FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1103160-new-us-promo-hop-skip-jump-higher-level-preferred-status.html)

GoodOmens Jul 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 14292967)
this might have already been covered, but would this scenario count as two (or three) of the new segments? BTR-CLT-MLB-CLT-TYS? it shows as BTR-MLB and MLB-TYS fares, but both obviously have connections in CLT. if i had to guess, i would say this wouldn't count for the CLT-BTR or CLT-MLB jumps?

That would be 4 hits: BTR-CLT (West, east, new route), CLT-MLB (new route).

It doesn't matter how you book it just as long as your flight includes the segment.

mrredskin Jul 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by GoodOmens (Post 14293152)
That would be 4 hits: BTR-CLT (West, east, new route), CLT-MLB (new route).

It doesn't matter how you book it just as long as your flight includes the segment.

well, i think the dividing line is roughly the MS river, so it would still only be 3, yes?

GoodOmens Jul 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 14293360)
well, i think the dividing line is roughly the MS river, so it would still only be 3, yes?

BTR is in the FAQ as a west city.

Also if you do MLB sign up for 1000 bonus miles.

mrredskin Jul 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by GoodOmens (Post 14293376)
BTR is in the FAQ as a west city.

Also if you do MLB sign up for 1000 bonus miles.

my mistake, thanks!

liwarren Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by alanh (Post 14292595)
It doesn't get you the 4th "jump" point, because you're not flying PHX-MBJ, you're flying PHX-MSP-CLT-MBJ. You have to fly the direct route (PHX-MBJ or MBJ-PHX) to get the new route point. That just scores the west, east, and Caribbean hops.

I can find NO direct flights in September from PHX-MBJ. What am I missing here? This jump will be impossible if they require direct flights for this new route.

alanh Jul 13, 2010 3:01 pm

PHX-MBJ is a seasonal route.

Originally Posted by alanh (Post 14284885)
PHX to MBJ (US 1619) operates Sat/Sun/Mon through 8/16; MBJ to PHX (US 1620) operates Fri/Sat/Sun through 8/15.

Bagette Jul 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Does anybody know when they post new e-saver fares? My fingers are crossed for a really good deal that will help us out in our quests for 4 points!

vivskivs Jul 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Need a little help!

I have read through pages and pages of comments and I am still not sure I understand this.

Flight outbound
DCA-CLT-SFO I think that is 2 hops(NA, east and NA, west)

what is my better option-- Can I get more hops if I return on one of these?
SFO-CLT-TLH
or
SFO-PHX-CLT-TLH

So do I just get 2 hops for all these flights or is there another way to add on?
Thanks

alanh Jul 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Hops are regions and each region only counts once, so if you go through east and west US, that's two hops. You have to leave the mainland US to get more.

You can get additional points via the skips (trips on the shuttle between DCA, LGA, and BOS), or the jumps (new routes).

GoodOmens Jul 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bagette (Post 14293969)
Does anybody know when they post new e-saver fares? My fingers are crossed for a really good deal that will help us out in our quests for 4 points!

Wednesday

OasisNYK Jul 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Ok - I am currently CP with 102 segments this year and approx 75k miles. What exactly does this do for me? I guess as of now I am platinum for next year - so if I hit the 4 hops skips or jumps do I go up to Chairman without having to fly the full 120 segments or qualifying miles?

formeraa Jul 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyzabit (Post 14260291)
Holy Guacamole! Time to fly!

Or, in the immortal words of Southwest, IT'S ON!!!!

GoodOmens Jul 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by OasisNYK (Post 14294328)
Ok - I am currently CP with 102 segments this year and approx 75k miles. What exactly does this do for me? I guess as of now I am platinum for next year - so if I hit the 4 hops skips or jumps do I go up to Chairman without having to fly the full 120 segments or qualifying miles?

Yes you would be chairman for next year and can concentrate status on a different airline if you choose.

johndeere19 Jul 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Cheapest 8 h/s/j segments in 1 week or less?

I wish I could get away with a week off to do this, but:
8/8 LGA-DCA-CLT (US) skip, na east
8/9 CLT-SJD (US) new route, central america
8/10 SJD-PVR (Mexicana) nadda
8/11 PVR-CLT-BTR (US) new route, new route, na west
8/12 BTR-CLT-MLB-CLT-EWR (US) new route
Total = $222 + 229 + 921 = $1,372 and 8 h/s/j segments (4 nights in hotel)

Can anyone beat this in time/flight cost?

johndeere19 Jul 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by johndeere19 (Post 14294815)
I wish I could get away with a week off to do this, but:
8/8 LGA-DCA-CLT (US) skip, na east
8/9 CLT-SJD (US) new route, central america
8/10 SJD-PVR (Mexicana) nadda
8/11 PVR-CLT-BTR (US) new route, new route, na west
8/12 BTR-CLT-MLB-CLT-EWR (US) new route
Total = $222 + 229 + 921 = $1,372 and 8 h/s/j segments (4 nights in hotel)

Can anyone beat this in time/flight cost?

Going from NYC for these...here's an interesting one:
8/10 amtrak to PBG ~$70
8/11 PBG-BOS-DCA-CLT-BTR-CLT na east, new, skip, new, na west
8/12 CLT-PHX-PVR central america
8/13 PVR-CLT-MLB-CLT-EWR new, new

Total = $535 + 585 + 70 = $1,190 and 8 h/s/j segments (3 nights)
8/14

edit: can you crash at night in PBG, CLT, or PVR?

CPRich Jul 13, 2010 6:11 pm

BOS-PBG and PBG-BOS has a 25-35 minute turnaround on both sets of dailt flights, and .bomb won't sell it too me due to the illegal connection. Any chance in the world that it's not the exact same plane if I book it as two tickets?

OasisNYK Jul 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Ah -I see it is limited to certain airports - blah

gottigotti Jul 13, 2010 8:31 pm

E Savers are up. Charlotte has an E Saver to Cabo (SJD). Anyone know if it is possible to do an out and back in one day?

liwarren Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm

I finally gave up and finally understand this plan. It is very costly for us midwesterners to try to put a plan together without spending a ton of money to get a hop, skip and a jump to get 4. I ended up talking with a supervisor today and she said that in order to receive a jump going to sjd or pvr it had to be the non stop flights. MBJ is seasonal so that is out. I decided to do the mci-clt-cun-clt-mci. That should give me 3. I guess the only thing left is to take a quick trip to Vegas before October. I for one am GLAD to have this figured out as it is quite a time consuming thing to put something together!

daterps Jul 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by gottigotti (Post 14295690)
E Savers are up. Charlotte has an E Saver to Cabo (SJD). Anyone know if it is possible to do an out and back in one day?

does anyone else not get e savers delivered by email any longer?

haven't received one in months and have checked email settings a few times (not in spam folder either)

itsme110 Jul 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by liwarren (Post 14295713)
I finally gave up and finally understand this plan. It is very costly for us midwesterners to try to put a plan together without spending a ton of money to get a hop, skip and a jump to get 4. I ended up talking with a supervisor today and she said that in order to receive a jump going to sjd or pvr it had to be the non stop flights. MBJ is seasonal so that is out. I decided to do the mci-clt-cun-clt-mci. That should give me 3. I guess the only thing left is to take a quick trip to Vegas before October. I for one am GLAD to have this figured out as it is quite a time consuming thing to put something together!

i´m looking at 4 points for about 500.00 a.i. from mci. is that what you were getting??

OasisNYK Jul 13, 2010 9:33 pm

I think this promo isn't that hot considering not all will qualify. Q2 was better with double miles. This one is far too limiting - none of the routes I fly on are included and i am not going out of my way to earn on this promotion. I could see doing it if you didn't have status but i am close to requalifying for next year already.

bluwater Jul 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bagette (Post 14293969)

ESavers seem like a joke to me. I wonder if something is wrong with the emails I get. Esavers used to be great!! Now, ESavers seem higher than what I would expect to pay on an average day simply by booking any ole' fare. Are others haveing good luck with ESavers? Maybe its just me.

scubaflyer Jul 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by bluwater (Post 14296130)
ESavers seem like a joke to me. I wonder if something is wrong with the emails I get. Esavers used to be great!! Now, ESavers seem higher than what I would expect to pay on an average day simply by booking any ole' fare. Are others haveing good luck with ESavers? Maybe its just me.

It's seems to be totally hit and miss as to whether the ESavers are any good or not. I would say the recent $99 ORD-PVR was a pretty good one, but they are usually no where near that good lately. I'd love to know the logic used (if any) on how the ESavers are priced. I agree that regular sale fares seem to often be better than the ESaver "deals".

ludocdoc Jul 13, 2010 9:55 pm

By the way, is it me or are these new US routes not loaded into ITA? It seems to ignore them when I try to map things out.

bluwater Jul 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by scubaflyer (Post 14296169)
It's seems to be totally hit and miss as to whether the ESavers are any good or not. I would say the recent $99 ORD-PVR was a pretty good one, but they are usually no where near that good lately. I'd love to know the logic used (if any) on how the ESavers are priced. I agree that regular sale fares seem to often be better than the ESaver "deals".

