Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What hotels are used in CLT for distressed passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:43 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
What hotels are used in CLT for distressed passengers?

I've just been notified that my flight into CLT later is delayed to the point that I will miss my connection to PHL(also the last flight of the day). The reason cited is maintenance, so I believe I will be entitled food and hotel vouchers. As my now delayed flight will arrive around midnight, with a 757 full of passengers, I'm hoping they have the vouchers all sorted out and ready since I suspect many of us will have missed connections as well.

I called reservations and they did protect/book me on tomorrow's first flight to PHL but said my only option regarding overnight accommodations is to wait until arriving at CLT to get the hotel taken care of, to which I replied that I hope there are agents in CLT at midnight aware and waiting for this 3 hour delayed flight. Is there any other avenue I have to get this proactively done, or do I just wait?

And, bigger question - what hotels in CLT do they typically send people to?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:49 am

I always stay at the Marriott when I get stranded in CLT. It's about 5miles from the airport.
Not sure what USAir uses.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
You will get a voucher with a website to book through or telephone number to call. You will probably have the pick of a couple low to mid quality places. It wont be just one.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by PHL
...And, bigger question - what hotels in CLT do they typically send people to?
Higher end would be the airport Sheraton, if available. Lower end - you really don't want to know

Happened to me a few times. Late at night, I'm tired, don't relish the thought of standing in line possibly for a long time, and I simply use hotel points or bid online for a hotel room with airport shuttle (on my own dime).
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
I've just been notified that my flight into CLT later is delayed to the point that I will miss my connection to PHL(also the last flight of the day). The reason cited is maintenance, so I believe I will be entitled food and hotel vouchers. As my now delayed flight will arrive around midnight, with a 757 full of passengers, I'm hoping they have the vouchers all sorted out and ready since I suspect many of us will have missed connections as well.

I called reservations and they did protect/book me on tomorrow's first flight to PHL but said my only option regarding overnight accommodations is to wait until arriving at CLT to get the hotel taken care of, to which I replied that I hope there are agents in CLT at midnight aware and waiting for this 3 hour delayed flight. Is there any other avenue I have to get this proactively done, or do I just wait?

And, bigger question - what hotels in CLT do they typically send people to?
Yes I guess you're coming from San Jose, Costa Rica... US Airways is aware...they will have all your bookings redone...normally they set up a table in the customs baggage claim and hand everyone their vouchers and bookings...typical us airways hotels are like...la quinta...ramada...etc.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DerDolmetscher
...la quinta...ramada...etc.
Scored the Quality Inn over the summer from US. It was decently sketchy, and the room was barely tolerable. I'm glad I didn't have a black light to see what was really on the bed spread/sheets/walls/carpet. Didn't feel super safe, either.

It was a terrible weather afternoon/evening in CLT, so available hotels were few and far between.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Not sure what hotels are on the list but if Wingate on Little Rock is avail go for it. I know they have a distressed psgr rate if you are paying.

One other thing AVOID hotels on Queen City Dr. High crime area.

Last edited by coachrowsey; Jan 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm Reason: Added last line.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I was put up at the Country Inn and Suites on Little Rock on Christmas night. Staff was great and could not do enough for us as they knew were were all stranded. They used the shuttle bus to drive us to a Chinese place that was the only place open that night. The hotel was just OK but at least they put us up. Others on my flight got to go to the 4 points not sure how they decided.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Indeed the reps had all the new boarding passes and hotel vouchers printed out as we came out of customs. My accommodation was at the Sleep Inn, but I had already booked the Hampton Inn for $40 + 12,500 HH points(which was a very nice hotel for being a Hampton). I just didn't feel like rolling the dice and queuing up with a lot of passengers so I took care of it before I departed. But, it was all very quick and would have worked out had I not done it that way.

I told the agent I already took care of accommodations and she said I can get reimbursed up to $49 if I send Customer Service the receipt. Is that true?

All in all I was more perturbed that an A320 was subbed for the 757. My Envoy seat became a very cramped domestic F seat. Then my rebooked morning flight was canceled and I'm waiting for the next one, which will depart 12 hours after my original arrival time into PHL. Today the delays are weather, but none of this would have happened if it weren't for the original mechanical delay. And I was downgraded to coach on the CLT-PHL leg, which I'm fine with as long as I get a partial refund since I was paid F.

I guess a well written, to the point, letter will be forthcoming.

Last edited by PHL; Jan 21, 2012 at 8:20 am
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by USFlyer26
Scored the Quality Inn over the summer from US. It was decently sketchy, and the room was barely tolerable. I'm glad I didn't have a black light to see what was really on the bed spread/sheets/walls/carpet. Didn't feel super safe, either.
Glad it worked out for you. If this is the Quality Inn on Queen City Dr. near Cracker Barrel you're lucky. You do not want to cross to the other side of the street as I said earlier I would avoid hotels on Queen City Dr. for safety reasons. As for those on Little Rock Rd. you should be ok.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Hyatt Place

I'm staying at the Hyatt Place on Tyvon which is about 8 minutes away. Very nice. I booked online for just $62 a night. They have a shuttle that runs from 4 AM - 1 AM from the airport; you have to call them for the shuttle.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
I got sent to the Quality Inn which was full and the shuttle driver dropped all of us off at the Red Roof. I believe this was Queen City Drive, it was right next to a Waffle House. I walked down to the Exxon for some water/snacks and it seemed like a very seedy area. Needless to say I didn't sleep at all that night and couldn't wait to get back to the airport!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by allseas1586
I got sent to the Quality Inn which was full and the shuttle driver dropped all of us off at the Red Roof. I believe this was Queen City Drive, it was right next to a Waffle House. I walked down to the Exxon for some water/snacks and it seemed like a very seedy area. Needless to say I didn't sleep at all that night and couldn't wait to get back to the airport!
I've never stayed at any of those hotels but imo you are better off at Econo Lodge or Red Roof than at Quality Inn. That area across the street from Quality is known for robberies from person & violent crime. At the others you should most likely be ok but I wouldn't do a lot of wandering after dark.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by allseas1586
That was definitely the one I stayed in, and most definitely slept with one eye open.

I didn't walk anywhere that night...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:07 pm
wfb

Programs: US, UA, Hilton Gold, ex-1K
I was put up at the Hilton Charlotte Executive Park. Waited 30 minutes at the airport for the shuttle. Ride to hotel seemed like 20+ minutes with no traffic. Although google maps says trip from airport should be 8 miles, within 12 minutes.

No Hilton points were given for the stay. Not even for my bar tab. Had to call Hilton to get points for incidentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.