Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs US in transatlantic business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA vs US in transatlantic business class

Looks like for the same dollars, I can fly from WAS to Italy and back with Z tickets on US in a 333 in the front row (the seats are empty, and available), or on UA on a 777 in C class. This would be in Feb.

Will US still be around?

Will UA still be around?

Which would you choose today,and predict would have better service, food, etc. in Feb, given the current environment?

Could also go on AF or AZ whatever they call business class for same dollars, but have not done much with SkyTeam.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 3:54 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
Originally Posted by slawecki
Looks like for the same dollars, I can fly from WAS to Italy and back with Z tickets on US in a 333 in the front row (the seats are empty, and available), or on UA on a 777 in C class. This would be in Feb.

Will US still be around?

Will UA still be around?

Which would you choose today,and predict would have better service, food, etc. in Feb, given the current environment?

Could also go on AF or AZ whatever they call business class for same dollars, but have not done much with SkyTeam.
UA will be around. Nobody knows about US.

I've flown both......UA has a true 3 class service, which is head and shoulders above US envoy. However I do like row 1 in the A330 on US........it's just a matter of the amentities and service provide by UA that would put me in C on UA versus Envoy on US.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Where do you want to earn miles? If *A, then it's UA or US.

Also, I don't think UA fly to Italy anymore. If this is correct, then you would have to connect, probably at LHR or FRA.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 5:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
personally i would rather have row 1 on the 330 than C on UA...

synd
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:29 am

The last time I flew US Envoy PHL-CDG, I was VERY disappointed in the service--especially the food, which was crap. If it's an option for you, I might take US to Europe to get a good night of sleep in Row 1, and then take UA back from Europe to enjoy better in-flight service and a still-comfy seat.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

why I like Envoy better than UA C or AF J. (sorry that's all i can base my comparison uppon)

1) Row 1 - for me this is the best part, I don't mind doing SFO-PHL-CDG instead of a direct SFO-CDG, just to be able to sleep, even on the return, those couple hours of sleep i get really confortably makes all the difference in the world IMO! Much less jetLag!
You guys might shoot me for this, but just for sleeping I find it more comfortable in Row1 than in UA F. Why? because in UA F I touch the end of the footrest and i hate that! also my favorite sleeping position is with my legs slighty higher up than my butt and my head also, kind of like a low angled V. and i can't do that in UA F...
But then of course I am not saying I like Row1 better than UA F... just for sleeping

2) IFE - honestly UA IFE sucks, from the small personal screens to the non AVOD of UA. The only downside is that US doesn't change their movies too often.. last year when i did one R/T every month between SFO-CDG (for 6 months) I really felt like most of the movie choices were the same for at least 2 months.

3) Recline in Regular Envoy -- the few times (2) I was not in Row 1 I found that UA C seats recline less than Envoy seats. not by much though

------ On the other hand reasons why I like UA C:
1) Food and Service is better, even though most of the FA's in US i have been with are great, and are all over me, (maybe because I look like i'm 16-17 )

2) Direct Flight between SFO-CDG lol! not having to seat in US F especially on the return trip for a couple hours is great. on the way over it's fine since you're going from worst to a better product

--- Why I like and not Like AF (old) J:

PROS:

1) MUCH BETTER FOOD
2) French speaking Flight Attendants
3) seat width and comfortable to sit in.
4) Bars on 777

CONS:

1) seat recline sucks
2) Rude Personel at CDG even for french speaking

--- Summary:

Well I guess for me what I value most is sleep then IFE. Food and Beverages are nice but still for me not the most important when I travel. That's why I would rather take US Envoy than UA C.

sorry i know this was a long post!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat., DL/AA/BA
In terms of UA vs US, have to say that the seat and in on demand in flight entertainment in Envoy (A330) beats UA.

UA seat needs to be adjusted manually and the IFE is on a cycle.

Food and amenities are probably a little superior in UA (you still get a kit) although it seems that UA has also scaled this back a little also.

The 777 seems a little noiser than a 330, it also seems a little romier, but there is a center seat in business. From what I remember UA's 747 also have a center seat in business downstairs. I think however US's 747's typically go to Aisa with 777 and 767 serving the transatlantic routes.

Would imagine that a UA 767 is far superior to the US 767, but have no direct experience of this.

Last edited by shuttle_boy; Dec 6, 2004 at 7:24 am
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

shuttle_boy you're right, if we're talking about US 767 in C vs any UA in C, i'll definitively go UA!

synd
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by shuttle_boy
In terms of UA vs US, have to say that the seat and in on demand in flight entertainment in Envoy (A330) beats UA.
Agreed. It's not even close.

Food and amenities are probably a little superior in UA (you still get a kit) although it seems that UA has also scaled this back a little also.

The 777 seems a little noiser than a 330, it also seems a little romier, but there is a center seat in business. From what I remember UA's 747 also have a center seat in business downstairs. I think however US's 747's typically go to Aisa with 777 and 767 serving the transatlantic routes.
This is generally true, but they've got a 747-400 on one IAD-LHR and one IAD-FRA run at the moment.

