FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   checking bag during stopover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1476302-checking-bag-during-stopover.html)

Duke787 Jun 15, 2013 11:08 am

checking bag during stopover

I couldn't find a baggage thread or an answer to this question anywhere, if I missed it mods feel free to move this.

I have a bit of an odd situation regarding baggage. On an upcoming flight I'm routing LGA - DCA - BTV on US Air with a 3.5 hour layover in DCA. I'm going to BTV for vacation so I need to check a bag but I'd prefer not to bring it with me up to NYC during the work week. However I live pretty close to DCA and would have more than enough time to get to and from DCA to get my checked bag during a 3.5 hour layover. My question is whether I can then check my bag when I get back to DCA for the DCA - BTV portion only since I'd be checking in a mid-trip (fee is not an issue as I'm *G so I'm not worried about how / what they would charge me since it will be waived).

tommyleo Jun 15, 2013 11:27 am

I'd be surprised if you cannot do this on a layover. I've purposely "short-checked" bags to layover cities and then went to the ticket desk at the layover city to check my bag.

flyinstyle Jun 15, 2013 12:02 pm

I think you won't have any problem...

Last year, I had 4 hours layover in Frankfurt that I went through the security and went outside to buy a Rimowa also checked in it.... I didnt have any problem for checkin another luggage in layover city

eyeballer Jun 15, 2013 12:22 pm

I think the main concern would be the risk of LGA-DCA being delayed..

Often1 Jun 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Delays, cancellations or any louseup and you've got a problem.

Consider using Fedex Ground for the suitcase. Maybe 2-3 days and a 40-pound bag might cost $25-30.

Duke787 Jun 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo (Post 20928249)
I'd be surprised if you cannot do this on a layover. I've purposely "short-checked" bags to layover cities and then went to the ticket desk at the layover city to check my bag.

Originally Posted by flyinstyle (Post 20928384)
I think you won't have any problem...

Last year, I had 4 hours layover in Frankfurt that I went through the security and went outside to buy a Rimowa also checked in it.... I didnt have any problem for checkin another luggage in layover city

Okay cool, I'll give it a go and report back if I have any issues

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20928623)
Delays, cancellations or any louseup and you've got a problem.

Consider using Fedex Ground for the suitcase. Maybe 2-3 days and a 40-pound bag might cost $25-30.

Yeah fair enough, I'll see what the weather is projecting that week, I mean absolute worst case I CAN check the bag with me up to NYC for the work week and just get laughed at by my co-workers for acting like an amateur consultant :D

Indelaware Jun 16, 2013 9:26 pm

What you have is neither a layover nor a stopover. It is a connection.

That said, there is no problem checking a bag at any point on one's routing providing there is time to do it.