Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I be annoyed at this?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Should I be annoyed at this?

Flying LAX-PHL yesterday, decided to standby for a later flight. While in the club (25 mins before flight time), the US rep notified me that I had been upgraded, but they could not serve me a meal becuase I was not originally on that flight. So when the FA came around to take food orders, he just asked me whether I wanted anything beyond my bottle of water to drink. I asked him whether I could be given a coach meal for free or something...I was quite hungry (and didn't have enough time to grab something in the terminal). He replied "I'll see what's left." After serving everyone else, he offered me a half-filled coffee cup containing some kind of soup (some meal). I told him this wouldn't fly and I requested one of the coach meals as a replacement. He said he could not give me one, but would sell it to me for $10.

This seemed rather outrageous to me. It shouldn't matter how you end up in first class; everyone should be treated equally. Furthermore, when they screw up, they should try to accomodate...and three ounces of leftover soup doesn't count. Shouldn't they have just given me a coach meal for free to make up for the mistake? Or am I annoyed at something insignificant?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:55 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
In years past, I would say that this would be outrageous. Now however, I would say that US is just being cost conscience. I know that it seems "cheap", but apparently they are looking to save money any way that they can. To be honest, ten bucks for any on-board food seems high as well. Should it not at least be subsidized to make it more appealing? How about 5 bucks? Back to your point, I imagine that an e-mail or letter to customer service will net you something in return. I think that the toughest part of all of this is how to make yourself look like SWA or JetBlue without "looking" like SWA or JetBlue. Rather, US's challenge and others like them is to keep costs low while offering something that the discounters don't: First Class Seating, a meal, etc. I don't think that this will get any better, since apparently, US does not even use glassware in first. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by jms8090 (edited 09-21-2003).]
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:09 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
It's nothing personal, just the way the place is run. First you cut everything but the toilet paper. Then you tell the help they are losing jobs and taking pay cuts because customers (especially those on upgrades) don't spend enough. That kind of makes some of them enjoy seeing you not get fed. Lastly, when your losses continue, the next time you report, you tell the financial community it was weather related, as opposed to a main hub where nothing runs on time, the personnel require subtitles to be understood, the planes are designed for midgets, and the bags disappear faster than first class seats.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
This has always happened, both before and after Chapter 11. They typically stock the F cabin for the anticipated load. If loads are looking light, they don't stock as much food.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:22 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Not stocking a transcon with a full compliment of F meals is just plain stupid. Not giving our gentle poster a coach meal without giving up $10 is like adding insult to injury.

Send this one off to consumer affairs and Deb Thompson. Maybe you will make the "your fault" column next month.

The scary part about this is that it could have been somebody on an A4COACH or full-Y or even (god forbid) full-F fare that purchased late and now they don't get fed. Brilliant.

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
Not stocking a transcon with a full compliment of F meals is just plain stupid. Not giving our gentle poster a coach meal without giving up $10 is like adding insult to injury.

Send this one off to consumer affairs and Deb Thompson. Maybe you will make the "your fault" column next month.

The scary part about this is that it could have been somebody on an A4COACH or full-Y or even (god forbid) full-F fare that purchased late and now they don't get fed. Brilliant.

</font>
You shouldnt be annoyed, you should be angry. I understand them mot having a first meal if you were added to the manifest at the last minute. Not giving you a coach meal for free is inexcuseable in my opinion. Not necessarily blaming the FA, it might be US policy but it shouldnt be. Giving a free coach meal is an easy way to deal with the first meal problem they sometimes get due to last minute changes.