Dont want to get the topic off track, but I agree. Would love to know what's happening. What happened to my old $250 r/t PHL-CDG or $175 r/t PHL-SJU?:cool: Good ole' eSaver days!

Beckles Jul 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by liwarren (Post 14295713)

I don't think you do have it figured out, MCI-CLT-CUN-CLT-MCI plus a Vegas trip is 3 HSJ's, the Vegas trip gives you nothing new. MCI-PBG you can do in a weekend and get four HSJ's, just make sure to get a Shuttle Segment.

Originally Posted by OasisNYK (Post 14296055)
I think this promo isn't that hot considering not all will qualify. ... I could see doing it if you didn't have status but i am close to requalifying for next year already.

The "hotness" of this promotion is about being able to easily move up in status. Unless you're going to qualify for a higher status anyway, this promotion is quite lucrative for those who want to move up from their current status (or easily requalify for CP). In my case, a single trip to Mexico will secure me Gold status for 19 months, and I was not sure I would even make Silver again this year.

Originally Posted by bluwater (Post 14296130)

I booked MCI-PHX-PVR-CLT-ORD in the past week for $360 all-in on an ESaver ($250 before taxes), seemed like a good deal to me, and gets me 4 HSJ's.

ArizonaGuy Jul 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 14296312)
The "hotness" of this promotion is about being able to easily move up in status. Unless you're going to qualify for a higher status anyway, this promotion is quite lucrative for those who want to move up from their current status (or easily requalify for CP). In my case, a single trip to Mexico will secure me Gold status for 19 months, and I was not sure I would even make Silver again this year.

Ditto. Being in PHX I had to spend a bit more than you did to book a 4 hit trip but still worth it - I'm in the same boat as you. May not even hit silver the traditional way this year. Actually, absent this status run I would just go over 25K with a trip to the Chicago seminar in October.

I'm not giving up hope for some lucky e-savers between now and Oct 10 to get me another 4 somehow. Problem is September is almost completely out for me as the wife and I will be in Spain or Portugal for several weeks. Always the first two weeks of October to find last minute deals. A cheap MR to FCO would be awesome. :)

chewy3 Jul 14, 2010 12:02 am

1 long day to collect 5 points (east, west, shuttle, new-BTR, new-MLB)
$539 from BOS

1 US2021E 29JUL Q BOSDCA 600A 729A
2 US1851E 29JUL Q DCACLT 900A 1030A
3 US2580E 29JUL Q CLTMLB 1125A 100P
OPERATED BY US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-PSA AIRLINES
4 US2580K 29JUL Q MLBCLT 140P 324P
5 US2564K 29JUL Q CLTBTR 435P 547P
6 US2565K 29JUL Q BTRCLT 615P 917P
7 US1538K 29JUL Q CLTBOS 1015P 1214A 30JUL F

subtract the last two segments and it's only $340 for same number of points -- can possibly go BTR to somewhere else for additional points

mrredskin Jul 14, 2010 5:39 am

Originally Posted by ludocdoc (Post 14296178)
By the way, is it me or are these new US routes not loaded into ITA? It seems to ignore them when I try to map things out.

all work for me

mrredskin Jul 14, 2010 5:40 am

Originally Posted by scubaflyer (Post 14296169)

it's also summer, so fares are higher, but UA is the same way right now. everything seems reversed, tho, i.e. TYS-WAS-TYS would be cheaper on UA but on US it's WAS-TYS-WAS. :(

dingo Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am

(edited: I'd thought I had a plan worked out but it relied too heavily on the Shuttle flights).

I'm so glad that this promo came along and I can hopefully stop taking insane routings the entire year in the hopes of hitting CP again. I've read all of the thread up to this point and think I know what I need to do...but any help from other CLT based folks is appreciated.

I'm CP so I need 4 points/hits/whatever total. I have a trip planned to Denver so I think that count as two point: East to West, West to East. There doesn't seem to be any routing that would add more points for me.

Then I could throw in a quick trip to Baton Rouge; that gets me another point.

And then I'm stuck. I guess I'd probably look to do a Melbourne, Florida flight at some point for the final point.

I had been considering throwing away some time on my Denver trip to route CLT-SFO-PHX-DEN on the outbound and then something less stupid on the return. I wonder if I could spend the time piddling around on the east coast instead and do something like CLT-BOS (no point), BOS-DCA (1 point), DCA-CLT (no point), CLT-DEN (1 point) and then DEN-CLT (1 point) on the return. That gets me three of the four needed points in one trip that I have to make anyway...I just add a high level of risk and a lot more hours to it. Then I'd toss in a trip to Baton Rouge at a later date.

Any thoughts / tips? Any flaw in my counting of points?