UA's 747's are 2-3-2 across in C on the lower deck and 2-2 on the upper deck.

Would imagine that a UA 767 is far superior to the US 767, but have no direct experience of this.
They are. UA's 767-300ER's are quite nice up front and are in better shape than US's 767-200ER's. They're used on a lot of transatlantic runs that don't support the size of a 777-200, such as IAD-ZRH. I wouldn't hesitate to take one.

If going to Italy (presumably FCO), I'd go for the US 333 first, with a connection from UA or US to Lufthansa through FRA as the backup option. LH also has a 747 on IAD-FRA that is a UA codeshare (if needed for corporate travel policy compliance), so that's a third option across the pond.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by phlwookie
UA's 747's are 2-3-2 across in C on the lower deck and 2-2 on the upper deck.
As noted, UA C has 3 across on main deck of 747 and all of 777. But these planes feel much more spacious than the 330, IMHO. While one would generally not choose the middle seat, it isn't all that bad, especially in rows 25 & 26 on the 747 and 8 & 9 on the 777.

Originally Posted by phlwookie
LH also has a 747 on IAD-FRA that is a UA codeshare (if needed for corporate travel policy compliance), so that's a third option across the pond.
Avoid LH C on 747's until they upgrade them to new C. It is a very inferior product. Seats only have 48" pitch, limited IFE (like UA ) Only take this as an alternative to Y.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by 1kBill
As noted, UA C has 3 across on main deck of 747 and all of 777. But these planes feel much more spacious than the 330, IMHO. While one would generally not choose the middle seat, it isn't all that bad, especially in rows 25 & 26 on the 747 and 8 & 9 on the 777.
I would always go for the upper deck on the 747, including on UA's. Quieter and nice up there.

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Avoid LH C on 747's until they upgrade them to new C. It is a very inferior product. Seats only have 48" pitch, limited IFE (like UA ) Only take this as an alternative to Y.
Ah yes, thanks for this reminder. Good thing I listed it as the third option My experiences with LH service and food are generally positive though, in both C and Y.

One other thing I would say: go for FRA or MUC for connections to Italy if you don't go on US. Much as I like the Brits and their country, I loathe LHR regardless of whether it's my point of origin, destination, or if I'm connecting.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:36 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The service on both carriers just depends on the crew.

The food and drinks on both carriers are ABOUT the same. But who expects great food on a plane? And I finally learned that drinking much on planes really drains my energy and keeps me from sleeping in-flight.

I find UA's C seats to be much more comfortable to US's C A330 seats. I just can't begin to sleep sideways on US. And I keep getting "pins and needles" in my legs and hips in the US C A330 seats. This is VERY bad for DVT risk.

BUT...

US's A330's row 1 is FAR superior to UA's C. If you can actually confirm row 1 now, well that makes things quite different.

BUT...

I certainly believe that despite the union concessions, US still has some very negative cashflow nightmares thanks to a lot of problems, including Southwast at PHL! And negative cashflow will kill them with so little cash reserves. And this is the very worst season for airline cashflow that US is entering into right now!

SO...

Although some think that US will survive, I really think that the likelyhood of US flying in February is 50/50. This is despite my genuine fondness for US.

Good luck with this tough decision.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
I must say that as pointed out above the US frequency of new movies is absolutely appauling. One new movies in two months and two in three months is ridiculous, I have virtually nothing to watch.

UA however change nearly 80% of them every month it appears and although not on demand and as flexible I would rather have more more to watch that a few.

Otherwise Row 1 is good for sleeping but I found it bloody uncomfortable to sit in and read and watch TV as the headrest is not that adjustable and the seat back very straight. Service on US though is excellent.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Scotland
I must say that as pointed out above the US frequency of new movies is absolutely appauling. One new movies in two months and two in three months is ridiculous, I have virtually nothing to watch.

UA however change nearly 80% of them every month it appears and although not on demand and as flexible I would rather have more more to watch that a few.

Otherwise Row 1 is good for sleeping but I found it bloody uncomfortable to sit in and read and watch TV as the headrest is not that adjustable and the seat back very straight. Service on US though is excellent.
I concur! Row 1 is great for sleeping but I always try to get row 3 on the return. The former FC cabin, where Row 1 resides on the 330, can be stuffy and also dark. I agree the seats are not the most comfortable for sitting up, getting work done, etc. But they rock for sleeping!!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:12 pm

Two comments:

US is now giving out kits again...at least they did on my last flight from PHL to LGW (but not on the return).

The IFE is only as good as the content on it. Since US now adds about ONE new movie per month, it doesn't take too many flights to have seen the entire frickin' catalog of films.....even if I did want to see "Thirteen Going on Thirty" (again).....

I saw that on a flight from Rome in August...it is now December and is still on the IFE ????

Puh-lease.

jas3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.