Old Sep 21, 2003, 2:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Epsilon359:
Flying LAX-PHL yesterday, decided to standby for a later flight.</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> While in the club (25 mins before flight time), the US rep notified me that I had been upgraded, but they could not serve me a meal becuase I was not originally on that flight.
</font>
They told you in advance they could not serve you a meal ... was coach full ... I'm sure they would have put you in coach if you had wanted, then you'd have nothing to complain about.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Sorry Beckles, I really disagree. I think not having a first class meal is somewhat understandable. Not giving a free coach one is not in my opinion. I have been upgraded plenty of times at the last minute on AA and especially on UA. This has never been an issue. They really should provide all first class passengers a meal on transcons. This is the kind of thing that makes me think, as much as I like some aspects of US, that it is a "toy" airline compared to AA or UA.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I also had an experience like this, although slightly different. A few weeks ago I was flying first class PIT-SFO in row 5. My upgrade was confirmed at the seven day window. There were four non-revs in first, including the person sitting next to me. As I was approached for my dinner selection, I was told that they were out of meals (the non-rev next to me was asked before me and she got a meal) I was offered a free coach meal. After waiting for 30 minutes, I asked where my meal was and was told that coach had sold out of their meals and nothing was available and she brought me the snack basket and told me to take as much as I wanted and was very apologetic. I also had some food with me so I didn't starve, but I wasn't happy. But then again, I am a cockroach.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 4:16 pm

Location: New Berlin, WI USA - DL Platinum Elite - Marriott Platinum Premier
I agree with the idea that a coach meal should have been given to the F passenger...regardless of how/when you are upgraded, the class of First service should not be degraded.

In addition, it annoys the hell out of me when I am the last row of first and by the time the FA gets to me there is either only one choice or no choice of meals remaining. I understand the logic of starting at the front of first and moving to the back of the cabin asking what people want...but when a full fare first...full fare coach upgraded...or a US1 is denied a meal of his/her choice it's asinine. Those people should have a choice of meal before Gold, Silver or oversold bumped first passengers. I generally get an attitude when I say "I really wanted the sandwich...can I have one from coach?" However, I don't think that it is unreasonable...with over 130K miles so far...not all cockroach (but most) fares...I should get a choice of meal...not have to suffer just because I am in the last row of First.

My $.02

The Dawg
Old Sep 21, 2003, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Clue, not that it matters, but are we sure Ms. Thompson is still around?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnomie:
I also had an experience like this, although slightly different. A few weeks ago I was flying first class PIT-SFO in row 5. My upgrade was confirmed at the seven day window. There were four non-revs in first, including the person sitting next to me. As I was approached for my dinner selection, I was told that they were out of meals (the non-rev next to me was asked before me and she got a meal) I was offered a free coach meal. After waiting for 30 minutes, I asked where my meal was and was told that coach had sold out of their meals and nothing was available and she brought me the snack basket and told me to take as much as I wanted and was very apologetic. I also had some food with me so I didn't starve, but I wasn't happy. But then again, I am a cockroach.</font>
You should report this incident to Consumer Affairs. We must eliminate these "bad apple" employees before they spread across the US Airways system.

------------------
Protect your right to privacy - Don't fly Delta Air Lines
Old Sep 21, 2003, 7:46 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
Clue, not that it matters, but are we sure Ms. Thompson is still around?</font>
Her smiling mug still graces the self-serving BS column in this month's Attache, so I'm assuming she is.

I credit the "Your Fault" parody to Tom B, whom I believe originated the term.

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:03 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
I was upgraded on a 757 from PIT - Orlando last week. I listened to the Einstein offering to the coach pax (at $10 per box), "turkey sandwich and caesar salad".

The FA came around and plopped down a plastic bag with a tuna sandwich in front of me. I asked what the selection was, he told me that this was all they had......I told him to take it away.

After serving the coach cabin, he came back with an Einstein sandwich box to offer to me. I didn't take it, but assume that it was for free.

Evidently the food in the front cabin is different than what they're selling in coach. Maybe the stuff in coach is better?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:49 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GadgetFreak:
Sorry Beckles, I really disagree. I think not having a first class meal is somewhat understandable. Not giving a free coach one is not in my opinion. I have been upgraded plenty of times at the last minute on AA and especially on UA. This has never been an issue. They really should provide all first class passengers a meal on transcons. This is the kind of thing that makes me think, as much as I like some aspects of US, that it is a "toy" airline compared to AA or UA.</font>
The problem is with the new Inflight Cafe US does not own the coach meals, SkyChefs does, so they're not US' to give away. I'm sure they have to be accounted for and the meals or money returned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.