Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IK Line Supervisor: "You can't use a GPU to upgrade a ps flight Sir!"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 8:50 am
Original Poster

I just booked another ps flight in July: LAX-JFK-LAX roundtrip in coach.

My LAX-JFK outbound had R4/RN4 space, so I called to use a GPU to upgrade the segment. I am 1K.

Called the 1K line. Took about 30 minutes of the agent fumbling around but eventually she booked it and confirmed it.

An hour later my cell rang: Agent called to tell me her supervisor said I can't use a GPU on a ps flight. I asked to talk to Supervisor and told her that this is incorrect, I had done this before and can she please double check. She checked with a another supervisor. "No Sir, you cannot use a GPU on a ps flight unless fare is W or higher" / "That is only for international flights" I said. The answer back was NO.

I asked her to check again. I got another supervisor on phone. She told me same thing. NO. I persisted and said "Please show me on United.com this policy"

I got a THIRD supervisor - they directed me to the website, and of course once there there in plain writing was the fact that you can use a GPU on a ps flight, no need for W fare. "I did not know this" said supervisor.

3 supervisors and 1 agent on 1K line, INSISTING that I can't use a GPU on ps. How can 1K peeps not know a simple thing like that a full 2 months after the merger, how can they not know the basic benefits of a 1K? And even when questioned by me come back and give wrong answer 3 times, raising their voice at me.

How many people call and get told that and settle for their answer.

I'm writing to 1K voice to complain. This is crazy!
Old May 4, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Oh my. Well, thanks for posting this experience. It's a good caution to not necessarily take even a supervisor's claim at face value if we know otherwise.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, United MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TIMOS
I'm writing to 1K voice to complain. This is crazy!
Curious to see if you get a response. I emailed 1Kvoice about similar p.s. difficulty over a week ago and haven't received a response yet.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Maybe this is one of the "enhancements" planned for later this year, once they're clear of the aa match.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
I must say, that's pretty awful. Not to hijack your thread, but I'm grumpy with the latest snafu with the 1k desk: the agent insisted that they cannot waitlist a RPU upgrade for a domestic flight 550 miles in length just because it can't clear right away. The flight is not sold out in first, for sure, and I figure the airline is just holding back seats in the first class cabin to try to sell them longer. So far, these are changes I do not like, Jeff-I-Am!
Old May 4, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
I had a similar situation last month, though not as frustrating as yours.

Called the 1K desk and had an agent book me on a PS flight. Then asked to apply a RPU and was told the flight was not eligible. I kind of laughed, more out of shock/annoyance and thought he was joking. He kept repeatedly telling me that it was not valid at all (regardless of fare).

I stood my ground and insisted that he check with a supervisor. After a solid 15 minute wait, he came back and apologized, saying that it was new info for him.

So at least I didnt have to talk to 3 supervisors like you did, but still frustrating nonetheless and a clear indication of how much more training is clearly left to do.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
This outcome is really a reflection of the fact that all other assertions aside there really is no dedicated 1K desk/line anymore. The calls seem to just get routed to any random agent who pretends like you have reached what they call a "Premier Line". The word 1K has vanished from United's vocabulary in my interactions with UA staff.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Why didn't you just upgrade it yourself online? Would have saved yourself the time you spent on the phone and the time to write this thread.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Why didn't you just upgrade it yourself online? Would have saved yourself the time you spent on the phone and the time to write this thread.
Since 3/3 I don't trust anything done online or electronically after reading stories here on FT. I always call to get a human to confirm upgrades for me. Pers preference,
Old May 4, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Welcome to COdbaUA, the airline that cares so much about everything and thinks we'll like the changes

What an awful experience - I know just how much fun it is to call up the 'new' 1K line and deal with the agents there for the simplest of tasks and getting transferred all over the place.

I guess I'll need to know this in the future and be prepared to talk to supervisors and supervisors to get something simple like this addressed.

-jeremy
Old May 4, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
The word 1K has vanished from United's vocabulary in my interactions with UA staff.
The actually tried to make it disappear entirely and replace with "Diamond", believe it or not.

PMUA...all we have are names now.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:28 am

I really like co agents, they are kind and friendly and sometimes call you back. However, this PS thing must be new to them. Just my guess that this was not a dtw/ord/hnl call center
Old May 4, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by TIMOS
Since 3/3 I don't trust anything done online or electronically after reading stories here on FT. I always call to get a human to confirm upgrades for me. Pers preference,
Online upgrades work great post 3/3. You've now read that on FT.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
I'm beginning to really get how painful this 3/3 transition, saga, FAIL, charlie foxtrot, royal farking mess (or your expletive of choice) is. One of these days I'll search and post a few more frustrating experiences after checking they haven't already been posted a zillion times by fellow FlyerTalkers, but let's just say anytime soon I see someone post a comment that the reservations line seems to be poorly trained to deal correctly with upgrade or rebooking issues after the transition, I will be violently nodding my head in agreement, so far things have been terrible. Unfortunately flight rebookings usually can't be done online when I've tried.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Online upgrades work great post 3/3. You've now read that on FT.
Not if you used an e-cert they don't

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.