Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Transfers [GS 2011 master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
First of all, booking period ended on the last day of August.

Second, did you inform them that you will record the phone call? No? ---> You did an illegal phone call @:-)
In some places, as long as one of the folks being recorded is aware, then it is perfectly legal. So since the person DOING the recording knew it was recording, no problems. YMMV
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:34 am

No, Staples has their own rewards card that earns rebates (ie, $2 for each recycled ink cartridge) that you can use to offset your bill. So if you spend $20, but use $5 of Staples Rewards to pay for it, you only get miles/hotel points for the $15 you paid.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Hyatt Idea

Kicking around this idea (and didn't notice it in the thread) - please let me know if there's any problems with the logic.

Sign up for the Hyatt fall promo (i.e., 3 stays --> 5000 bonus points). Each stay earns 500 Dividend miles and the 3 should earn 5000 points which is enough for a transfer. Supposedly, the bonus points accrue even if the Hyatt member's earning preference is set to miles. So 3 stays -> 3 hits and the transfer -> 1 hit.

Hyatt stays may be a little more expensive (I found local for about 58$), but seems like it may be worth it to get more base miles and the transfer.

Any problems with this? Is it likely that the bonus points won't post until after GS is over?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Easy 9000 points from Carlson

9000 Carlson points from Avis for 3 day rental, valid at locations worldwide. Details, coupon code, and booking form at Avis website:
Carlson Avis promotion
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by Mehdron
9000 Carlson points from Avis for 3 day rental, valid at locations worldwide. Details, coupon code, and booking form at Avis website:
Carlson Avis promotion
Yes, 9000 points but if you chose points you won't get a rental hit because no US miles @:-)
Old Sep 7, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jmk2135
Kicking around this idea (and didn't notice it in the thread) - please let me know if there's any problems with the logic.

Sign up for the Hyatt fall promo (i.e., 3 stays --> 5000 bonus points). Each stay earns 500 Dividend miles and the 3 should earn 5000 points which is enough for a transfer. Supposedly, the bonus points accrue even if the Hyatt member's earning preference is set to miles. So 3 stays -> 3 hits and the transfer -> 1 hit.

Hyatt stays may be a little more expensive (I found local for about 58$), but seems like it may be worth it to get more base miles and the transfer.

Any problems with this? Is it likely that the bonus points won't post until after GS is over?
IME, when Hyatt has a promo like this, the bonus points post shortly after, or with, the final qualifying stay: You will see stay 1 post, then stay 2, then stay 3 and the 5,000. So, depending upon your stay pattern, it might be a great strategy. And, yes, one of the beauties of Hyatt's GP program (unlike some others) is that choosing miles over points does not negate stay credits, progress towards status or bonus points offers.
Of course, it goes without saying that YMMV.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Am I the only one struggling with the idea of doing hotel transfers to generate hits? These can be expensive hits.

Using the rates from the OP. My value are 1.75 cpm for US Airways, based on my usual use for them to redeem R/T's to Canada on routes that would be expensive from my origin. My values for each hotel currency are based upon my normal use for each - either a recent redemption or a reservation I'm currently holding, always benchmarked against what I'd realistically spend for a hotel in that situation if I didn't have hotel points. In general, I'm conservative on these...erring downward slightly to account for the time-value of money.

HH. My value: 1 cpp. 10,000 HH for 850 US -> My cost for the hit: $85.
Hyatt: My value: 2 cpp. 5,000 HY for 2,000 US -> My cost for the hit: $65
Marriott: My value: 1.6 cpp. 10,000 MR for 2,000 US -> My cost for the hit: $125(!)
SPG: My value: 4 cpp. 850 SPG for 850 US -> My cost for the hit: $19
Priority Club: My value: 0.75 cpp. 10,000 PC for 2,000 US -> My cost for the hit: $37

I'll probably pull the trigger on SPG and Priority Club immediately. Beyond that, I'm going to wait and see a bit. I always knew that burning hotel points for air miles was a bad proposition (until you hit Marriott Travel Package levels) but I don't think I was aware of quite how bad it really was.

My valuations are independent of *how* I get the points: they're based on how I use them. (Yes, I realize that the hotel chains will all sell me a small amount of points for less than I can actually redeem them for. Smart business on their part from a cashflow perspective, but it doesn't really change my math.)

Last edited by pinniped; Sep 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Am I the only one struggling with the idea of doing hotel transfers to generate hits?
Nope -- see post 19, where I sort of said the same thing, although I think you do a good job of quantifying it.

