Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early to check in at AUA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I will be flying AUA-CLT on Tuesday at 3:25pm. How early do you think I really need to check in?

There is US Immigration & Customs pre-clearance in AUA. Is there an First check-in line and/or First security line?

I presume a Tuesday in AUA won't be too bust but I also don't want to miss my flight.

Thanks!!

Last edited by uva185; Mar 7, 2010 at 5:01 pm
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
I can't say what a Tuesday looks like in AUA, but I can tell you that there is a first class / preferred check in line. I have always flown out of there on a Saturday and I can tell you that the preferred line was a huge advantage.

Once you get past check in there was no preferred lines that I have ever seen. Very long lines all the way through, but they did move pretty well. Again, I was only there on Saturdays so your experience may vary.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Agreed. Been there three times now, and each time the preferred line gets you in front of everyone else at check-in, but after that you are in with the rest of the crowd. It can easily take an hour, and sometimes more, to get through customs and security post-checkin.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:00 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
On a similar topic, I'll be going to AUA in April(flying F). Is there a lounge at AUA premium passengers can use?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:16 pm

No lounge.

Uva185, unless you have stuff you want to purchase at the airport, I'd arrive 2 hours prior to. The US flight to CLT is one of the last flights back to the States, so the pre-clearance will have no lines and no waiting.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
No lounge.

Uva185, unless you have stuff you want to purchase at the airport, I'd arrive 2 hours prior to. The US flight to CLT is one of the last flights back to the States, so the pre-clearance will have no lines and no waiting.

-Kinglobjaw
Think 90 minutes would be enough? I'm trying to soak up as much sun as possible.

On a side note I don't think missing my flight would be all that terrible.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uva185
Think 90 minutes would be enough? I'm trying to soak up as much sun as possible.

On a side note I don't think missing my flight would be all that terrible.
On a Tuesday, and with FC line, 90 minutes MIGHT be enough. That's assuming no issues. Traveling on Fridays with FC line access, I've made it all the way through in as little as 40 minutes but also had it take 90 minutes.

Also bear in mind that they board flights earlier from AUA than is typical in the states - often 45-60 minutes before the posted departure time.

I think (and I am generally pretty happy to cut things close) that 2 hours is prudent, but YMMV.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I'm inclined to go with 2 hours, but that's just me.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up getting there 90 minutes in advance and cleared everything in 30 minutes ^

Sitting at the bar enjoying one last Balashi before departure
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:44 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up getting there 90 minutes in advance and cleared everything in 30 minutes ^

3 pm flight on Wednesday back to PHL with baby. I'm thinking 3 hours just so I don't stress.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP

Very nice, sir. I remember having one last Balashi when I passed through security...I miss that stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.