checking bag during stopover

 
Old Jun 15, 13, 11:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,767
checking bag during stopover

I couldn't find a baggage thread or an answer to this question anywhere, if I missed it mods feel free to move this.

I have a bit of an odd situation regarding baggage. On an upcoming flight I'm routing LGA - DCA - BTV on US Air with a 3.5 hour layover in DCA. I'm going to BTV for vacation so I need to check a bag but I'd prefer not to bring it with me up to NYC during the work week. However I live pretty close to DCA and would have more than enough time to get to and from DCA to get my checked bag during a 3.5 hour layover. My question is whether I can then check my bag when I get back to DCA for the DCA - BTV portion only since I'd be checking in a mid-trip (fee is not an issue as I'm *G so I'm not worried about how / what they would charge me since it will be waived).
Duke787 is online now  
Old Jun 15, 13, 11:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,904
I'd be surprised if you cannot do this on a layover. I've purposely "short-checked" bags to layover cities and then went to the ticket desk at the layover city to check my bag.
tommyleo is offline  
Old Jun 15, 13, 12:02 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WORLD
Programs: AA, US, BA, AV
Posts: 92
I think you won't have any problem...

Last year, I had 4 hours layover in Frankfurt that I went through the security and went outside to buy a Rimowa also checked in it.... I didnt have any problem for checkin another luggage in layover city
flyinstyle is offline  
Old Jun 15, 13, 12:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Posts: 444
I think the main concern would be the risk of LGA-DCA being delayed..
eyeballer is offline  
Old Jun 15, 13, 1:07 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,687
Delays, cancellations or any louseup and you've got a problem.

Consider using Fedex Ground for the suitcase. Maybe 2-3 days and a 40-pound bag might cost $25-30.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 9:07 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,767
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
I'd be surprised if you cannot do this on a layover. I've purposely "short-checked" bags to layover cities and then went to the ticket desk at the layover city to check my bag.
Originally Posted by flyinstyle View Post
I think you won't have any problem...

Last year, I had 4 hours layover in Frankfurt that I went through the security and went outside to buy a Rimowa also checked in it.... I didnt have any problem for checkin another luggage in layover city
Okay cool, I'll give it a go and report back if I have any issues

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Delays, cancellations or any louseup and you've got a problem.

Consider using Fedex Ground for the suitcase. Maybe 2-3 days and a 40-pound bag might cost $25-30.
Yeah fair enough, I'll see what the weather is projecting that week, I mean absolute worst case I CAN check the bag with me up to NYC for the work week and just get laughed at by my co-workers for acting like an amateur consultant
Duke787 is online now  
Old Jun 16, 13, 9:26 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,187
What you have is neither a layover nor a stopover. It is a connection.

That said, there is no problem checking a bag at any point on one's routing providing there is time to do it.
Indelaware is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: