvious statement since we are not even at T-7, so why did the e-mail even come out?

It's the first time I've ever gotten one prior to my clearing window (which is hopefully tomorrow AM).

Happens to me all the time when the flight is in the late afternoon/evening. Twice this year so far - both cleared at T-5. The early afternoon flights didn't get the too early mail (and both cleared at T-7)

BigErn Feb 18, 2014 10:12 am

Flight isn't an afternoon flight, so I'm still perplexed. Fortunately, today (T-7) I'm now in 1C. :D

lizs Feb 18, 2014 11:12 am

Wow, the trick of checking in again to see if a F seat finally worked for me! On PHX-DCA tomorrow too, an upgrade I have never come close to getting. I was so excited to grab that F seat, thank you FT members for alerting me to that!!!!

AlphaTango Feb 18, 2014 11:31 am

Originally Posted by lizs (Post 22371155)
Wow, the trick of checking in again to see if a F seat finally worked for me! On PHX-DCA tomorrow too, an upgrade I have never come close to getting. I was so excited to grab that F seat, thank you FT members for alerting me to that!!!!

^ Where were you on the UG list before you got the seat?

lizs Feb 18, 2014 11:45 am

Originally Posted by AlphaTango (Post 22371265)
^ Where were you on the UG list before you got the seat?

I was 2nd when I checked in but that was more than 24 hours in advance since I have a connecting flight. As GP I don't think there's any chance I would've gotten the upgrade. Today's PHX-DCA had 19 on the upgrade list and I'm sure tomorrow's will end up being similar.

I'm row 1 so will really have to dash after my SNA-PHX flight to get some bin space but that is a sacrifice I am more than willing to make. Plus as a petite woman the male business travelers are usually happy to pass my bag up for me :D

fordan Feb 19, 2014 7:24 am

Originally Posted by BigErn (Post 22367443)

Bet the flight was a Y or B fare; that's usually when I see the early upgrade notices.

When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) Coach ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare Coach tickets over all other fares.