Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DXB <<->> DOH: Are these flights ALWAYS Empty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres

Looking at the IAD<<->>DXB loads, it appears that these flights (UA976, UA977) go out relatively full most days, with some middle seats open but very few other seats open and the premium cabins fairly full as well. The continuation of UA976 and the beginning of UA977, however, between DXB and DOH, look extremely empty every day I have checked.

This add-on DOH leg has been up and running for almost a year. What are people's experiences with it? Is it always empty? I saw a good discussion on crew utilization for the DOH legs and so the marginal cost may be relatively low to add this short flight but I am curious about folks' impressions of these extra legs. What are the other reasons United started and has stuck with this add-on? It reminds me of the add-on to SGN that UA started a few years ago (with a 744), which has since been downgraded to a 73.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Cargo could be one. I've seen it busy a few times but agree that it is often quite empty.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Is it cheaper to park at DOH than DXB? I remember that UA had a LHR-BRU flight for a while becuase it was way cheaper to park at BRU...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Is it cheaper to park at DOH than DXB? I remember that UA had a LHR-BRU flight for a while becuase it was way cheaper to park at BRU...
Although that also had to do with the need to use landing slots at LHR.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Military traffic probably plays a role also.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I thought that was to keep the LHR slot? The flight went XXX-LHR-BRU-LHR-XXX in the winter when traffic was down.

Correct me if I am wrong:
Originally Posted by milepig
Although that also had to do with the need to use landing slots at LHR.
I didn't see Milepig above. Thank you.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Thanks for the information. Interesting indeed. I am looking forward to flying this route this spring.

If RON pricing is at issue, am I correct to interpret that the 777 flying IAD-DXB never turned around and returned to IAD the same day, before the DOH add-on was added? I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately so my aircraft utilization management skills are a bit rusty but I would have thought that ~7 or 8 hours at an out-station would have been enough for United to simply turn the 777 around for the return flight to IAD and avoid a RON. And it appears that this is exactly what happens in DOH now (plane arrives around 630p and returns to IAD via DXB around 915pm.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I was on UA976 in October; it was indeed very empty. Only two passengers (including me) in the forward business cabin.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kurt
I was on UA976 in October; it was indeed very empty. Only two passengers (including me) in the forward business cabin.
Any meal?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Any meal?
More like a small snack: a cheese, tomato and lettuce sandwich, a bag of Lay's potato chips and a Kit Kat bar. And a glass of red wine.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:53 am

Question

Has anyone tried purchasing a one-way ticket IAD-DXB-DOH and then getting off the plane in DXB after arriving from IAD? In other words, not continuing on to DOH from DXB?

I'm curious if you received the rdm's and eqm's credited to your account for IAD-DXB, or if UA failed to post your miles as a 'punishment' for jumping off early?

(Yes, I know that if it's booked as part of a r/t, the remainder of your itin will be cancelled; and yes, I'm aware that if you bags are checked through to DOH, that'll be an issue; and yes, I appreciate that the entry visa requirements for the UAE are different than they are for Qatar. My question above is about the ramifications on earning miles, since this is FT, and it's all about the miles......)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Without knowing the times it should also be considered that flying back to IAD shortly after makes less sense logistically. There would need to be a crew (or crews available), plus the arrival times would need to line up with a bank of flights in IAD to make it worth it. (IE flight leave DXB get into IAD at 2 AM, lack of facilities may say no. There might be enough time left on the plane for the afternoon to drop off AND pick-up pax in DOH.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
I thought that was to keep the LHR slot? The flight went XXX-LHR-BRU-LHR-XXX in the winter when traffic was down.
I wish they still did that
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
The KWI-BAH turn is also fairly empty most of the time. I asked a friend in UA's route management department if tags actually made any money and he said that they love 'em. Sure, a near-empty 777 makes the KWI-BAH or DXB-DOH turns every day, but sometimes they're nearly packed with contractors, military and government people. Many of them are on YCA fares. I guess it all works out in the mix.

And as star_world mentioned, I'm sure cargo being sent to the military bases in BAH and DOH accounts for a few bucks here and there.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kurt
More like a small snack: a cheese, tomato and lettuce sandwich, a bag of Lay's potato chips and a Kit Kat bar. And a glass of red wine.
On a plate? (did I miss this in Let's Eat?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.