Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade On An Award Ticket? [on US Airways]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Upgrade On An Award Ticket? [on US Airways]

Earlier this week I booked a coach award PHL-LAS (one way). I booked it Monday morning and ticketed it Tuesday morning, and traveled Tuesday afternoon. I got upgraded - I am AA Plat/US Gold.

I think I remember there was some way certain elites on US could elect a bonus that would allow award tix to be upgraded but that was definitely not me - I am Gold via an AA Plat challenge.

Was this just a weird glitch? Or expected?

Kind of would like to know, since if it's "normal" I'll definite book coach going home, which will be Saturday or Sunday.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: WFBF
In the old US Dividend Miles program, upgrades on domestic awards were a perk for reaching 85k PQM in a year. That benefit went away with the program merge earlier this year.

So there's no official policy, but it does happen occasionally for operational reasons.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:42 pm

Recently happened to me roundtrip PHX-SAN as US silver. Boarding in PHX I asked nicely if I was on the upgrade list while boarding, they told me to step aside and gave me a new boarding pass. On the way back when checking my flight on the app I noticed my seat was over to first; coach was sold out.

Doesn't hurt to ask nicely but don't expect anything. Still a pretty sweet feeling, especially when the redemption was 9000 BA Avios.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I was also recently upgraded on a last minute award Y ticket PHX-JFK. The flight was relatively empty. Not sure why I was upgraded, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I was also recently upgraded on a last minute award Y ticket PHX-JFK. The flight was relatively empty. Not sure why I was upgraded, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Was your award a saaver level or aanytime? Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rrgg
Was your award a saaver level or aanytime? Thanks.
It was a sAAver award.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:18 am

That's interesting. Thanks. I thought maybe you had an aanytime that showed up as Y and the upgrade happened by mistake.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
I have had it happen intermittently but it is far from regular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.