Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic Diversions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Transatlantic Diversions

Noticed there have been 2 transatlantic flights to PHL diverted in the past week. A few days ago, the DUB flight was diverted to Bangor and today's flight from MAN has been diverted to Boston.

Anyone know the reasons?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I had a flight last summer from ATH-PHL. We were told because the flight was so full (and the plane weight was high) we had to stop in Bangor for refueling before continuing on to PHL. No one was allowed off the plane at Bangor. Would be a pity if that was your final destination but you can understand why - immigration, etc.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I had a flight last summer from ATH-PHL. We were told because the flight was so full (and the plane weight was high) we had to stop in Bangor for refueling before continuing on to PHL. No one was allowed off the plane at Bangor. Would be a pity if that was your final destination but you can understand why - immigration, etc.
MAN-PHL should be a chipshot for a A330. Perhaps medical diversion or "unknown" threat issue.

My CLT-SJU flight had an in-flight medical with the FAs summoning any medical personnel to the Y class section. Apparently, a RN and a MD were both on board. Turned out to be nothing more than a very nervous Kettle who had not flown in a lot of years.

I have no idea where we would have diverted to had it been serious. We were probably 500 miles east of the Florida coast. Perhaps NAS?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by mco66
Noticed there have been 2 transatlantic flights to PHL diverted in the past week. A few days ago, the DUB flight was diverted to Bangor and today's flight from MAN has been diverted to Boston.

Anyone know the reasons?
See below - http://www.canadaeast.com/rss/article/992743

GANDER, N.L. - An American man has been fined almost $30,000 in a Newfoundland court for an incident of air rage last week.

Charles Dalton, 40, of California was arrested after a flight bound for Dublin from Philadelphia was diverted to Gander early Thursday. Dalton pleaded guilty in a Gander court Monday to counts of assault and mischief.

The RCMP said Dalton was also sentenced to five days in jail but was given credit for time served.

Two additional charges of assault were dropped.

As part of the fine, Dalton was ordered to pay $14,000 to U.S. Airways and $5,000 to Allied Aviation.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Good for the Canadian court system! ^
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
So UsAirways got some money and Allied Aviation got money, what about the passengers that had to put up with the behavior and the inconvenience?

They probably deserve $500-1,000 each.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by richinaz
So UsAirways got some money and Allied Aviation got money, what about the passengers that had to put up with the behavior and the inconvenience?

They probably deserve $500-1,000 each.

You really think your time is worth that much based on a scenario that is out of your control? File a claim against the guy in court and watch yourself get laughed out of the building.

Life happens. Sometimes things don't go perfectly. That doesn't mean you're entitled to money.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by sbm12

You really think your time is worth that much based on a scenario that is out of your control? File a claim against the guy in court and watch yourself get laughed out of the building.

Life happens. Sometimes things don't go perfectly. That doesn't mean you're entitled to money.
Considering the rate I charge clients, I'd say that the figure from sbm12 is in the ballpark...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.