Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has a date been given when CO and UA will stop operations as separate carriers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:23 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

I have looked at future flight schedules and find UA and CO listed flights even into Jan. 2013.

Has a date been announced when the 2 carriers will cease operations as individual carriers?

If you know of such a date, can you please cite your information source in this thread? Thanks.

UAInsider gives us on 2/15 the official information on the dates the codes will cease in post #45 in this thread. (however, CO and UA crews will still not be totally intermixed for all flights)

Last edited by mkr; Feb 15, 2012 at 6:13 pm Reason: updated information
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
They already have a single operating certificate, but they have different contracts, so who knows?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
March 3
They do have their soc (single operating certificate) that they received November 30. On march third they are planning to be on one computer system and that's when only united.com will exist which means the continental name is done . Starting march third it is a single passenger system. Co and UA aircraft can use any gate at any airport and agents can see both the UA and CO system.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
From a passenger perspective then I agree, March 3 pretty much seems to be the date.
However, internally the fleets and crews will still remain separate until union representation has been voted on and new contracts signed. In that respect, America West still has not completed merging US Airways into "NewS Airways"
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
the combined FA union has been chosen already: AFA.

Originally Posted by steve64
From a passenger perspective then I agree, March 3 pretty much seems to be the date.
However, internally the fleets and crews will still remain separate until union representation has been voted on and new contracts signed. In that respect, America West still has not completed merging US Airways into "NewS Airways"
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:07 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by UA767400
March 3
They do have their soc (single operating certificate) that they received November 30. On march third they are planning to be on one computer system and that's when only united.com will exist which means the continental name is done . Starting march third it is a single passenger system. Co and UA aircraft can use any gate at any airport and agents can see both the UA and CO system.
This only means that continental.com will be gone and both carriers will be using using one computer system after March 3. However, both carriers will still be operating as CO or UA.

I already am aware of the March 3 date. What I want to know is a date when there will only be UA flights listed. I have searched the threads on FT and also have read official announcements about the merger process and have not seen a date posted anywhere.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm Reason: spelling correction
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by amartin1979
the combined FA union has been chosen already: AFA.
Right, but there is no unified contract. UA FAs can only work UA planes, and CO FAs can only work CO planes until this is sorted.

This will very much be like a US-HP situation, though while US has US East (US) and US West (HP), this one will likely be UA North (UA) and UA South (CO).
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by mkr
This only means that continental.com will be gone and both carriers will be using using one computer system after March 3. However, both carriers will still be operating as CO or UA.

I already am aware of the March 3 date. What I want to know is a date when there will only be UA flights listed. I have searched the threads on FT and also have read official announcements about the merger process and have not seen a date posted anywhere.
As of 3/3 you'll only see UA flights listed. Internally there will still be separation as far as what crew is eligible for what flight, but this is not something publicly visible. There isn't a date (at least announced) yet as to when the same crew can be on the 738 as a320.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As far as I'm concerned they will be separate airlines until E+ is installed throughout the fleet. After that, I can stop worrying about which airline will be operating my flight.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Legacy CO flights will still say UA flt XXX operated by Continental Airlines for awhile.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rubbernyc
Legacy CO flights will still say UA flt XXX operated by Continental Airlines for awhile.
Is this because of the aforementioned union wrangling that hasn't been resolved?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:12 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Yup!

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As far as I'm concerned they will be separate airlines until E+ is installed throughout the fleet. After that, I can stop worrying about which airline will be operating my flight.
+1
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:51 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by okrogius
As of 3/3 you'll only see UA flights listed. Internally there will still be separation as far as what crew is eligible for what flight, but this is not something publicly visible. There isn't a date (at least announced) yet as to when the same crew can be on the 738 as a320.
Thanks okrogius. Would you please cite your official source of this information with reference so we can all read this information? Thanks again.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
I too wondered the same thing as the OP.

Please do correct me if I am wrong here, but...

Based on the answers here, from 3/3 and beyond, the name Continental Airlines will only be as revelant as ExpressJet, Colgan, or SkyWest when it comes to one's ticket?

Will all check-in be unified, or will there still be Continental and United checkin? Baggage service? Will there be one call center?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Is this because of the aforementioned union wrangling that hasn't been resolved?
Possibly, I'm sure there will be some wrangling until all issues are sorted. I've asked at the Platinum desk various times over the last couple of weeks and they always say it will be UA flt operated by CO until further notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.