FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-2011-grand-slam-promotion-684/)
-   -   Grand Slam 2011 FAQ is up (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-2011-grand-slam-promotion/1249944-grand-slam-2011-faq-up.html)

tovaz Aug 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti (Post 16971643)
Ohhh I hadn't considered that... that would be dreamy. I'll just barely squeak by to be CP again but my Mr is far short and this would really put a smile on both of our faces as we'd not have to spend one of our very few remaining free weekends flying to wherever and back!

Blashpemey. You can never be too rich or too thin and you can never have too many RDM. :D

Very true, you can't have enough RDM, but some with a different color would be just so extra special about November!

MightyTravels Aug 22, 2011 1:46 pm

I'd be very interested to hear about your 2010 experience with Hertz - I have a local Hertz (basically next door) here as well with $25 daily rate. Can you verify regular (non-airport) rentals are good enough?

mikeef Aug 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by highman123 (Post 16972340)
I'd be very interested to hear about your 2010 experience with Hertz - I have a local Hertz (basically next door) here as well with $25 daily rate. Can you verify regular (non-airport) rentals are good enough?

I can verify that, last year, some people used a non-airport location and did not get points/miles. Don't know if anyone actually did get miles with those non-airport locations.

Slocouple's advice is worth following.

Mike

canesfan Aug 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple (Post 16972217)
Don't know about Hertz, but be very, very careful to check to see if off-airport rentals earn miles (and therefore, hits.) We had 4 Avis rentals not count last year before we figured out that Avis off-airport are non-mileage-earning.

Thanks for the feedback. I live in Charlotte and the local Hertz is literally right across the street from my work and we always rent from them for business trips. Last year rented from them twice during Grand Slam and got 100 miles for each trip.

This was for short business trips - Just checked my old expense reports and both rentals were for 2 days each time...

MightyTravels Aug 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Ok, you got me confused.

Avis/Budget - most non-airport rentals do not earn GS hits
Hertz - they all do (?)
Dollar/ Thrifty - any inputs?

maksimfa Aug 22, 2011 3:31 pm

May have to do with the fact that an Avis rental, I believe you need to make sure you put your dividend miles number in, and you pay the extra surchage for it? Or is it alamo.

dwcatty Aug 23, 2011 10:55 am

Originally Posted by highman123 (Post 16972340)

I had five Hertz Local Edition rentals last year that all got me 100 miles and a hit. Cost (ai) ranged from $13.15 to $14.68 for each 15 minute rental. These were all done on different days.

Open Jaw Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty (Post 16978544)
I had five Hertz Local Edition rentals last year that all got me 100 miles and a hit. Cost (ai) ranged from $13.15 to $14.68 for each 15 minute rental. These were all done on different days.

This may be a real stupid question but I need to know the answer. Are you saying that you rented a car for only 15 minutes, paid only about $15 and earn miles for the rental???

dwcatty Aug 23, 2011 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Open Jaw (Post 16978616)
This may be a real stupid question but I need to know the answer. Are you saying that you rented a car for only 15 minutes, paid only about $15 and earn miles for the rental???

Not a stupid question. Never drove the car. Essentially bought a hit.

NewArrival Aug 23, 2011 11:29 am

A lot of us enjoyed that last year. Rent and return in one motion, repeat. In fact many of us who had no use for rentals completed all six at counters with friendly agents willing to do the paperwork without starting an engine, once we explained the promo. Some agents are flexible and even get a laugh out of it.

canesfan Aug 23, 2011 11:30 am

I believe a lot of people checked in right after they checked out with a car, telling car rental place I'm only renting for the miles. Some people did say the car rep looked confused, but after explaining what they were doing, they had not problem with it... Some people even had success renting 6 cars on the same day, then checking right back in as soon as they checked out. I believe those people said it took about 1 hour to process all rentals or so...

Open Jaw Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks guy. Learned something new!

mrredskin Aug 23, 2011 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Open Jaw (Post 16978804)
Thanks guy. Learned something new!

more like 5 minutes a rental... not 15 :)

FlightNurse Aug 23, 2011 11:52 am

Not at Dollar Rental its not..

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 16978877)
more like 5 minutes a rental... not 15 :)

Shanye2233 Aug 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Nothing in Australia allows renting cars for 5 mins it's a min 24hours . Well it's a min 24 hour rate, you can rent and return in 5 mins but still costs you a day.

Can I use the car rental companies US based online and rent for less than a day ?:confused: