Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel to Europe or Africa for up to 25% fewer award miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most

Just received the following email:

Fewer award miles. Great destinations.
Book an economy Saver Award from the United States* to Europe or Central/Southern Africa and save up to 25% off the regular award miles price. Hurry, the sale ends January 16, 2012.

Travel for up to 25% fewer award miles.

Explore someplace new and exciting or revisit one of your favorite cities with a Saver Award on a United flight. Best of all, you can experience it all using up to 25% fewer miles.

Plus, you can save on Continental® flights too. Link and transfer your MileagePlus miles to a valid OnePass® account, then book on continental.com.

Summing up the sale:
• Get Details: Find out about the sale.
• Enjoy flexibility: Save on travel between January 27 and March 22, 2012 (one Saturday night stay is required).
• Save more: 20% on peak day travel and 25% on off-peak day travel.
• Get miles: If you're short on award miles you can buy the miles you need.

Sample Markets
Miles needed for a roundtrip
Washington D.C - Dulles and Accra 60,000
Los Angeles and London 45,000
Chicago and Munich 45,000

*off peak travel (Monday - Wednesday)

Book your trip by January 16, 2012 to save.

*Offer valid for flights originating in the U.S. (including Alaska), excluding Hawaii.

Terms and Conditions:
1. Reduced mileage levels valid for redemption only until 11:59 p.m. CT on January 16, 2012.

2. Member must travel between January 27, 2012 and March 22, 2012.

3. Reduced award mileage prices apply only to travel on United® and United Express®-operated flight. Not applicable on flights operated by other airlines.

4. The Reduced mileage prices also apply for travel on Continental® or Continental Express® if you use miles from your OnePass® account. MileagePlus miles can be transferred to your OnePass account at www.united.com/linkmyaccounts.

5. Valid for travel from the US (D49) and Europe and from the US (D49) and Central/South Africa.

6. Reduced awards only valid on round-trip travel on a Saver award.

7. Stopovers are not permitted.

8. A 21 day advance purchase is required.

9. Save 20% on peak travel days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and 25% on off-peak travel days (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday).

10. Can combine peak and off-peak.

11. Open jaw allowed within the same region (i.e. fly into LHR and out of FRA).

12. This offer cannot be applied to previously issued tickets.

13. Saturday night stay required.

14. Valid on all-miles or Miles & Money awards when available.

15. Taxes and fees associated with award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. Award tickets are subject to applicable departure taxes, federal inspection fees, passenger facility charges, and other fees, charges or taxes, and the person utilizing the award is responsible for the payment of any such items that may apply. Any valid unused award ticket may be returned to the MileagePlus Service Center, for a service charge, up to one year from the date of issue.

16. Award space is subject to availability, and capacity-control restrictions apply. Only a limited number of seats are available at the reduced rate for each market. Travel on award tickets is not eligible for mileage accrual in United MileagePlus or any other frequent flyer program.

17. Not combinable with other offers.

18. Award only eligible for travel in United Economy.

19. No upgrades are permitted on award travel tickets.

20. Changes to travel dates are permitted in advance by calling United Reservations. Changes may be subject to additional service fees up to $150 per ticket (based on account status from where miles were redeemed):

• After an award ticket is issued, applicable service charge may be imposed for each change requested by the member that necessitates the re-issuance of the ticket.

• If a wholly unused ticket is exchanged for travel outside of the validity period, the mileage will be credited back into the member’s account for the applicable service charge, and a new ticket will be issued at the appropriate number of miles for the new award.

• On a partially used ticket, if the new travel date requested is outside of the validity period, a new one-way ticket needs to be purchased or a new one-way award at the applicable mileage level needs to be redeemed. The unused return ticket is not valid for travel and cannot be credited back into the member’s account.

21. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

22. Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program. The MileagePlus program, including accruals, awards and bonus miles offers, is subject to change without notice. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus program, visit united.com.

MPG012

Last edited by holtju2; Jan 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm Reason: links added
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thanks, holtju2. I've been trying to find if it's already up, but you're it.

A couple of quick tests turned over a couple of rocks: T&C say all flights must be on United metal. But, for example, IAD-MAD is on Aer Lingus, and it's in on the sale (and for which I was seeing "46,500" miles -- 22% off). And I don't find anything by UA to southern Africa - even bookable at all - so it appears to be out. So I wonder if they're overstating the geography of the sale. Also, for the itineraries I hunted on, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are scarce.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Central/Southern Africa is defined here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53370,00.html

Since it's limited to UA metal, the destinations are ACC and LOS.

Also make sure you're searching 21 days out with a Saturday night minimum stay.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
The T&C state that this is for economy only with a Saturday night stay. On .bomb, if you do one way in C and one way in Y, the discount does not seem to apply to the Y segment. However, on the CO site, one way in C and one way in Y does receive the discount on the Y leg. These results were found when searching ABQ-GVA in March.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:16 pm

I can't get this to work anymore on CO, only on UA. The dates and class should be eligible for the discount but it's still coming up as costing 30k miles each way, even for flights on CO metal. I searched a few days ago speculatively and it worked but today I can't get it to come up. Anyone else have this issue?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
hmmm always on the down-low...an email from UA would have been nice...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dgoedken
hmmm always on the down-low...an email from UA would have been nice...
one when out 6th January -- if your UA e-mail options are opt-in and your spam filter didn't block
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
one when out 6th January -- if your UA e-mail options are opt-in and your spam filter didn't block

You're right. I didn't have it selected. I think I went thru and cancelled them all b/c the mileage summaries were always wrong compared to logging into my account...and also was hoping to get a few bonus miles for signing up...again
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Click all the way through to get the discount

I booked RT ewr-cdg at 45,000 miles from spouses's non Elite account. The flights initially show up at 30k each but after you select both the miles needed drops to 45k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.