Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any lounge access with shower in Brussels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Flying Continental to Brussels (from Newark) in economy class (ugh). Is there any way to get access to a lounge with a shower upon arrival? I'm Star Alliance Gold (including Continental Gold), and I also have two Presidents Club coupons (but I don't see one listed for Brussels).

The Brussels Airlines website says that there's lounge entry "With a same day departure boarding pass on a Star Alliance partner operated flight" and that it also allows a companion to enter.

Oh, a shower after the trans-Atlantic flight would be great.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2011, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no *A benefit for access to any lounges on arrival. Unless you are continuing onwards from BRU on *A metal you're not going to have access to any free showers. Hopefully your hotel can get you an early check-in.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks. No hotel in Brussels. Spending a full day there before heading out to another location, which is why a shower would be welcomed.

Departure-only seems silly. I don't need a shower before taking off. After arrival makes more sense.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by dimsumfan
Thanks. No hotel in Brussels. Spending a full day there before heading out to another location, which is why a shower would be welcomed.

Departure-only seems silly. I don't need a shower before taking off. After arrival makes more sense.
*A intends that lounge access on departure only as opposed to ST, where you are allowed lounge access on departure and arrival. You would also need a valid BP to get into the schengen section of BRU as well.

If you are departing what is technically the same day, you could try checking in and getting a BP and going into the Schengen area for a shower. I've had same day meetings at ICN a few times and I've used my itinerary to get through transfer security, get my BP for 12-16 hours later and use the OZ C lounge for an "arrival" shower.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:38 am

If you want lounge access both on arrival and departure then go for SkyTeam; I'm pretty sure they still offer that benefit. Otherwise the rules for *A is prior to a flight; there is no arrivals access.

Or fly in C where there are arrivals facilities offered.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

ande777emt, thanks for your explanation. I should have been clearer about "heading out"--I mean by train.

sbm12, what do you mean by "Fly in C"--what is "C"?
Old May 9, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you want lounge access both on arrival and departure then go for SkyTeam; I'm pretty sure they still offer that benefit. Otherwise the rules for *A is prior to a flight; there is no arrivals access.

Have things changed in the last year in BRU? Last time I was there the only *A lounge that even had showers was in the "Africa Zone" where you needed a flight departing to Africa to enter.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
ande777emt, thanks for your explanation. I should have been clearer about "heading out"--I mean by train.

C is code for business class (also refered to as J).

Also, looking on some of the loungeguides, seems to indicate 2 *A lounges, SN and SK.

And it indicates none have showers.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Have things changed in the last year in BRU? Last time I was there the only *A lounge that even had showers was in the "Africa Zone" where you needed a flight departing to Africa to enter.
The Sunrise Lounge is the only *A-operated lounge that has showers but the non-Schengen SN lounge that US used gave me a voucher to the pay lounge next door that does offer showers. This was August 12, 2010.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
The Sunrise Lounge is the only *A-operated lounge that has showers but the non-Schengen SN lounge that US used gave me a voucher to the pay lounge next door that does offer showers. This was August 12, 2010.
Wow--the SN Schengen lounge just told me I was out of luck.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CJ99
Wow--the SN Schengen lounge just told me I was out of luck.
Hmm. I'm doing the same flight this Sunday, but then on SN to Paris. I assume I can use that Schengen lounge after passport control.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
As others have said - If you are departing within Schengen the same day, even if it is 12 hours later - just head over to the Schengen side and see what you can do. BTW, your President's Club coupons are irrelevant here - you have access to any and all *G lounges (there are actually both *G and *S lounges at BRU) if you are departing on a same day, *A flight since you are a *G. Just show the BP and your card.

AFAIK, there are no arrivals facilities at BRU

C is code for business class, particularly on 3 class airlines and particularly on United - where Business Class was formerly known as Connoisseur Class.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Hmm. I'm doing the same flight this Sunday, but then on SN to Paris. I assume I can use that Schengen lounge after passport control.
Yes. You should now also be able to use the fast track security line (the one on the right that really is much faster), as it has been expanded to all *Gs. You go past passport control and customs, walk down the corridor to the right, and you are there. It is a bit convoluted, however, to get to the SN lounges. Once you take the escalator up to the departure gates level, you have to find a corridor that is a bit hidden and (as I recall) take an elevator to the level with all the lounges.
Old May 10, 2011, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
AFAIK, there are no arrivals facilities at BRU
It is listed here: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...amenities.aspx.

Might be a hotel, not a lounge, but it would be offered for arrivals on CO, which is what the OP is doing.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

It is listed here: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...amenities.aspx.

Might be a hotel, not a lounge, but it would be offered for arrivals on CO, which is what the OP is doing.
I just called CO to ask about that, but they hold firm that there's no lounge in BRU. (They didn't seem to care about my attempt to give them feedback to update the page to not mislead people.)
Old May 10, 2011, 8:21 pm

There is a Sheraton right in the airport. I suggest giving them a ring to see if they have any options for non-guests to use the gym.

I remember a few years back I had a flight into AMS and was able to use the shower in the gym at the airport Sheraton for a fee (without being a guest).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.