I view hotel some of the hotel transfers as my last choice hits. There are different ways to value each "hit." I start to look at hotel transfers at the very end. If you're stuck on 31 hits, and you need one more hit to get to the next 20k mile tier, you sort of need to do what you need to do to get there. If I'm in that position and a hotel transfer that I value at $80 is the cheapest one left on the board, I guess I'll go ahead and do it. But I pick all the low hanging and medium hanging fruit before I consider hotel transfers.

I kind of agree with your way of looking at it. Some people will say, "hey, Avis is having a promo where you get 9,000 club carlson easily, so that's an easy hit." To me, that's the wrong way to look at it. Once you get the 9k carlson, however you got them, you still have to ask whether they are worth transferring for a USAirways hit. Their value doesn't change just because you get them pursuant to a really cool promo. If you value club carlson at 1 cpp, it's an $80 hit to transfer 8,000.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:37 pm

Please stop making so much sense and particularly stop making it persuasively, pinniped and lkar. Now I have to reexamine my approach. I was planning on hotel transfers right away because they don't require cash outlay, but you're right, they require considerable value outlay. Lasik, you are missed.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Yes, 9000 points but if you chose points you won't get a rental hit because no US miles @:-)
Indeed, but potentially useful if you've already got your six rental hits, or could use a spare 1000 Carlson points.
I agree that hotel point transfers are very expensive. I try to focus my business on Hilton and will not transfer those points to USAir. However, I've got just a bit over 10,000 PC points which I have accumulated without any hotel stays (contests and E-Rewards and so forth). The balance is good for one night in a Holiday Inn Express but it would be a while before I got enough points for a higher end hotel. So that's an easier point balance for me to part with.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Cool. Glad I'm not going insane. I'm fairly certain that I'll reach at least the middle tiers where a $19 and a $37 hit are worth it, so I'll initiate those next week.

I'm guessing those will be my only two transfers unless I get all the way to the top end and have milked all of the 1-point partners pretty dry. If a $65 hit has to be, say, my 32nd hit...so be it...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Exclamation La Quinta

La Quinta

Is a partner for hotel stay hits
but
is NOT a partner for hotel point transfer hits

Earn 1 hit when you convert hotel points from a hotel partner into Dividend Miles (max 1 hit per hotel partner). There are 9 hotel partners: Best Western Rewards, Choice Privileges, Hilton HHonors, Hyatt Gold Passport, InterContinental Hotel Group (Priority Club), Marriott Rewards, Radisson (Club Carlson), Starwood Hotels (SPG) and Wyndham Rewards.
Source
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Am I the only one struggling with the idea of doing hotel transfers to generate hits? These can be expensive hits.

Using the rates from the OP. My value are 1.75 cpm for US Airways, based on my usual use for them to redeem R/T's to Canada on routes that would be expensive from my origin. My values for each hotel currency are based upon my normal use for each - either a recent redemption or a reservation I'm currently holding, always benchmarked against what I'd realistically spend for a hotel in that situation if I didn't have hotel points. In general, I'm conservative on these...erring downward slightly to account for the time-value of money.

HH. My value: 1 cpp. 10,000 HH for 850 US -> My cost for the hit: $85.
Hyatt: My value: 2 cpp. 5,000 HY for 2,000 US -> My cost for the hit: $65
Marriott: My value: 1.6 cpp. 10,000 MR for 2,000 US -> My cost for the hit: $125(!)
SPG: My value: 4 cpp. 850 SPG for 850 US -> My cost for the hit: $19
Priority Club: My value: 0.75 cpp. 10,000 PC for 2,000 US -> My cost for the hit: $37

I'll probably pull the trigger on SPG and Priority Club immediately. Beyond that, I'm going to wait and see a bit. I always knew that burning hotel points for air miles was a bad proposition (until you hit Marriott Travel Package levels) but I don't think I was aware of quite how bad it really was.

My valuations are independent of *how* I get the points: they're based on how I use them. (Yes, I realize that the hotel chains will all sell me a small amount of points for less than I can actually redeem them for. Smart business on their part from a cashflow perspective, but it doesn't really change my math.)
You can buy 1K choice preferred miles for $11. It takes 5K to transfer, so that hit would be $55; cheapest one after SPG and PC =/

http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-...i.KXwyOgVKri.1
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
La Quinta

Is a partner for hotel stay hits
but
is NOT a partner for hotel point transfer hits

Source
La Quinta is a partner for both hotel stay hits and hotel point transfer hits. Source
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:23 pm

OK, this is good to keep in mind - it looks like La Quinta and Choice can both be had in the $55-60 range or, allowing value to the miles generated from the transfer itself, $40-45. I'm willing to accept the cost-of-acquisition as the value since I don't generally have a need for these motels to begin with. (When we go rural, we go all the way rural and tent camp. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.