FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   APRIL 1, 2011 FC Improvements and Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1190027-april-1-2011-fc-improvements-changes.html)

DCAorBust Mar 3, 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 15969167)
Oh, and the FA's aren't supposed to give us the cans anymore, I suppose that's to make the switch to smaller capacity glasses even more inconvenient.

A lot of these are a matter of personal preference. For example, more often than not I would prefer not to have the can cluttering up the armrest. It's just one more thing for me to knock over with my papers or scramble to secure in rough air. All I really need is a frequently refreshed cup/glass. Of course, getting used to providing more frequent refreshing will be a challenge for some FAs, and may require call button repairs. Still I really can't get too upset about the can thing because I suspect that most FAs would provide the can upon request even after the policy change, which in effect means no change.

apeortdz Mar 3, 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by DCAorBust (Post 15969228)
...I suspect that most FAs would provide the can upon request even after the policy change...

This is what I am hoping for - please bring me two minis and a can of mixer. Thank you very much!

phllax Mar 3, 2011 1:42 pm

Some of this looks more like a return to pre-merger East service levels - especially the bread basket, the casserole entrees and lifter and the full lunch.

BoeingBoy Mar 3, 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 15969167)
Oh, and the FA's aren't supposed to give us the cans anymore, I suppose that's to make the switch to smaller capacity glasses even more inconvenient.

As well as the two mini's per serving with drinks mixed by the FA's. My suspicion is that except for the cost of the glassward, this is a cost neutral change. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but different snacks or meals don't automatically mean more expensive.

Jim

SS255 Mar 3, 2011 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 15969922)
As well as the two mini's per serving with drinks mixed by the FA's. My suspicion is that except for the cost of the glassward, this is a cost neutral change. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but different snacks or meals don't automatically mean more expensive.

Jim

Even if the improvements add to the cost, they will realize more in added paid F revenue than whatever it costs them to make the improvements. Maybe US is finally realizing that you have to spend money to make money.

CMK10 Mar 3, 2011 3:03 pm

Definitely good improvements. I might actually pay the fee to upgrade now if I end up on a flight with empty First Class seats ^

Beckles Mar 3, 2011 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 15970205)
Even if the improvements add to the cost, they will realize more in added paid F revenue than whatever it costs them to make the improvements. Maybe US is finally realizing that you have to spend money to make money.

With all due respect, I think you're dillusional if you think adding an appetizer to a meal and using glass instead of plastic is going to be what makes a customer choose US over another airline or acutally results in them purchasing FC over coach if they're flying US anyway.

dcpatti Mar 3, 2011 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 15970661)
With all due respect, I think you're dillusional if you think adding an appetizer to a meal and using glass instead of plastic is going to be what makes a customer choose US over another airline or acutally results in them purchasing FC over coach if they're flying US anyway.

I tend to agree. I know some people do make their decisions based on amenities like this, but US has such a bad reputation that I don't see JUST improved meal service or glassware erasing that. Over time, possibly. I still don't understand why US is so hated over what's in the grand scheme minor (no IFE, the failed attempts to charge for soda and water in Y) when other carriers are almost immediately forgiven for what I see in the grand scheme as major failures (CO not even putting people on hold any more during the first couple of snowstorms 2010/2011 but rather giving callers a message that they were not accepting incoming calls any more). Whatever the reason, US still has a long way to go to overcome its negative reputation. I think these changes are just a part of the overall process. I do appreciate them, and I don't doubt that SOME passengers will be more likely to pay for F on US because of them, but I don't think it's going to be a noticeable number for a long time.

mileshound Mar 3, 2011 4:08 pm

It may save them some $$ if I choose US over UA on an award ticket which I have not be inclined to do.

Still no IFE or power ports on trans-con flights. A big negative.

dcpatti Mar 3, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't mean to hijack the thread but can't resist. :D

I think within 5 years or so, IFE will be gone or on its way out on everything but International long-haul flights. The new technologies like iPads, tablets and netbooks are giving people a lot of choice in portable entertainment and as the market grows, the price comes down. HDTV's are a third of the price they were even a few years ago, and I'd expect the price of the first generation iPad to drop like a stone now that the second generation is out. iPhone 3's are selling brand new for $49 these days. More people are going to be bringing their own entertainment because it's so easy. Why be at the mercy of the programming gods when you can put 30 hours of video (or more) on a $49 iPhone that weighs a few ounces?

The way the personal entertainment market is going, I honestly don't ever expect to see IFE on US domestic ever again. Just a matter of time before the other legacies follow. Personally I don't miss it. After 2 transcons you've seen it already and it wasn't that good to begin with.

I would like to see the power ports brought back to life though.

uva185 Mar 3, 2011 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti (Post 15971019)

I think within 5 years or so, IFE will be gone or on its way out on everything but International long-haul flights. The new technologies like iPads, tablets and netbooks are giving people a lot of choice in portable entertainment and as the market grows, the price comes down. HDTV's are a third of the price they were even a few years ago, and I'd expect the price of the first generation iPad to drop like a stone now that the second generation is out. iPhone 3's are selling brand new for $49 these days. More people are going to be bringing their own entertainment because it's so easy. Why be at the mercy of the programming gods when you can put 30 hours of video (or more) on a $49 iPhone that weighs a few ounces?

The way the personal entertainment market is going, I honestly don't ever expect to see IFE on US domestic ever again. Just a matter of time before the other legacies follow. Personally I don't miss it. After 2 transcons you've seen it already and it wasn't that good to begin with.

The one thing I really miss is being able to see random movies I would have never watched otherwise. I've stumbled across some great movies from in-flight entertainment.

jtb226 Mar 3, 2011 6:03 pm

If they aren't going to put IFE back on flights, then I agree that power ports are definitely needed.

As for the rest of the changes in F, I think some are good and some not as much. On the few upgrades I've had, I really enjoyed being able to mix my own drink, but I also see the point of having one less thing to knock over.

All these changes definitely wouldn't make me pay for F though.

SS255 Mar 3, 2011 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti (Post 15971019)

You cannot download the moving map. :D

MrAndy1369 Mar 3, 2011 7:07 pm

Yep, but I think the white linens that were used would look much better, along with the doily that was used for rolls/bagels/etc. Also, bring down the 3.5 hour limit - all other carriers have 2+ hour caps for meals, so US should remain competitive and bring back the meal cutoff to 2 hours and above, not 3.5 hours.

If DL on MSP-PHX and vv offers a meal service, and US doesn't, then people will be more likely to purchase DL in F. It's simple arithmetic.

However, it IS positive seeing US make some good changes for a start.

Originally Posted by phllax (Post 15969891)
Some of this looks more like a return to pre-merger East service levels - especially the bread basket, the casserole entrees and lifter and the full lunch.

twa777 Mar 3, 2011 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 15971500)
You cannot download the moving map. :D

Actually... it wouldn't be too much of a technical challenge to include a small web server in the on-board Gogo hardware that would provide real-time flight information. You could then use your laptop, iPad, or phone to browse to a URL that gets re-directed to the on-board web server and from there you have a better moving map than you get on most any IFE system (as it could be interactive, letting you pick the view you want to see).

The next step could be a custom app Gogo app tied into Google Earth that would let you get a real-time 3D earth view showing where your plane is.

The only limitation would really be what the airline / FAA / TSA decides they don't want you to see.