For a day trip to Baton Rouge, is there any limit on how short my layover is? I can't imagine that there is but thought I'd toss it out there.

ArizonaGuy Jul 14, 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 14298612)
(edited: I'd thought I had a plan worked out but it relied too heavily on the Shuttle flights).

I'm so glad that this promo came along and I can hopefully stop taking insane routings the entire year in the hopes of hitting CP again. I've read all of the thread up to this point and think I know what I need to do...but any help from other CLT based folks is appreciated.

I'm CP so I need 4 points/hits/whatever total. I have a trip planned to Denver so I think that count as two point: East to West, West to East. There doesn't seem to be any routing that would add more points for me.

And then I'm stuck. I guess I'd probably look to do a Melbourne, Florida flight at some point for the final point.

I had been considering throwing away some time on my Denver trip to route CLT-SFO-PHX-DEN on the outbound and then something less stupid on the return. I wonder if I could spend the time piddling around on the east coast instead and do something like CLT-BOS (no point), BOS-DCA (1 point), DCA-CLT (no point), CLT-DEN (1 point) and then DEN-CLT (1 point) on the return. That gets me three of the four needed points in one trip that I have to make anyway...I just add a high level of risk and a lot more hours to it. Then I'd toss in a trip to Baton Rouge at a later date.

For a day trip to Baton Rouge, is there any limit on how short my layover is? I can't imagine that there is but thought I'd toss it out there.

I'm not certain you've quite got it down. It's not going from region A to region B. Any flight to, from or within a region counts that region. If you route CLT-SFO-PHX-DEN: It's the CLT-SFO segment getting you both east and west on a single flight. SFO-PHX-DEN is nothing, nor would a DEN-CLT. Once you've got the region crossed off, you can't cross it off again.

A shuttle flight in any direction and a new route in any direction will get you the other two points. Or you could take a shuttle and then a hop to BDA or NAS to cross off the Caribbean, and that would also get you the two hits.

TeleP Jul 14, 2010 10:24 am

Maybe CLT-DCA-BOS-PBG-BOS-CLT will work for you. (2 points)

beofotch Jul 14, 2010 10:27 am

if i buy a United Airlines ticket that is operated by US Airways (like CLT - DEN) - does this count as one of the hops?

ripvan Jul 14, 2010 10:32 am

(edited)

. . . . . .
I'm CP so I need 4 points/hits/whatever total.
. . . . . . .

dingo, i'm in the same position. got the 2 points with a trip out west next week, but need the other 2. was looking at taking a short vacation to FCO to pick up the 2, but now there is an e-saver to Cabo, $483ai, so may change gears and take mrs ripvan to the heat instead.

neotope Jul 14, 2010 11:02 am

Originally Posted by beofotch (Post 14298822)
if i buy a United Airlines ticket that is operated by US Airways (like CLT - DEN) - does this count as one of the hops?

As long as you use your US FF it should. You are eligible for upgrades so I don't see why this promo would not apply.

daterps Jul 14, 2010 11:16 am

Originally Posted by neotope (Post 14299020)
As long as you use your US FF it should. You are eligible for upgrades so I don't see why this promo would not apply.

the promo doesn't apply to flights not operated by USAirways, Shuttle or regional carriers

dingo Jul 14, 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy (Post 14298790)
I'm not certain you've quite got it down. It's not going from region A to region B. Any flight to, from or within a region counts that region. If you route CLT-SFO-PHX-DEN: It's the CLT-SFO segment getting you both east and west on a single flight. SFO-PHX-DEN is nothing, nor would a DEN-CLT. Once you've got the region crossed off, you can't cross it off again.

A shuttle flight in any direction and a new route in any direction will get you the other two points. Or you could take a shuttle and then a hop to BDA or NAS to cross off the Caribbean, and that would also get you the two hits.

Gotcha; thanks AG. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and do my CLT - DEN, CLT - Baton Rouge and probably CLT - Melbourne. I can knock them all out quickly and not have to spend the rest of the year chasing miles or hoping for promos to get me over the hump.

ludocdoc Jul 14, 2010 11:40 am

Originally Posted by TeleP (Post 14298803)
Maybe CLT-DCA-BOS-PBG-BOS-CLT will work for you. (2 points)

In a sense, I'm not counting east and west regions as points when I consider a MR for this promo -- I will get those regions during my routine, scheduled flying, and I bet most of us do the same for at least either east or west if not both. If you plan to fly US in the USA between now and October, you get one point miimum for getting on a plane. So I think counting US region is "cheating" when considering efficiency of a MR. My 2 cents.

With that said, the way most in the threat are calculating it, the above routing is three points not two. One for shuttle, one for PBG, one for east region.